Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey -Replacement soundtrack CD available- Out now!

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Why do people keep comparing this to the Persona series?[/QUOTE]
Because there are similar elements, both are of the same universe, and more people probably have played a Persona game before any other Shin Megami Tensei game. But the first Persona, which was recently remade for the PSP, has a similar style of dungeon exploration without the overworld or style that Persona had.
[quote name='Gourd']Frisky, one of the things I /don't/ like about the Persona games is the calendar system? Where it seems like you have a very limited amount of time to get various things done? Such as building social ties and such.

Is that in this game?[/QUOTE]
No social networking elements. Just exploring and fighting in dungeons and recuperating (healing, buying new equipment, and other stuff) at your ship.

Thanks for answering! I think I'll put this on my buy list, as that was the only thing I found annoying about the Persona games.

For the record I own Persona 2,3, and 4. Out of the 'pure' SMT games, I own both Digital Devil Saga. I also own and have enjoyed the Devil Summoner pair of games available for PS2. As far as I'm concerned, these are all SMT games. Perhaps I don't know any better.

[quote name='Gourd']Thanks for answering! I think I'll put this on my buy list, as that was the only thing I found annoying about the Persona games.

For the record I own Persona 2,3, and 4. Out of the 'pure' SMT games, I own both Digital Devil Saga. I also own and have enjoyed the Devil Summoner pair of games available for PS2. As far as I'm concerned, these are all SMT games. Perhaps I don't know any better.[/QUOTE]
It's not really your fault, Atlus just sticks SMT on the box of every SMT-like game they make. Sometimes at the cost of a game's actual subtitle. Technically the only "pure" SMT games in America are III: Nocturne and Strange Journey.

How is the story? Character development? I'm kind of on the edge with this game because it looks like another SMT3 where there's no real development with your party members since they are all created monsters. That really turned me off to the game.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']How is the story? Character development? I'm kind of on the edge with this game because it looks like another SMT3 where there's no real development with your party members since they are all created monsters. That really turned me off to the game.[/QUOTE]
The story is pretty good, though it's a bit heavy handed with all of the dungeons being themed after the worst parts of humanity (war, poverty, etc.) and the demons you talk to preach that humans brought the destruction of the Earth upon themselves and all that good stuff. Your ship being the only one that survives the journey into the Schwartzwelt, you're looking for the other ships and any survivors, finding out what the Schwartzwelt is, and finding a way out.

Your party isn't part of the character development since the demons you employ are basically demonic Pokemon that you're controlling. Character development mostly comes through in the members of your team that go out into the field with you or stay on the ship, with two of the survivors of the other ships being sort of the devil/angel on your shoulder throughout most of the game.

Anyone have any opinions on this vs Infinite Space? I've heard very good things about both and they come out within a week of each other.

I originally had this pre-ordered, but I just cancelled it today. I honestly don't see myself playing this anytime soon, if at all really. I have a hard time following "futuristic space games", nothing against them but it just doesn't seem like my cup of tea. I'll have a huge backloggery of RPG's already. Not to mention Persona 3 is the only SMT game I've played, even though I own most of the ones released in US.

Gameplay trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaGTapB7ufc

IRVINE, CALIFORNIA -- MARCH 17, 2010 -- Atlus U.S.A., Inc. today unveiled a gameplay trailer for Shin Megami Tensei®: Strange Journey™ for Nintendo DS™, the greatly anticipated sci-fi RPG releasing next week. The gameplay trailer gives fans an early look at some of the haunting demons they will face during their epic journey through this startlingly original entry in the award-winning Shin Megami Tensei universe.

In the near future, a mysterious, growing, black void appears at the Earth's southern pole. Unable to determine its cause and powerless to stop its deadly encroachment, humanity sends an elite team of explorers into the heart of the phenomenon, just as Strange Journey's look and feel represent a return to the heart of Shin Megami Tensei, bringing to mind the all-time classic Nocturne™. With over 300 demons to bribe, coerce, and negotiate with to gain assistance in battle, Strange Journey is every bit the deep, rewarding RPG experience fans have come to expect from the SMT franchise, yet delivered with a fresh new sci-fi story that taps into mature themes of morality and introspection.

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey is scheduled to release on March 23rd with an MSRP of $34.99. Each and every launch copy will be a premium boxed set with a bonus CD featuring music from the game included at no additional cost. Guarantee yourself a copy and pre-order today! Check out the official website at http://www.atlus.com/strangejourney.

My review is now live.

[quote name='Kissfuldreamer']I originally had this pre-ordered, but I just cancelled it today. I honestly don't see myself playing this anytime soon, if at all really. I have a hard time following "futuristic space games", nothing against them but it just doesn't seem like my cup of tea. I'll have a huge backloggery of RPG's already. Not to mention Persona 3 is the only SMT game I've played, even though I own most of the ones released in US.[/QUOTE]
There's nothing futuristic or space-like about the game, as it's set on Earth maybe one year or so in the future at most.

I'd love to see them do an endurance run since I could see them liking that game a lot. Just so you guys know, they're pretty much doing tutorials for most of the video. They probably should've waited until they landed in the Schwartzwelt to start the video.

http://www.atlus.com/strangejourneycd/

The soundtrack CD that came with the games is defective (It only plays on computers, you would need to burn it to a CD-R/RW to play it in a CD player). Luckily, Atlus is offering a replacement soundtrack CD that fixes this problem, and its available at the above link.
strangejourney_replacementcd.jpg

strangejourney_replacementcd_instructions.jpg

Wow. Between this and the Demon's Souls strategy guide thing, Atlus must be spending a fortune on fixing these screw-ups.

My copy of Strange Journey hasn't actually arrived yet (Amazon has been really slow to ship for some reason -- they've still got it as "being prepared for shipment" even though it was a pre-order!), but I'm assuming this is a universal issue, so I went ahead and ordered my replacement.

[quote name='xycury']out of stock.

me thinks that alot of people who didn't buy the game, put an order through :|[/QUOTE]

As fnord and arcane93 implied above, it's now back in stock. So folks, if you have the game, I recommend putting in an order before/if it goes out of stock again.

[quote name='Kissfuldreamer']The soundtrack no longer even seems to be included with the game. Guess Amazon got word about the screw-up.[/QUOTE]

Well that is a bummer. I planned to get the game eventually, and did not care about the soundtrack only working in a PC, since that is exactly where it would have been going. Oh well.

[quote name='Kissfuldreamer']The soundtrack no longer even seems to be included with the game. Guess Amazon got word about the screw-up.[/QUOTE]

What? You got it from Amazon and it didn't have the disc?

I was promised a soundtrack with my pre-order, which was placed over two months before the release date. Amazon still has not shipped my order for some reason, but when it does finally arrive, it had goddamn well better have a soundtrack with it. Even if Amazon did "get word" of the issue, they have no business removing it from the shipment if that's what they're doing.

And yes, it does matter despite the replacement offer, because from what their site says, Atlus is only sending a replacement of the disc, not the sleeve for it.

I almost wonder, though, if this unusual delay in shipment from Amazon might mean that they're waiting for replacements from Atlus. Would be nice if they'd send some kind of notice if that's the case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazon is usually pretty good about sending pre-order bonuses, even if they have removed the notice from the web site. When I ordered Metroid Prime Trilogy during that B2G1 sale last October/November, I was surprised that they sent me the pre-order bonus poster with it.

Besides, Atlus usually packages the CD with the game itself for all launch copies, like they did with the soundtrack for SRT OG Saga.

[quote name='Cao Cao']Amazon is usually pretty good about sending pre-order bonuses, even if they have removed the notice from the web site. When I ordered Metroid Prime Trilogy during that B2G1 sale last October/November, I was surprised that they sent me the pre-order bonus poster with it.

Besides, Atlus usually packages the CD with the game itself for all launch copies, like they did with the soundtrack for SRT OG Saga.[/QUOTE]

Oh, heh. I assumed that they had meant that they had actually gotten a copy of the game that didn't have the soundtrack with it. But you're right, maybe they just meant that it was removed from the web site.

^Sorry, that's what I meant. I checked on Strange Journey after it had already been released and they were still offering the soundtrack even if you had not pre-ordered it, but it's been taken down from the website.

Well, one thing good about Amazon's shipping delay . . . At some point their price on the site dropped to $29.99 (from $34.82 in my pre-order). Of course it didn't auto-adjust (probably because they were in the "preparing to ship" stage, which it's been in for three days now), so I had to call them.

Had no problem getting the price adjustment, but when I asked the guy that I spoke to why it hadn't shipped yet, he didn't seem to be able to understand the question. He kept trying to tell to me that with super saver shipping it could take 5-9 days to get to me after it leaves the warehouse. I tried to explain to him that I knew that, but that what I wanted to know was why it hadn't even left the warehouse yet. After a few attempts, I just gave up.

Oh well, at least I got the price adjustment, which I guess I wouldn't have gotten if they had shipped already. The game will end up sitting in my backlog at least until I finish Lunar: Silver Star Harmony anyway, so I suppose it doesn't matter.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']This is now tempting me at $29.99. What a $5 price drop will do to you...[/QUOTE]

You could have got it for $28 earlier using a gamestop promo code. The only things holding me back are that I have a ton of games to still beat and very little time to play anything thanks to all of my college work. Factor in that I am taking a full slate of summer classes to speed things along and I will have zero time over the summer too.

If we are lucky maybe amazon will do a lightning deal on this like they did for Persona PSP.

Thanks to the person who posted about the CD. I just got the game today so I'm going to test out the soundtrack if it works or not.

I can wait to play. :D I'm going to have to rush on pkmn. >.< Did you guys get the poster? If no one told me it was behind the coverart then I would have never noticed.

Does the game come in a premium box with the soundtrack CD inside? Or the just the game itself with the CD shrinkwrapped to its back? I can't find an actual pic of the game packaging.

Hopefully this link works, but I took a picture of the soundtrack, game case, and big outer box.

Of note: The manual is thick enough to beat small rodents.

I'm enjoying the game so far. My MC is about level 35, and I've got roughly 30% of the Demons registered. The worlds are pretty entertaining, and it's pretty standard demon conversation stuff. It definitely has that SMT difficulty, at least at the beginning of each section. One thing I do need to start doing is using that Demon Password system. I have a pretty good Black Frost that I'm using, so I could always post that.

For anyone that might want a very abridged (and spoiler free) walkthrough, check out the Strange Journey wiki. The side quests (known as Extra Missions, or Exmissions) section is pretty incomplete, but it has maps to help you find hidden stuff if you're stumped.

Yeah I've been enjoying the hell out of this game.

you always have something to do, which makes the grind fest portion of the game feel less like a grind fest because you're always doing something instead of grinding just for the sake of grinding.

[quote name='Kay_Faraday']hows the story[/QUOTE]
Pretty good so far.

It's definitely more shin megami tensei mythology meets science fiction than something like persona.

To summerize what's going on, you're screwed. Like really really screwed, you couldn't possibly be more screwed than how screwed you are now. And it's you and the rest of the crew on your ship trying to figure out a way to get out of this predicament while at the same time being brought into this war between the forces of hell and heaven.

Not enough discussion :cry:

Anyhow, thought I'd add a few useful links for people, as some of this stuff can be pretty damn tough to figure out.

Namely I'm talking about the side missions (known as Extra Missions, shortened via portmanteau to Exmission) but I found some great forum posts (here and here).

I should also add that the bosses are getting into official SMT difficulty. I'm up to the 6th dungeon (real dungeon, I don't count one area that's only two small floors) and have died at least three times to each boss (often times much closer to 10).

Story is pretty decent. The characters can be somewhat bland, but I'm enjoying the overall plot. The different areas, or at least the first five, are pretty varied and were pretty good when I took time to think about them as a whole. I have entered the grindtastic portion though (level 60 currently) so the real fun begins. That's without even mentioning the amount of macca I have to grind so that I can summon different demons for specific boss encounters while also having enough to buy swords/armor/guns/sub-apps.

I stumbled on an amazing site for those playing the game. Just like many sites have done before for Persona 3/4, Devil Summoner, and main MegaTen games, it tells what result you get when fusing certain demons, what demons you'll need to fuse a desired one (Demon Fission), along with a complete list of Special Fusions and the Demon Compendium. It even has a section that will list what demons absorb/reflect/null/ or are strong to elements/physical.

It's pretty much the ultimate source for Strange Journey - here.

Received my soundtrack today too.

I got to the 5th dungeon, and I'm starting to get tired of trying to find my way around in these dungeons. I have no idea what I'm doing right now.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Douchebag.[/QUOTE]
I second this.

Seriously, if you're going to do that you might as well download the entire japanese soundtrack.

Also has anyone else encountered a problem with the third boss. I beat him but I didn't get a special fusion, I also didn't get that much xp. I think it was because I beat him before I could beat his summoned minion.

I probably know the answer to this question already, but I'll ask anyway.
I won't have time to play this game this year; should I buy now since it'll probably become harder to get? It is an Atlus game afterall.

[quote name='ItsAMeAMario']I probably know the answer to this question already, but I'll ask anyway.
I won't have time to play this game this year; should I buy now since it'll probably become harder to get? It is an Atlus game afterall.[/QUOTE]

I've seen this game in a few GameStop stores, but not in any other local stores. I've been kind of surprised by that, because it seemed like every Best Buy around here had copies of Devil Survivor for a while (of course, maybe they didn't get this one because those sat for too long). I don't know if that's any indication of overall availability, but it could be.

You'd probably be safe to wait around for a little bit to see if any kind of good sale offers come up from Amazon or GameStop or whoever, but I don't know that I'd hold out for too long.

Haven't got my soundtrack yet. I sure am loving the game though!

Atlus also sent out some passwords in an email I received today.

strangejourney_demonpasswords_top.jpg

bread's done
Back