Shipping to buyers without a confirmed address-

bankson

CAGiversary!
I need some advice on this transaction. A winner of one of my auction has an unconfirmed address with paypal, and is a newer ebay, with a feedback of about 6. He emailed me asking me to send the item to a different address than what is even shown as his unverified address in Paypal. What should I do to not get ripped off? Paypal isnt going to protect me, but is there something extra I can do with shipping like delivery confirmation, etc that can help me out? Should I refuse to ship to the emailed address? What would you do?

I only ship to an unconfirmed address if the item is really cheap, like under $20. I state in my terms a confirmed address is required and of course, some people don't listen to it.

I haven't worried about it myself. Haven't been burnt yet. Probably a quarter or so of people who've bought from me have had unverified addresses. Personally I'd ship it to where he wants.

I assume you put that you only ship to verified addresses in your auction?

just save the his emails, use delivery confirmation and go for it. sometimes people buy things as gifts for people. a decent portion of my buyers are unconfirmed, and i've also had a few people ask me to ship to a completely different address than what paypal provided me...so far everything's worked out ok. so far.

I use an unconfirmed address to receive eBay items. My confirmed address is my parents' house, but I'm living in an apartment in Williamsburg while I go to grad school, so I prefer to have the games shipped here so I can get them without making a special trip home. The reason that I haven't gotten this address confirmed is that Paypal requires a confirmed address to be the one where you receive your credit card bill, but my credit card bill, along with most of my mail, goes to my parents' house (I pay the bill online, and I go up there once a month or so to visit and get my mail).

Just an example to show that unconfirmed addresses aren't always shady.

I've never auctualy ran into any problems when shipping to unconfirmed addresses (i.e. someone buying something for a friend with their paypal account...)

I've never had a problem either way. I have shipped to unconfirmaed addresses and for a long time mine was unconfirmed. I don't know what the big deal is. You ship to the address you're given. Just save the emails/correspondence.

[quote name='chickenhawk']I've never had a problem either way. I have shipped to unconfirmaed addresses and for a long time mine was unconfirmed. I don't know what the big deal is. You ship to the address you're given. Just save the emails/correspondence.[/quote]

Well the concern is that PayPal's crappy policy is that they will not give you seller protection if you ship to a non-confirmed address. I'm not sure if PayPal's seller protection is really worth a damn anyway. Someone on here posted that if the buyer does a credit card charge back (vs. a PayPal charge back) they pass the charge on to you whether or not you qualify for the protection.

[quote name='Wet Ninja']I use an unconfirmed address to receive eBay items. My confirmed address is my parents' house, but I'm living in an apartment in Williamsburg while I go to grad school, so I prefer to have the games shipped here so I can get them without making a special trip home. The reason that I haven't gotten this address confirmed is that Paypal requires a confirmed address to be the one where you receive your credit card bill, but my credit card bill, along with most of my mail, goes to my parents' house (I pay the bill online, and I go up there once a month or so to visit and get my mail).

Just an example to show that unconfirmed addresses aren't always shady.[/quote]

I have the exact same situation, except I live in a dorm. I say go for it, unless it is a very expensive item then get DC and insurance. If you stated in your auction you only take verified addresses, make him pay for the DC and insurance.

bread's done
Back