Shining Force I + II on the Genesis.... who else is a fan?

coltyhuxx

CAGiversary!
I really loved both of them - preferring two slightly over one. Who else was a big fan of these? What were some of your favorite moments/aspects of either title?

To start it off, I was a big fan of the music in both games. Even the looping battle music was inspiring. There was a particular moment where you had to race to beat a laser cannon. Pretty awesome stuff.

On a more obscure note, I always liked that you and your foes had a lower amount of hit-points... say 50 or 108, instead of 9999 (I'm looking at you Final Fantasy). Why the need to have such huge hit points and damage numbers. I know it's more extreme. I think it just ends up abstracting the damage being done. It also tends to homogonize your characters when the wizard, the theif and the warrior all have 9999 hit points.

Anyway, fans, what do you like about your Shining Forces.

Did any of you get the remake for GBA?

shinforce2-2.gif

I got the remake for GBA... it's supposed to pretty decent. I'm always sad they didn't remake part 2, also.

I used to play these on the Sega Channel constantly, I can't wait for them to go on the VC (Shining Force is coming soon!) so I can play them without paying an arm and a leg, because they are awesome games.

I really liked that you can could "upgrade" your character to a new class, as well.

For me, the GBA Fire Emblem's are pretty damn close in spirit to the Shining Force games.

[quote name='62t']It is a shame that Camelot hasnt work on another SRPG since Shining Force 3[/QUOTE]

It really is. Shining Force didn't over-complicate things but provided an easy-to-get-into experience that still had plenty of strategy to explore. Both games are great, the GBA remake is also awesome, and Domingo rules you all.

It's more of a shame that SEGA has treated this franchise like a complete joke, what with all the hack and slash and spin offs. I don't care if Camelot isn't around, how hard can it be to make a game like Shining Force? They can't find some RPG developers to give it another crack? I guarantee and old school style SRPG Shining Force would sell a HELL of a lot more copies than Shining Force NEO or Shining Force EXA or some other bastardized version of the game.

fuck you, SEGA!

Two of my favorite games of all time.
And two of the only games I've beaten.

I have the remake for GBA but have yet to play it.

Two of my favorite games of all time. Ive played both an uncountable number of times. Shining Force CD was also pretty good but I didnt like that it wasnt as "open" as the other two; ie all of the towns were text based as opposed to exploring.

I hope to God that Sega will release Shining Force 3 and all of the scenarios on the Wii or somewhere!

Shining Force 2 was perfection - the battles, the animation, controlling an army, all the unique design and characters, the idea of promoting characters. It was the first rpg that I owned and I played it over at least 4 times. First time through I stumbled upon that hidden turtle character. I worked my butt levelling him up so that he could withstand a hit.

Played shining force and shining force cd through emulation during college and they were still fun. Tried playing shining force 3 through emulation but it was too slow. Note: shining force final conflict (japanese game for the game gear) was translated a couple of years ago.

I've played a little of the gba version; I prefer the original shining force. The characters in the gba version are too large and take up more screen space. Hate the colors also.

Are there any srpg games like Shining Force 2 i.e. the battles of a strategy game but free roaming/exploring like an rpg? All the nippon ichi games are strategy games like ff:tactics? Battle -> cutscene ->battle?

[quote name='coltyhuxx']I really loved both of them - preferring two slightly over one. Who else was a big fan of these? What were some of your favorite moments/aspects of either title?

To start it off, I was a big fan of the music in both games. Even the looping battle music was inspiring. There was a particular moment where you had to race to beat a laser cannon. Pretty awesome stuff.

On a more obscure note, I always liked that you and your foes had a lower amount of hit-points... say 50 or 108, instead of 9999 (I'm looking at you Final Fantasy). Why the need to have such huge hit points and damage numbers. I know it's more extreme. I think it just ends up abstracting the damage being done. It also tends to homogonize your characters when the wizard, the theif and the warrior all have 9999 hit points.

Anyway, fans, what do you like about your Shining Forces.

Did any of you get the remake for GBA?

shinforce2-2.gif
[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on the Hit Point thing.

I remember my friend going nuts about this game when I was a Kid. I never had a Genesis ( I had SNES ) so he brought that and Shining Force 2 over one day. Man right off the bat that game was fuckign kick ass. The story was amazing. All the character's were remeberable. The battles never got boring or tiresome either.

I loved how you could Promote a Character and how some charcter's could be promoted to different classes. IE Jaha to Blue Baron instead of Warrior with Warrior's Seal or Some Shit. Also the amount of Hidden Charcters and items was kick ass also. I really wish they would bring over Shining Force 3-2 and 3-3 to the US. I know there old but I liked 3-1 and want to finish up the story. They also should stop making those Action RPG's.

The Shining Force Series is better then Fire Emblem is everyway. Sega has a blockbuster game series and really don't realize it.

[quote name='jngx80']Shining Force 2 was perfection - the battles, the animation, controlling an army, all the unique design and characters, the idea of promoting characters. It was the first rpg that I owned and I played it over at least 4 times. First time through I stumbled upon that hidden turtle character. I worked my butt levelling him up so that he could withstand a hit.

Played shining force and shining force cd through emulation during college and they were still fun. Tried playing shining force 3 through emulation but it was too slow. Note: shining force final conflict (japanese game for the game gear) was translated a couple of years ago.

I've played a little of the gba version; I prefer the original shining force. The characters in the gba version are too large and take up more screen space. Hate the colors also.

Are there any srpg games like Shining Force 2 i.e. the battles of a strategy game but free roaming/exploring like an rpg? All the nippon ichi games are strategy games like ff:tactics? Battle -> cutscene ->battle?[/QUOTE]

Dude. I did the same thing. I worked the turtle ( Herbie :) ) to level 20 so I could promote him. He becomes a monster. He's really good against Physical Attacks but any magic attack would kick him in the nuts. He had a really good special attack. The Fire Breath. I liked using him because he was soo much the underdog :)

This thread brings back great memories. Thanks OP!:D

I remember playing both of these. My friend and I beat the first one, and never quite finished the 2nd. I remember the rat, Slade I believe from the first one. I think it was in the 2nd where you had to fight a field of flowers that shot lazers? I'm excited about these dropping on the Wii VC, I'll be up at all hours of the night going through these again.

I was just reminded that Game Informer praised the Chess battles in Burning Crusade as some kind of great idea.

Memo to Game Informer: Shining Force 2 did it first, biatch! I swear, Shining Force 2 has more memorable moments than any other game I've played. The chess battle, going back to get the other 3 characters that you couldn't get the first time, the mithril searching, Lemon's constant attempts at suicide, the Cypress Flowers (was that their name?) battle, the incredible saga of Oddler, I could go on and on.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I was just reminded that Game Informer praised the Chess battles in Burning Crusade as some kind of great idea.

Memo to Game Informer: Shining Force 2 did it first, biatch! I swear, Shining Force 2 has more memorable moments than any other game I've played. The chess battle, going back to get the other 3 characters that you couldn't get the first time, the mithril searching, Lemon's constant attempts at suicide, the Cypress Flowers (was that their name?) battle, the incredible saga of Oddler, I could go on and on.[/QUOTE]

Yea. Sooo Many memorable moments. Lemon was fucking awesome, until he joins your party then he's not sooo good. Has a great special on his sword though.

Are these coming out for Wii VC? If so when is the release date since i'm for sure buying these.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Yea. Sooo Many memorable moments. Lemon was fucking awesome, until he joins your party then he's not sooo good. Has a great special on his sword though.

Are these coming out for Wii VC? If so when is the release date since i'm for sure buying these.[/quote]It won't be out on the Virtual Console. SEGA has treated this franchise like dirt, so don't expect it to get on the Wii. Of course, they WILL put out crappy Shining in the Darkness though, that wouldn't surprise me.

Loved both of these games... I may have to bust out my dreamcast with a sega super pack that has SF2 on it if they aren't going to drop on the VC anytime soon.

HUGE fan, my three favorite games of all time are Shining Force 1, 2, and CD. A SegaCD is forever hooked up to my TV for that game.

Dude. I did the same thing. I worked the turtle ( Herbie :) ) to level 20 so I could promote him. He becomes a monster. He's really good against Physical Attacks but any magic attack would kick him in the nuts. He had a really good special attack. The Fire Breath. I liked using him because he was soo much the underdog

The turtle = enemy bait.
Send him out to the front against physical guys w/ the ambush team behind him but out of range :p

I remember playing both of these. My friend and I beat the first one, and never quite finished the 2nd. I remember the rat, Slade I believe from the first one. I think it was in the 2nd where you had to fight a field of flowers that shot lazers? I'm excited about these dropping on the Wii VC, I'll be up at all hours of the night going through these again.

Slade was from the 2nd. One of those char you had to deal w/ his suckage and pathetic knife for awhile before he becomes the ninja @$$kicker he becomes. Like 2nd or 3rd strongest guy I usually had behind Peter the phoenix who basically cleaned house from minute he joins. Rangy and deadly, gotta love'em.

I loved the Shining Force series. Warsong too which is completely unrelated but also a great game that shared some of the same elements. I just wish I could remember where I packed away my old Sega Genesis to play them again!

Well SOMEONE has to be buying those damn Shining Spin off titles on the PS2. Otherwise Sega wouldn't be making them. If sega was hell bent on losing money, then they would make Shenmue 3 which would appease fans far more then another Shining Force Neo or Shining Wind.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']It won't be out on the Virtual Console. SEGA has treated this franchise like dirt, so don't expect it to get on the Wii. Of course, they WILL put out crappy Shining in the Darkness though, that wouldn't surprise me.[/QUOTE]

Shining Force was already confirmed to be heading to the VC a long time ago, straight from Sega.

[quote name='Paco']Well SOMEONE has to be buying those damn Shining Spin off titles on the PS2. Otherwise Sega wouldn't be making them. If sega was hell bent on losing money, then they would make Shenmue 3 which would appease fans far more then another Shining Force Neo or Shining Wind.[/QUOTE]
The fucking Japanese are buying them. The latest one was number one last week for its release:
http://kotaku.com/gaming/final-fantasy/simple-2000-the-japanese-software-chart-263107.php

Neo and Exa are decent games, it's just gaming dorks get their panties in a bunch because they have the name Shining Force attached to them.

I guarantee that if Sega never put the Shining Force name on them, there wouldn't be this stigmata against them. I've played through a little of Exa, it's a decent dungeon crawler / hack n slash in the vein of stuff like Diablo.

bread's done
Back