Shooting Accuracy

Torn

CAG Veteran
I play a lot of arcade shooters on my Wii. Especially House of the Dead 2, 3 and Overkill. I have a rather large hi-def CRT (36" 4:3) but in a rather small living room. The only way I can get any accuracy is by putting the sensor bar at the bottom of the screen, propped up to just below the viewable area. The problem is, when you try to aim at the upper areas of the screen, you lose the sensor so the only way we can calibrate it is to point towards the top-most point that the sensor is picked up. Not great. If we put the bar at the top of the screen, we get the same issue just at the bottom instead. I was thinking of trying to make some sort of reflector bar that would bounce a pair of infrared lights off the glass in the middle of the screen. Problem is, I've never done anything like this before so I was wondering if anyone has seen anything similar. I was considering just putting the official bar on an arm pointed at an angle at the screen, but not sure the beam is strong enough.

I also have an issue with losing the cursor at the bottom corners of the screen with a top mount sensor bar.

What he means is to mount an IR beam at the center of the TV glass from behind so that the Wiimote "sees" the IR beams as coming from the middle of the TV glass from the refection points. The problem would be that your body would be in the way of beams trying to project onto the glass.

I think you'd be better off spliting your sensor bar and mounting it on wither side of your screen.

I had also considered an arm projecting from the top of the TV with the beams pointed at the middle of the screen. Out of view and out of the way of flailing limbs. Will give it a shot and see what I can come up with. Think I may need to use some IR LED clusters to get enough brightness.

When your sensor bar is below the TV, where do you have to point your Wiimote to shoot the top of your screen? Do you have to aim *above* the TV? Or do you have to point more towards the center of the TV? If it's the former, maybe you could just reduce the Wiimote's field of view by covering up the bottom portion of the IR camera.

bread's done
Back