Shipping games?

thelazyone22

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
I've got some complete Gamecube games that I've tried to sell locally but just won't move. Fortunately I've been able to get some offers for them online and will probably go through with them if I can't sell them by hand within the next few days. Unfortunately, this is the first time I've done this sort of thing and I don't want to mess up.

I was wondering how I should ship them. Bubble mailer? They seem kind of heavy for that since they're complete. I was thinking about using USPS since they're convenient, but I'm at a loss as to what to use. There's a UPS store not far, so, any advice? Do I just head into the PO / store and root around for a box / envelope that'll work? What about peanuts and bubble wrap?

Thanks in advance.

Buy your shipping supplies at Walmart or Target (or sometimes Staples has some deals in their ad; a while back they had bubble mailers for the super low price of 10 cents a pack). Ship the cheapest method possible through USPS, unless the buyer wants it faster. If shipping Priority Mail, which is more expensive, you can get free boxes and shipping material from USPS. When you get to the post office, use the automated machines (don't bother waiting in line). If the item is valuable/expensive, get some insurance, delivery confirmation, or other similar service from the post office. Small bubble mailers usually are a good choice for videogames. If you use a small box, use newspaper lying around the house instead of having to buy packing peanuts.

USPS Flat-Rate Priority boxes are awesome for shipping lots of games to one person. Think it costs $8.50 to anywhere in the US and no weight restriction, and the boxes are free and you can order them online.

As for single games to different people. I just use a standard bubble envelope with DC. Costs me about $3 to ship any game to anywhere in the lower 48 US States. Always use DC, especially if you are using paypal.

Recycling other packages works really good too.

[quote name='sasukekun']USPS Flat-Rate Priority boxes are awesome for shipping lots of games to one person. Think it costs $8.50 to anywhere in the US and no weight restriction, and the boxes are free and you can order them online.

As for single games to different people. I just use a standard bubble envelope with DC. Costs me about $3 to ship any game to anywhere in the lower 48 US States. Always use DC, especially if you are using paypal.

Recycling other packages works really good too.[/quote]
Right, I was going to use a Flat Rate Priority box for a couple of extra controllers. But that's pretty expensive unless you're moving a lot of games or games + big stuff.

Bubble mailers sound good. Can I get them at the PO or do I have to get them elsewhere and then use USPS Priority? I do have some bubble mailers from games I've bought; they're pretty nice, just need to know where to get them.

EDIT: Right, well does USPS even have bubble mailers? I can't find them on their website. I'd just like to make one trip to the Post Office, buy supplies, and ship it in one go instead of storing up an inventory of stuff. I'm not sure if I have enough stuff to move to justify that yet.

If you only need a few bubble mailers, check Walgreen's. Every few weeks they a coupon for mailers, like 3 for $1 with various sizes.

I don't have a car to drive all over the place. Plus, I'm in Davis = exactly zero big-box/big-name stores. I just want to make one straight shot to the PO and get everything done there. It can't be more than a few dollars more, can it be? It's just do they have them or not?

USPS sells bubble mailers, but they are expensive over $1 for each one. Go to your local dollar store, they probably have them for less. The one near me has the 6 x 9 size in a 3 pack for $1.00

[quote name='thelazyone22']I don't have a car to drive all over the place. Plus, I'm in Davis = exactly zero big-box/big-name stores. I just want to make one straight shot to the PO and get everything done there. It can't be more than a few dollars more, can it be? It's just do they have them or not?[/quote]

The USPS has bubble mailers, but you'll be paying through the nose -- they're about a buck and change each, as opposed to getting a ten pack for $3-4 at any other store.

Most complete games weigh about 7 oz; cost to ship is roughly $2.

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']The USPS has bubble mailers, but you'll be paying through the nose -- they're about a buck and change each, as opposed to getting a ten pack for $3-4 at any other store.

Most complete games weigh about 7 oz; cost to ship is roughly $2.[/quote]

Eh, I'll just pass it on to my buyer or eat it. I think I can take paying a buck + since I don't plan on doing this a lot and it's more convenient to bike to the PO and get it done then go all over town to save 50 cents.

So how many max do you think can be stuffed into one mailer? 2-3? Or should I keep it to one each?

[quote name='thelazyone22']So how many max do you think can be stuffed into one mailer? 2-3? Or should I keep it to one each?[/quote]

The neat thing about bubble mailers is they come in different sizes. :applause:

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']The neat thing about bubble mailers is they come in different sizes. :applause:[/quote]

Lol, right, that would make sense. Good to know, looks like I'll be getting familiar with shipping supplies at the Post Office for a little bit this weekend.

For games in bubble mailers, you generally want to do First Class w/ Delivery Confirmation. It's cheap (that's the $2 price point others have noted here), but it's fast. Despite what anyone might tell you, don't pay for Priority Mail unless the item is over 1lb; they're exactly the same service, except Priority Mail starts at $4.60 and First Class is only available for packages

bread's done
Back