Shopping online...newbie question.

hobocorpses

CAGiversary!
I was wondering if most of you out there use credit cards for online purchases. I've recently gotten rid of my credit card and now have a check or debit card (not sure which) w/ a VISA logo. I've been told by a couple of sources that using one of these cards isn't as secure as using a "true" credit card...something about how it's harder to insure illegal charges since it's comin' right out of your account. If anyone has any advice on this it would be greatly appreciated as I don't really want to get another credit card right now.

You could always talk to your bank and see what they say about the security of the card. I've used my debit card at places like Amazon and I've had no problems at all.

You could also probably pick up one of those Visa/AmEx gift cards that work anywhere Visa or AmEx is accepted. I used a Visa giftcard on Amazon and it worked just fine. If someone steals THAT somehow then they don't have access to any of your actual money. If you know how much it will cost you can put the exact amount on the card (there is a fee of course, but if you really want security...) and there you go.

I think credit card companies have fraud protection for their users, so you can file complaints to them. But I don't think the same applies for check cards.

When I was sending my PS2 back to Sony, I asked for insurance, and the guy asked me if I was using a credit card. I told him no, I'm using my check card. And he said that if I were using a regular credit card that the credit card company would have protection for me without having to buy the USPS insurance.

But I've used my check card a number of times for online purchases without any problems. I'm sure if you see something fishy with a transaction, you can take it up with the company you bought your stuff from.

[quote name='hobocorpses']Yeah, I guess it's pretty safe if I'm ordering from respectable sites.[/QUOTE]
should be. I use my debit card when I order stuff from online.

bread's done
Back