Shopping for a new tv.

Yeah....Toshiba always seems to have respectable ratings with TV. I'm not sure about DLP, haven't researched that enough to really know a LOT about them.

I have a 55" Mitsubishi RPTV and it's GREAT. Great picture, I liked it much better than my friends 64" Pioneer RPTV. Honestly, RPTV are GREAT and a LOT cheaper, but a LOT bigger, so if space is an issue, go with some other TV. DLP seems to be the new fandangled technology....Plasma is over-rated in my opinion. My friend for a 50" Pioneer Plasma, and it was just "ok" to me...not phenomenal like he says.

[quote name='Indiana']Looks like an awesome tv... too bad the stand is $350 more...[/quote]

I'm not going to get the stand that is in the pic. I am probably going to have one custom built for it.

Thanks for all the input so far!

I work at Sams Clubbage so i would suggest for you to go to there if you have a membershoip and take a look around. They have alot of bombass TV's for a sweet price. It doesn't hurt to look, does it??

$2600!?!?!?! For a bulb TV?!?!

The other advice I would give you is to consider a CRT. If you must have "TV" type of display device consider looking at a Rear Projection TV. You can get nearly that same size tv for about 1/3rd of that tv. Also, a CRT tv will produce a better overal image. You will greatly appreciate a CRT during movies, no doubt. Try watching Underworld on a bulb. If it was me though, I would get a CRT Front Projector (I would either ceiling mount it otherwise build a custom coffee table to put it in)

Chris

[quote name='b3b0p']$2600!?!?!?! For a bulb TV?!?!

The other advice I would give you is to consider a CRT. If you must have "TV" type of display device consider looking at a Rear Projection TV. You can get nearly that same size tv for about 1/3rd of that tv. Also, a CRT tv will produce a better overal image. You will greatly appreciate a CRT during movies, no doubt. Try watching Underworld on a bulb. If it was me though, I would get a CRT Front Projector (I would either ceiling mount it otherwise build a custom coffee table to put it in)
Chris[/quote]

I did happen to look at this one while I was out and about today. Really nice tv. Decisions decisions...

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...vertical=ELEC&pid=05754614000&tab=des#tablink

If it was cheap, I would definitely consider it. Just consider if you must play lots of games, CRT is probably not best choice. You must determine your priorities. Gaming vs Movies/TV. If Movies/TV are priority CRT may not be bad choice. It will give you better image, but static images can eventually be burned in permently. Although it depends on games you like to play too. RPGs with lots of Static Images are bad for CRT. But still, you can nearly get 3 $1000 40-50" rear Projection TVs for the tv you linked to in your original post, so maybe buy 2! one for games one for movies TV :) Or do what I do. Use your CRT (i have CRT Projector) for movies and get a $100 cheapo tube at wal-mart for games (I play mostly SNES/N64 games anyway, don't look to great blown up).

Chris

[quote name='b3b0p']If it was cheap, I would definitely consider it. Just consider if you must play lots of games, CRT is probably not best choice. You must determine your priorities. Gaming vs Movies/TV. If Movies/TV are priority CRT may not be bad choice. It will give you better image, but static images can eventually be burned in permently. Although it depends on games you like to play too. RPGs with lots of Static Images are bad for CRT. But still, you can nearly get 3 $1000 40-50" rear Projection TVs for the tv you linked to in your original post, so maybe buy 2! one for games one for movies TV :) Or do what I do. Use your CRT (i have CRT Projector) for movies and get a $100 cheapo tube at wal-mart for games (I play mostly SNES/N64 games anyway, don't look to great blown up).

Chris[/quote]

I play more games than watch movies and I love rpg's so I guess the CRT is out of the question. I currently own a 32" RCA tv that I play games and watch movies on but I want something at least 42".

[quote name='TomCloud9']Thats a nice tv to watch the Steelers on.[/quote]

As long as I have a new tv before the first weekend in Feb. to see my boys in the SB. :D

Go for the Toshiba. You can't get any better than DLP for video games. DLP can not burn in. It also has a vary good contrast, and you never have to worry about the image being adjusted right. It is true that DLP uses a bulb, but the bulb lasts longer than a Plasma TV, and they are very cheap and easy to replace. It uses thousands of microscopic mirrors to reflect the light from the color wheel to the screen. It is impossible to burn in light onto a mirror. Here is a list of TV technologies and what their bad points are:

DLP: Rainbow effect, but this is not a problem anymore because newer TV's (within the last year) use a faster color wheel. Can't burn in.

LCD: Good but slow. Although it is very hard to burn in (there is a grey effect that sometimes can burn in), LCD suffers from being slow. The scan rate is too slow for videogames.

Plasma: BURN IN BURN IN BURN IN. Plus after 10,000 hours the brightness will go down by half.

CRT: Can Burn in, especially CRT projectors.

Plasma is the only technology that doesn't have an option for a projector. If you play games you will be more than happy with that Toshiba DLP.

I was looking at HDTVs in sears yesterday and I must say that the DLP tvs certainly have the best picture quality. I didn't look at any toshiba models though. The model I was looking at was a samsung 46" for $2600. I later saw it on ebay brand new for $1900 + $300 shipping + NO TAX! So ebay made the TV more than $500 cheaper...

[quote name='doubledown']I've NEVER had any burn in on my Mits RPTV. I know it's BIGGER than a DLP, but the quality is GREAT[/quote]

How far from the tv do you have to sit to make the picture really clear?

[quote name='killswitch64'][quote name='doubledown']I've NEVER had any burn in on my Mits RPTV. I know it's BIGGER than a DLP, but the quality is GREAT[/quote]

How far from the tv do you have to sit to make the picture really clear?[/quote]

I think mine is about 8-10' away...maybe a little more. The picture is REALLY clear for DVD's/Video Games/HDTV. Normal cable is always just average if it's not in Hi-Def, but that's with every TV (except a TUBE). My friend has a Pioneer Plasma and the picture is not that great for regualr cable.

People complain about the viewing angle on RPTV not being as good as DLP/LCD/Plasma, but honestly....you sit in front of the TV, so I've never had a problem.

My mits is 55" btw.....so it would be comparable to the DLP you are looking at. I would say if you have the room and want to save the money, so with RPTV....however, I know NEW technology is always more exciting and possibly "better". But that is everyones judgement.....the stores always make them look nice. But most do not watch HiDef 24-7.

bread's done
Back