Should i buy all the PSX Final Fantasies?

FF x-2 was pretty bad. Just play X twice and you'll come out feeling a lot better. Final Fantasy 6, 1, and 2 are also great if you can tolerate oldschool graphics. For the record 6 plays a lot better on the SNES the stupid loadtime between fights on the CD versions are exagerated to say the least. I dont remember if the same thing goes for FFI & FF2.

[quote name='Furashu']but is there any story im missing out on if i dont play x-2?[/QUOTE]
I couldn't really tell ya I made it about 2/3rds of the way thru and there wasn't anything worthwile to it. They screwed the game up with live profession switching and took every male character out of the game without replacing them with worthwhile female conterparts. They also took all the good minigames out and replaced them with crap. I might try it again oneday but I think I'd rather run X for a 3rd time. Final fantasy 6 (us III) should be way higher on the playlist then x-2.

Seeing how you've played FF III, I'll assume you have a DS?

In that case you could always get the GBA versions of FF 1,2, and 4-6.
I haven't played all of them, but I believe that have additional content that wasn't in the PS1 versions.

Then again, Final Fantasy Chronicles comes with Chrono Trigger.......*drool*

I found the gameplay in X-2 to be pretty interesting. It combined the jobs from other FFs, made them more specialized (i.e. more difficult to create a jack-of-all-trades character, thus defeating the purpose of jobs), and then sped it all up to a frantic pace. It's pretty fun once you get the hang of it. But yeah, the story was awful and basically an overblown fanfiction a la Advent Children. X-2 should be at the bottom of your list.

There's a DS remake of 4 coming out, but I strongly encourage you to play the GBA version because it's pretty much its original, classic form. 4 is probably my favorite of the series, with 6 close behind. Make those your top priorities.

[quote name='Gameboy415']Seeing how you've played FF III, I'll assume you have a DS?

In that case you could always get the GBA versions of FF 1,2, and 4-6.
I haven't played all of them, but I believe that have additional content that wasn't in the PS1 versions.

Then again, Final Fantasy Chronicles comes with Chrono Trigger.......*drool*[/quote]

well i sold my ds a few months ago... i have a PSP and im going to borrow FF1 and 2 from a friend.

FFX-2 isn't super bad but it's not that good gameplay-wise. it's worth playing for the story because it's a direct sequel and you actually see the world after FFX ended and how it changed. i recommend it and it's cheap now.

and yes, go play all the PSX FF games. they are true classics.

I would say that FFVI is one of the best out there. I'm a fan of the old-school graphics, though, so that may have swayed me. It's unfortunate to hear about the horrendous load times with VI from the PS1; I have the game and haven't played it (bought at a garage sale for $1.50).

I am half tempted to pick up VI for the GB-Micro; I played through some of V and really can't get into it. For some reason that game feels really removed from the previous FF formulas.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']I would say that FFVI is one of the best out there. I'm a fan of the old-school graphics, though, so that may have swayed me. It's unfortunate to hear about the horrendous load times with VI from the PS1; I have the game and haven't played it (bought at a garage sale for $1.50).

I am half tempted to pick up VI for the GB-Micro; I played through some of V and really can't get into it. For some reason that game feels really removed from the previous FF formulas.[/quote]

VI is the BEST game in the series, imo. excellent story and the ending is 20 minutes of pure bliss :D

Final Fantasy X-2 is, in my opinion, absolutely brilliant and one of the best games I have ever played. The gameplay is really tight and balanced, and if you leave your masculinity at the door and realize that the whole game is just a big silly J-Pop-fest, you might really like it.

The rest of the FF series is pretty great in general and I recommend all of them as far as classic RPGs go. I'd probably avoid the PSOne ports, though, and stick to the GBA ports and the DS game. The PSP remakes are also very good, but the source material is a little 1990 and you might not like them regardless of how detailed the new sprites are.

If you liked FF6 or 7, consider this:
Most FF fans argue that 5, the Japanese 5 is the best or second best in the series. It's a cut line I'd say 70/30. I'm part of the 70 that prefers 6, but I can really see how 5 would be a 2nd favorite.

I recommend you pick up the 1, 2, 4-6 though, just because those are the games you haven't played that had Sakaguchi, the master mind behind FF games, behind them.

If you don't like FFX or X-2, chances are that's because Sakaguchi left after VII and had mild involvement with VIII and IX which is why those still have some of the FF feel to them.

As far as X-2= The reason some people don't like it is because it's not really a FF game. It's really short, the battle system is not of an RPG element, it only has 3 main characters and it was created SOLELY because people were upset about the ending of X. It's like if I write the original Star Wars stories, they're already done, that's the story for them, and you and a bunch of SW fans write me letters saying you hated how Vader died, I need to bring him back, you're sad the ending wasn't right. Then I go and make a Star Wars episode 7 that's 30 minutes long where Luke Skywalker and Han Solo and NO ONE else from the Star Wars movies go to some secret planet in space and bring Vader back to life. That's what FFX-2 is and that's why most people don't call it a real FF game.

The remakes on PSX are awesome, I enjoyed them.

bread's done
Back