Shipping Help

b3b0p

CAGiversary!
Feedback
50 (100%)
I like to sell my old books on Amazon instead of the local bookstores. I recently, just sold quite a few of them.

I shipped the first book today via priority because the person paid for expidited shipping. The total was $7.95! and I shipped it in the priority bag/envelope thing. I have not shipped via the post office in a while, but last time I shipped a book of this size and magnitude (3lbs, 14oz, ~700p) it was only about $4-$5 priority.

Can someone explain to me how I can ship these books affordably?

I also shipped 5lbs 12oz worth of Nintendo Power Magazines to a fellow CAG today via media mail, $4.95. Not as bad, but I still expected it to be less.

How are you people shipping so cheaply? I can't handle 5 more books at $8 per to ship.

Did you use a regular Priority Mail envelope, or the Flat Rate one?

You have to be careful and see that the envelope says Priority Mail Flat Rate on it. That's the way to go. It's only $4.05, and it covers whatever you can fit in the envelope, regardless of weight. That's the one I always try to use.

Keep in mind postage rates just got boosted on Monday. Not as much as you're seeing, but it could be one of the factors.

In my experience I have never paid that much for shipping a book.

My trick is the flat rate envelope - $4.05 to ship.
They come in 2 materials - a stiff board and a soft-protect "sleeves". I wrap the book once in some cheapo bubble wrap, and stuff it in one of these envelopes and ship it out.

There's also a flat rate box for larger books / items (12" x 3.5" x 14") - $8.10 to ship. That's most likely what you got charged but it's great for really heavy items.

edit - Dammit Saucy you beat me to it.

Also Priority varies by distance (zone) If you shipped to someone close to you before, and this guy is across the country. That could easily be the difference. (As well as the recent rate increase as has been mentioned.)

[quote name='wubb']Also Priority varies by distance (zone) If you shipped to someone close to you before, and this guy is across the country. That could easily be the difference. (As well as the recent rate increase as has been mentioned.)[/QUOTE]

Bingo. When I used to live in CA, everything was very expensive to ship anywhere out of state. Here in Ohio, my shipping costs have been cut dramatically because everything is so much closer. Being in OK, you are still gonna get punished sending just about anywhere in the east.

Dave

[quote name='MightySlacker']Bingo. When I used to live in CA, everything was very expensive to ship anywhere out of state. Here in Ohio, my shipping costs have been cut dramatically because everything is so much closer. Being in OK, you are still gonna get punished sending just about anywhere in the east.

Dave[/QUOTE]

I shipped to LA and VA.

The LA one one was $7.95 priority in the priority bag. No way I could have fit this book in the cardboard envelope I don't think.

The magazines were in a box and went to VA. I won't bitch when shipping is under $5, but via media I expected it to be less.

I have a flat rate envelope, but hardly any of the books fit in it. I have 4 more to ship and 2 are expidited. Luckily those two fit inside the flat rate cardboard envelope. The big ones are media mail shipping and I just picked up some bubble mailers from Wally World for $0.66. We shall see how expensive it is when I go tomorrow.

It's because shipping just went up...I've had the same problem with selling my books, so most of the time I only give the person the option to ship it via Media Mail and that's it...no more fast shipping until Amazon.com adjusts their shipping rates so I don't get paid $5.49 for something that costs me $8+ to ship! That's eating into the money I'd normally be getting...

Here is my update:

I shipped 4 more books today.

All were about 3-4 lbs.
1 was priority mail. It was $5.00 even
the other 3 were in $0.66 envelopes from Wal-Mart sent Media Mail with DC# and were all in the low $3 + change range.

Only 1 book barely fit in a flat rate envelope, the $5 one.

My total today was $14.99.

Yesterday, for comparison's sake, it cost me $7.95 to ship one book priority and $4.95 to ship some magazines media mail. Total was $12.59.

I'm not too upset, I am $300+ richer in two days selling some old text books on Amazon.

bread's done
Back