Shining Force Neo

Megamibeast

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
Anyone played this game yet? I heard sega is hoping that it will bring life back to the shining force series. I don't see why that can't just make a a true strategy Shining Force game.

[quote name='Kastides']Its nothing like any of the old classic SFs... Basically it sucks.[/QUOTE]

Care to explain why? And have you played it yet?

[quote name='Megamibeast'] I don't see why that can't just make a a true strategy Shining Force game.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Why can't Sega just pull their head out of their back end, and realize that they should bring over Shining Force 3 in its entirity? It's one of the reasons I decided not to buy Neo. The other was because it's an action RPG, and I just couldn't see the Shining Force formula working with that.

you guys sound like a bunch of 60 year old hags, no offense. Sometimes things are best left in their original form, to be enjoyed that way forever. Untill you play shining force neo, and hate it because your biased against it already, and gave me good reason not too try it myself, then dont come here saying it sucks.

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']you guys sound like a bunch of 60 year old hags, no offense. Sometimes things are best left in their original form, to be enjoyed that way forever. Untill you play shining force neo, and hate it because your biased against it already, and gave me good reason not too try it myself, then dont come here saying it sucks.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't saying it sucked. I was stating I didn't think I'd enjoy it based on how it was an action rpg instead of a strategy rpg, as well as how I am still a bit bitter at Sega for their poor treatment of the series since the death of the Saturn. All the while they decide to port the Sonic series to death with all of those various Sonic collections.

Neo may be a good game, but I have no plans to play it anytime soon. If it hits a bargin bin price, and I have some cash to burn, I may give it a try. Until then there are other games that interest me more. My humble 2 cents.

[quote name='Drizzt']I wasn't saying it sucked. I was stating I didn't think I'd enjoy it based on how it was an action rpg instead of a strategy rpg, as well as how I am still a bit bitter at Sega for their poor treatment of the series since the death of the Saturn. All the while they decide to port the Sonic series to death with all of those various Sonic collections.

Neo may be a good game, but I have no plans to play it anytime soon. If it hits a bargin bin price, and I have some cash to burn, I may give it a try. Until then there are other games that interest me more. My humble 2 cents.[/QUOTE]

Well, as much as i know you and i might think sega is treating its better series poorly (panzer dragoon, virtua cop, even clockwork knight and bug had great potential) i dont think it was more then a choice by desperation to port the sonic games. You and i know they are the big sellers for sega.

Sega tried really hard with some of other great games they have, Shenmue II, Panzer dragoon orta, and the excellent overseen outrun 2 all sold way below average.

Selling sonic games are their only big hits, and considering they dont have much else to go to, then by desperation they must.

[quote name='polaricecaves']I just found a great condition copy of shining force 2 (genesis) at Salvation Army
w/ case and instructions[/QUOTE]

Not bad, not bad, i have been looking for the first two shining force games on genesis for the longest times....I found shining tears at a pawn shop, and dreamcasat sega collection that has one on it. But never have seen the original genesis carts.

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']Well, as much as i know you and i might think sega is treating its better series poorly (panzer dragoon, virtua cop, even clockwork knight and bug had great potential) i dont think it was more then a choice by desperation to port the sonic games. You and i know they are the big sellers for sega.

Sega tried really hard with some of other great games they have, Shenmue II, Panzer dragoon orta, and the excellent overseen outrun 2 all sold way below average.

Selling sonic games are their only big hits, and considering they dont have much else to go to, then by desperation they must.[/QUOTE]

I'd shell out lots of money for a sequel to NiGHTS.

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']you guys sound like a bunch of 60 year old hags, no offense. Sometimes things are best left in their original form, to be enjoyed that way forever. Untill you play shining force neo, and hate it because your biased against it already, and gave me good reason not too try it myself, then dont come here saying it sucks.[/QUOTE]

I never said neo sucks. I never played neo thats why this thread was made.

The only review of NEO so far has been a glowing one from Milkman over at 1Up.com. He basically says it's got the action/hack and slash formula down pat, and also has some very nice graphics and animated cutscenes. I'm optimistic, I have always loved the Shining Force, and it kills me that SEGA seems to think console strategy RPG's can't be successful (See: Disgaea), but I can always go for a 35 hour action/RPG, Gauntlet Style ride.

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']Well, as much as i know you and i might think sega is treating its better series poorly (panzer dragoon, virtua cop, even clockwork knight and bug had great potential) i dont think it was more then a choice by desperation to port the sonic games. You and i know they are the big sellers for sega.

Selling sonic games are their only big hits, and considering they dont have much else to go to, then by desperation they must.[/QUOTE]

Heh well personally I think that Sega isn't in tune with what fans they have left are actually interested in, but that's probably best left to another topic. Even then I think we'd just agree to disagree on it all. :)

remember camlot made most of the shinging force games. Anyway it looks like this is similar to Shing tears, which isnt that good at all.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']The only review of NEO so far has been a glowing one from Milkman over at 1Up.com. He basically says it's got the action/hack and slash formula down pat, and also has some very nice graphics and animated cutscenes. I'm optimistic, I have always loved the Shining Force, and it kills me that SEGA seems to think console strategy RPG's can't be successful (See: Disgaea), but I can always go for a 35 hour action/RPG, Gauntlet Style ride.[/QUOTE]

His review is odd though since most of the Japanese mags gave the game around a 7, if memory serves correctly.

I'm waiting on some more reviews.

[quote name='62t']remember camlot made most of the shinging force games. [/QUOTE]

Ah right! I always seem to forget that and connect the Shining series with Sega instead. Sad that my memory can't seem to keep that straight. Did Sega and Camlot get into bad relations that we haven't really seen that many Shining Force games since the Saturn? I don't think I ever followed them that well.

[quote name='Drizzt']Ah right! I always seem to forget that and connect the Shining series with Sega instead. Sad that my memory can't seem to keep that straight. Did Sega and Camlot get into bad relations that we haven't really seen that many Shining Force games since the Saturn? I don't think I ever followed them that well.[/QUOTE]
Well camelot made the early shining force but wasnt credit until the third game
they did get into a bad relationship with seag. If you got the bonus disc for shining force 3, there is a .txt file from the devloper on their problems with sega. One of them is that they felt sega didnt promote SF3 and move on to the Dreamcast.

Shining Force and Phantasy Star were the first RPGs I played on Genesis.
When I heard that Phantasy Star was being remade on Dreamcast I almost wet myself. Then it turned out to be a short, action rpg with no real story.

Shining Force being remade into a action rpg kinda takes away all the shinging force feel with the zoom in fights and vast cast of characters. Sega remade the first SF for GBA, they should stay on that track and remake it for ps2 or ps3.

[quote name='Megamibeast']IGn give it a 8.2[/QUOTE]

No, they didn't. IGN hasn't even reviewed it yet.

I just bought it today, and it's pretty decent. The voice acting is mediocre at the very best, fighting, as of right now, is very basic, but the animated cutscenes are beautiful, the soundtrack is strong, and the graphics are pretty clean, with very minimal slowdown if you're fighting about 80 different enemies at once (yes, this happens).

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']No, they didn't. IGN hasn't even reviewed it yet.

I just bought it today, and it's pretty decent. The voice acting is mediocre at the very best, fighting, as of right now, is very basic, but the animated cutscenes are beautiful, the soundtrack is strong, and the graphics are pretty clean, with very minimal slowdown if you're fighting about 80 different enemies at once (yes, this happens).[/QUOTE]

OOPs was looking at the press total instead.

Shining series has always been kinda bland too me...

I still have to pick up my copy @ GR!

Still Shining Force III for the saturn was the best game in the series to date...

I have to agree with Spoon, Shining Force III for saturn was the best I just wish I was told that when I bought it in America I was only buying HALF A GAME!!!

[quote name='burningelf']I have to agree with Spoon, Shining Force III for saturn was the best I just wish I was told that when I bought it in America I was only buying HALF A GAME!!![/QUOTE]

More like 1/3 of a game, and I know what you mean. I bought it before finding out the other parts hadn't and weren't going to be released here as well.

Dled the trailer ... the graphics is great ...
I dunnoe anything abt the game play but i heard its good .

It cant be too crappie ... rating are 8.0 and above .. and its one RPG that jap is going to make it big . Japs RPG are good ... FF series Kingdom heart series ... good

Dled the trailer ... the graphics is great ...
I dunnoe anything abt the game play but i heard its good .

It cant be too crappie ... rating are 8.0 and above .. and its one RPG that jap is going to make it big . Japs RPG are good ... FF series Kingdom heart series ... good

I'm 43 hours into the game, with my character on Level 121. Great game, certainly better than anything else in this particular genre.

SPOILER ALERT

One of the optional characters who joins your quest is a somewhat important character from the original Shining Force. PM me if you wanna know who it is.

This series like many other RPG series has either lost its identity or has gone stale.

Insert here: Arc the Lad, Suikoden (hopefully V will pick up), Ys series

On another note what the hell is Konami doing with Castlevania???

VanillaGorilla: Do you think a strategy guide is recommended for a game like this? It seems to be packed full of stuff.

[quote name='Roufuss']VanillaGorilla: Do you think a strategy guide is recommended for a game like this? It seems to be packed full of stuff.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's packed with weapons to find and Legion Caves to explore (which give you special weapons and Secret Arts). If you don't mind spending the money on a guide, then I suggest you pick one up. Nobody on GameFAQS has a detailed guide for it yet.

And to read my own review of this game, go to the link below:

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/shiningforce/reader_review.html?id=192819

bread's done
Back