Shopping in NYC Chinatown?

salmonaxxx

CAGiversary!
I'm going to the city to visit Chinatown after a long absence, can anyone suggest what I should check out, game-wise? I assume J&L and the Elizabeth Mall are still around. I particularly want to pick up some classic GBA games, or barring that, a GBA flash cart.

They are still around but I never found their prices to be that great. I haven't gone there since the N64 days to buy games tax free.

[quote name='salmonaxxx']I'm going to the city to visit Chinatown after a long absence, can anyone suggest what I should check out, game-wise? I assume J&L and the Elizabeth Mall are still around. I particularly want to pick up some classic GBA games, or barring that, a GBA flash cart.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, there really isn't much besides what you've already metioned. The only other spot what be the small mall under the bridge. Manhattan Bridge? Chinatown, like most places in NYC, has fallen off a bit, as far as game stores are concerned. If you want some real vintage stuff, head to 6th street, and check out VideogamesNewYork. It's right next to Cooper Union. The guy who owns the shop (after he bought it from the guys who used to own Multimedia 1.0, and moved it two blocks down) has a ton of vintage stuff. Also, unlike Multimedia, he actually gets new 'vintage' stuff on a regular basis.

There used to be a couple of gamestores on 32nd between 6th and 7th, but I know they closed at least one of those down before I left Manhattan. They had new games at good prices, but the one was cash only. Are they still there?

Also, while you are in the area, Koreatown (if that's what it's "officially" called) is just past Broadway and has some good Korean DVD places. That is, if you don't mind paying Korean DVD prices (around $25ish). Stop at Hangawi, one of my favorite restaurants in the city, for some upscale vegetarian cuisine.

EDIT: I started a little thread for DVDTalk.com a few years ago, and updated it last year. St. Alps insn't there anymore, neither is Veggie Paradise; but the DVD and game shop info is still current. Here is the link:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=272416

Jeremy

Wait wait

Game shops on 32nd between the mall and Penn?

Someone point the way for me please :D

All I've seen are discount stores and that horrible fake Irish bar...

[quote name='mcpeepants']Wait wait

Game shops on 32nd between the mall and Penn?

Someone point the way for me please :D

All I've seen are discount stores and that horrible fake Irish bar...[/quote]

game express is dead...so all the gaming you'll see there is those electronics stores

[quote name='youruglyclone']game express is dead...so all the gaming you'll see there is those electronics stores[/QUOTE]

There's more to it than that. The Building that housed Game Express, has been torn down, if I remember correctly. With that said, Game Express isn't "dead" per se, since there's still other locations, including one in the Fordham section of The Bronx.

the chinatown stores you mentioned aren't as great as they used to be. J and L's prices are rarely the lowest anymore, and sometimes, even higher than retail for some reason. The one store thats left at Elizabeth center isn't any better.

[quote name='CorruptionDee'] If you want some real vintage stuff, head to 6th street, and check out VideogamesNewYork. It's right next to Cooper Union. The guy who owns the shop (after he bought it from the guys who used to own Multimedia 1.0, and moved it two blocks down) has a ton of vintage stuff. Also, unlike Multimedia, he actually gets new 'vintage' stuff on a regular basis.[/quote]

While I admit that Videogamesnewyork is the best place I know of for vintage stuff, and I go out of my way support them any day of the week before I would EB (If, in unCAGlike form, I have to buy a game the day it comes out), a lot of times they jack up the prices a little too high for my tastes.

I remember asking them how much a Greatest Hits copy of some of the PS1 Square Games were, and them saying that they were 40 bucks each. I know they don't print them any more, but the idea that I would pay 40 dollars for a game that was widely printed and twenty when it came out is just rediculous.

That said, if you are looking for a Japanese copy of I.Q., a functioning R.O.B., Twisted! for the 3DO or import titles that you can't wait for (wassup Ouendan!), those dudes are a safe bet. And if you can buy from them instead of buying from EB, do that too. They are nice guys, and they have to make rent somehow.

Also, I think I remember them skipping tax when I paid in cash.

[quote name='richieyoo']Yea that game store on 32nd is long gone. I almost forgot there ever was one there.[/quote]

that was games express, one of the best in the city. i tried to go there after a long time (since the dreamcast days) only to find that they were doing contruction of the building and the store was gone for good. they do have other stores in fordham road in the bronx and i asked what happened to that store they said they moved it to fort lee, nj.

[quote name='Amishexmachina']While I admit that Videogamesnewyork is the best place I know of for vintage stuff, and I go out of my way support them any day of the week before I would EB (If, in unCAGlike form, I have to buy a game the day it comes out), a lot of times they jack up the prices a little too high for my tastes.

I remember asking them how much a Greatest Hits copy of some of the PS1 Square Games were, and them saying that they were 40 bucks each. I know they don't print them any more, but the idea that I would pay 40 dollars for a game that was widely printed and twenty when it came out is just rediculous.

That said, if you are looking for a Japanese copy of I.Q., a functioning R.O.B., Twisted! for the 3DO or import titles that you can't wait for (wassup Ouendan!), those dudes are a safe bet. And if you can buy from them instead of buying from EB, do that too. They are nice guys, and they have to make rent somehow.

Also, I think I remember them skipping tax when I paid in cash.[/quote]

my brother runs the store. they dont make alot of profits out of newer games (upto 2% profit for newer games). thats why they are crazy about selling used games. most specially if its PS1 title. they base their prices online thru some website (i cant remember which) and also thru ebay. if a game is out of print, they usually put the prices up higher. if i had a store i would probably do the same.rare ps1 and ps2 rpgs? thats your best place for it. if you cant find the title you are looking for, you can put your name on a list and they will call you if that title ever comes up in stock.

[quote name='toneroni']you guys should head to flushing sometime. Gamefan has the best prices for new games[/QUOTE]

What is it located near? What's the address?

[quote name='CorruptionDee']There's more to it than that. The Building that housed Game Express, has been torn down, if I remember correctly. With that said, Game Express isn't "dead" per se, since there's still other locations, including one in the Fordham section of The Bronx.[/QUOTE]Any other Game Express stores in Manhattan? I sorely miss the one on 32nd Street, and live all the way out in the Jersey suburbs. The Herald Square and Manhattan Mall GameStops don't really cut it for me :p

BTW, to the OP, Initial D is still at Elizabeth Center, and still worth checking out. I managed to get Phoenix Wright there (for a reasonable $30) around the height of its rarity.

Does anyone remember the store on (if I remember correctly) 13th and 6th in Manhattan? I used to go there in the early days of the Playstation, but it is long gone now.

bread's done
Back