Should Blu-ray be Supported on Xbox?

But 360 doesn't use standard DVD, don't they use HD-DVD? Correct me if I'm wrong but 15 gigs should be enough until the next xbox.

EDIT: Oh wait, I'm an idiot. That's a peripheral, pardon the ignorance.

In that case, I don't want my 360 to turn in to many of the older game systems, a bunch of attachments on top of attachments(Cough cough 32x)

32x.jpg

well according to MS digital download is the future so get ready for the jump from 60 gigs to 1TB in anticipation of DLing blu ray sized content. either that or bill gates kissing the feet of sony to get BR tech.

[quote name='tankass']well according to MS digital download is the future so get ready for the jump from 60 gigs to 1TB in anticipation of DLing blu ray sized content. either that or bill gates kissing the feet of sony to get BR tech.[/QUOTE]

You do know that the VC-1 codec was developed by Microsoft and they recieve royalties for it, right? Also, Microsoft doesnt have to ask sony's permission to use blu ray in their next console.

Just because HD-DVD failed does not say that MS might not still use it for games only next gen. However chances are really low that they will. I don't see them going bluray next gen what I'm thinking is they will make their own disc like Sega tried to do with the GD-Rom, keep using what they are using or it is a long shot but we could see HD discs come back for games only. Hell if that one happens then they might as well just make it so it can play HD-DVDs also and if that happens with the low cost of HD-DVDs now and a new player out HD might make a come back. However that is all a long shot.

EDIT:

[quote name='Malik112099']You do know that the VC-1 codec was developed by Microsoft and they recieve royalties for it, right? Also, Microsoft doesnt have to ask sony's permission to use blu ray in their next console.[/QUOTE]

Last I read the thing that was stopping MS from bringing BD over to the 360 was the fact that they did not want to put Sony on the add on player. I know it was on HDD.com but it was almost a year ago that it was posted on there.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/ca6017de-eba6-11dc-9493-0000779fd2ac.html?nclick_check=1

That link is not what I was looking for but the only one I could find.

At this point, once Sony announces the price drop (rumored to be $299), i'll be buying a PS3, so screw the Blu-ray player add-on.

I didn't think they were going to do an add-on for the blu-ray so I just picked up a standalone blu-ray player a few months ago for $200.

Why are people talking about add on when OP is talking about the next xbox system?

HD DVD as data storage would make sense as well since it would cost them next to nothing and they have 30GB of space.

[quote name='sendme']

Last I read the thing that was stopping MS from bringing BD over to the 360 was the fact that they did not want to put Sony on the add on player. I know it was on HDD.com but it was almost a year ago that it was posted on there.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/ca6017de-eba6-11dc-9493-0000779fd2ac.html?nclick_check=1

That link is not what I was looking for but the only one I could find.[/QUOTE]

Why would MS have to put Sony on the add on? That doesnt even make sense. I have never seen a non-sony branded br player with sony's name on it.

[quote name='Malik112099']Why would MS have to put Sony on the add on? That doesnt even make sense. I have never seen a non-sony branded br player with sony's name on it.[/QUOTE]

I don't remember why they said it. At the time I think it was just people had thought they might have to due to it bing sony that made bluray.

Everyone will be streaming video in the next few years, not downloading it or buying on disc. I say the question is moot. Hell, in five years we probably won't even be buying games on disc either, much less playing movies from disc.

Paid, instant delivery - that's the new model. It's cheaper, and you can't take your disc with you and sell it to anyone else.

Doesn't seem much point, Blu-Ray players are getting cheaper so an add-on seems a bit pointless.

Plus is Blu-Ray really that big of a deal yet? What I mean by that is how many discs are sold in comparison to DVD, has it been taken up by the mass market?

bread's done
Back