Should I buy a Samsung DLP?

lolwut?

CAGiversary!
Feedback
170 (100%)
Here's the deal. I saw HUGE, cheap Samsung DLP on CL (61" for $300), but it said it needed the colorwheel to be replaced. The ad stated the bulb was replaced earlier in 2008 and now needs a new colorwheel (and the seller would provide a service company). I've also done a little reading on the internets and saw that if need be, I could replace the colorwheel myself.

The seller quoted about $215 for parts and labor, and I'm thinking $500 for a 61" ain't bad, but what do you guys think. I realize the bulbs have to be replaced every once in awhile, and I'm cool with that. Thoughts?

Supposedly, DLPs aren't so good for gaming because they suffer from lag issues. Also keep in mind that viewing angles can be bad sometimes on projection TVs.

A $250 bulb every couple of years ain't bad. I think if I had the colorwheel replaced, I could definitely make my money back down the line at least.

I'm not really worried about viewing angles, I'd be in front of it. I'll look into ghosting though.

Any other things I should be on the lookout for?

Every once in a while =every 2-3 years if you use it regularly. I'm the type to buy a TV and use it for 10 years+ so that would be quite a bit more than what I'm willing to spend.

I loved my samsung DLP,but upgraded to a 46 sony lcd. is it 720p or 1080p? they are good tv's but the bulbs do go out and run a few hundred to replace.

[quote name='lolwut?']I'll look into ghosting though.[/quote]

If that was a reply to me, that's not what I meant by lag - there is supposed to be a delay between what you do on your controller and what appears on screen. You can find more information here. From that page:

Note that all Samsung DLPs pass the signal through its internal DCDi scaler which will result in lag even if you game at the TV's native resolution (Source: http://gear.ign.com/articles/744/744064p2.html)

Do not get it. Chances are you will have to replace the bulb more then once a year and at 250+ a pop it makes the tv cost a lot more in the long run. I had an LCD but from the sounds of things it is almost the same as the DLP as far as some of the parts go. I had to replace the bulb about every 6 months and they can go out just like a normal light bulb because well thats for the most part what they are. I had my light engine go out and that sounds about like what the colorwheel is. My screen also ended up with yellow on it and the place I bought it from tried to say it was because of smoke. No one that has been here smokes and if they do they did not smoke inside.

Anyway you will have to replace the bulb chances are more then a year and unless you know the person chances are that is why they are getting rid of it. I suggest getting a thin tv.

$250 light bulbs? I haven't had to replace mine yet, but from what I've heard, that's just bs. I've heard they run closer to $100. Either way, I'd rather be able to replace a light bulb than have to replace an entire tv. I have a 50" Samsung DLP and so does my mother. I use mine for gaming (obviously) and everything else and never have any problems with lag. It has a game mode that I use that supposedly helps out, but I wouldn't know if it's helping or not because I've never had a problem. I don't know if I'd recommend buying a used one, but that's because I rarely buy anything used.

I looked up the bulbs, they are only $150. The only thing that worries me is I read that a set has 3 different ones, and when you replace one, you should replace the other 2 as well. It's a HLN617w1x/xaa

And I read that lag article, it's last update was in May 2007 (and most of it was written in 2006). I'm not too worried about playing Street Fighter 3rd Strike and getting 1/30th of a second of lag. :bouncy:

[quote name='lolwut?']I looked up the bulbs, they are only $150. The only thing that worries me is I read that a set has 3 different ones, and when you replace one, you should replace the other 2 as well. It's a HLN617w1x/xaa

And I read that lag article, it's last update was in May 2007 (and most of it was written in 2006). I'm not too worried about playing Street Fighter 3rd Strike and getting 1/30th of a second of lag. :bouncy:[/quote]

Yeah, see...closer to $100 than $250. DLP haters love saying the light bulbs cost one million dollars.

As for multiple light bulbs? Mine only has 1, I've never heard of one needing 3. Then again, I'm not pretending that I know more than the average person on this matter either.

Hmm, I can't seem to find where I read that. Well I think if it only has one lamp, I'll go with it. $150 every few years ain't bad, it's just like payin' bills.

I have a newer samsung DLP (61in, 1080P, LED tech) and I love it. However, i'd recommend that you avoid any older samsung DLPs. When I was researching the TV i bought, i read a lot of horror stories about samsung's older models, particularly with halo-ing and screens that just started to warp on 1 side. Additionally, the color wheel in the older model is loud.

I guess if you were able to see the picture ahead of time- it might not be a huge issue, but since it will be a surprise, you never know.

bread's done
Back