Shopping for Games and Accessories in the States?

They aren't duty free. You can just spend like $50 (not sure about the specific number) and not get charged duty. So any expensive purchase you're looking at will have duty. But if you just want a controller or game and you're there you may as well go for it.

[quote name='majio']just buy from amazon.com usually you don't have to pay duty ;) that's why I do[/quote]

Amazon.com only ships Games/Accessories to the US, your best bet is an Amerfriend or a website like DeepDiscount if you are buying enough

In the scores of times I've been over the border, I've been pulled over maybe five or so times. Just be honest, have your IDs ready and have all receipts together, and NEVER attempt to smuggle.
Video games have no duty as with many home electronics (even computers). However, if you get pulled over you may have to pay BOTH PST and GST. When you consider you already paid the state tax it can be a big blow.

No. Video games and electronics are not tax exempt. Just because your local guards don't care and often wave you by doesn't mean anything. Also if you are going in to pay taxes you can get the US taxes refunded

[quote name='Corizzle']Amazon.com only ships Games/Accessories to the US, your best bet is an Amerfriend or a website like DeepDiscount if you are buying enough[/quote]

No Amazon.com ships video games to canada:yu

Additionally, some software, tools, video games, jewelry, sporting goods, shoes, consumer electronics and kitchen items can be shipped to the following countries:
  • Australia, Austria, Canada, Chile, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Taiwan, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, United Arab Emirates

[quote name='majio']No Amazon.com ships video games to canada:yu

Additionally, some software, tools, video games, jewelry, sporting goods, shoes, consumer electronics and kitchen items can be shipped to the following countries:
  • Australia, Austria, Canada, Chile, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Taiwan, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, United Arab Emirates
[/quote]

Wrong.

Warranty issues and manufacturer restrictions prevent us from shipping certain products to all geographical locations. You'll be notified while placing your order if we're unable to ship specific items to the address you've selected.

It won't allow you to check out video games and accessories. 3rd party products may go through though.

[quote name='majio']No Amazon.com ships video games to canada:yu

[/QUOTE]

Amazon.com doesn't ship to Canada, kid. Believe me, I've tried many times shipping games and accessories from the US, but says not compatible. Luckily I have a gf who lives in the States, so I use her address on amazon.com. Amazon is very restrictive on what you can buy from there many different country servers, like buying a game from Amazon UK, won't ship to Canada or the US.

I just looked, technically we both are right actually. Some games have started shipping to outside the US, however some are still US only.

If coming from B.C. down I-5, may I suggest http://resetgames.com/
in Bellingham, WA. They are right near the Sunset square gamestop, and seem to undercut them on used prices. As well, they have a 5 off coupon just for signing up on their mailing list on the website. They also had 1 or 2 rare games.

I can confirm that ordering games from amazon.com WILL NOT WORK when shipping to Canada, but I'd like to know which games are exempt from this. Some of the games I really want are 20$ on .com and 40$ on .ca (if there at all)

I successfully added Rainbow Six Vegas 2 and I got to the checkout screen (not going to actually order). Shipping seems outrageous though. $23.98 for just that game.

Didn't give any sort of error though. The games that are shippable will have under Product Details: "Shipping: This item is also available for shipping to select countries outside the U.S."

[quote name='ShocWave']I heard that video games are duty free to bring back to Canada.
Anyone know if that go for Consoles, Controllers, batteries and such?

Things seem to be cheaper over there.[/quote]
If you are in the states for less then 24hours it is $50 duty free. Over 24 hours is $100 duty free, 2 days is $300 and i think it caps out at $500 after that

The Internet is your friend :)

Officially speaking, your duty-free limits are:

Less than 24 hours: nothing
At least 24 hours: $50
At least 48 hours: $400
At least 7 days: $750

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/media/facts-faits/060-eng.html

That said, I know people who have declared over the limit by a bit (I think less than $100), gone to the counter at the airport where they'd have to pay, and been told to just move along... mind you they'd been gone around 5 days or so.

bread's done
Back