Should customer care/warranties cover customer inadequacies?

smalien1

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
Do you think customer service should cover customers not knowing how to use shit, or just the products breaking, legitimite hardware issues? This stems from two problems i've been having recently:

A. My internet connection has been going on and off, only at night, which is odd, so I call customer service and they offer three options, Connection problems, E-mail, and installation help. There is no button entering thing, you need to say what you want, and it doesn't register when I say connection problems!! My question, why do they offer the other two? Is it there responsibility to show people how to use fucking e-mail? And installation involves 3 cords being plugged in, unless you use a router!
Note: No, I was not mumbling, I had someone else try to say "Connection Problems" and they couldn't get it either, the system was faulty"

B. I bring my computer, which has a fried power supply that I diagnosed from the troubleshooting on the internet (i don't have much tech. knowledge, i figured it out for this one case!) into the Apple store, through the hoards of idiots fucking around with photobooth, then, although I have an appointment, must wait in line while the 'genius' (apple tech supports work at the genius bar) helps a woman who needs help be cause she has too many icons on her desktop and a guy whose iPod wasn't working becasue the hold switch was on (this problem was solved quickly, but it didn't help me, because there is a seperate iPod guy)
Note: You cannot order parts to fix it yourself! Also, you must talk to the guy at the bar, you can't just drop off, they won't trust you saying "blank is broken"
Note 2: This may be due to my inadequacy, I had breifly used it without a surge protector at a relatives house, but this was weeks before the problem arose.

So, my question is, should these people be covered under warranty? Or should the warranty and customer service cater only to legitimite hardware issues which can ONLY be fixed by those techs?

Now that I think of it, I don't know why I posted this in the vs. section, it's not exactly an important issue.

You can't expect the customers to become experts in the usage of their products. If you don't provide aid to them under your tech support, you will alienate that customer base because they won't feel serviced. Pandering to the experts at the expense of the common folk is a shit-ass way to do business, no question.

I don't even know what a hold switch is, but I don't have an Ipod.

[quote name='RollingSkull']You can't expect the customers to become experts in the usage of their products. If you don't provide aid to them under your tech support, you will alienate that customer base because they won't feel serviced. Pandering to the experts at the expense of the common folk is a shit-ass way to do business, no question.

I don't even know what a hold switch is, but I don't have an Ipod.[/quote]

I'm not an expert. I'm literate, I can read manuals, the text on buttons, and I have common sense (i can figure out where cords go based on shape and color for example). Most people can do these things. It doesn't take an expert to use e-mail.
It doesn't take an expert to not have your desktop covered with icons.
When I opened up the iMac to do the troubleshooting tips, i had no idea what half the shit in there did, but i saw the little LEDs you need to use for self-diagnosis.
All I did was a google search, used a screwdriver, and LOOKED AT TINY LIGHTS. Does that take an expert?

If you work any time in the services industry, if you're smart you'll soon learn that for simple requests it takes less time/money and makes more business sense to make the customer happy. IE if a repeat customer's kid drops his ice cream cone on the floor (end user error), you give the guy a replacement because otherwise you'll spend valuable time arguing with him and create a negative store image.

This is a variant on the "customer is always right" mantra

That having been said, RTFM (or buy Apple ;) )

bread's done
Back