Should i buy component cables for my wii ....... ?

Limegreen

CAGiversary!
I have a 60" HDTV and when specially browsing the internet i get a really blurry image the text is unreadable unless i zoom in, by how much would you guys say component cables will fix this ?

I play on a 60" TV as well, and honestly didnt think getting the componenet cables and upgraded to 480p would make a difference, but it did. I bought some 3rd party cables which were the cheapest they had, and would highly recomend getting some sort of component cables if your TV is capable of progressive scan.

Totally get them. I have the $20 ones from Intec. They works great. I just wish the Wii would have an option for using an optical cable for the audio. That would make a HUGE difference with my surround sound reciever.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Totally get them. I have the $20 ones from Intec. They works great. I just wish the Wii would have an option for using an optical cable for the audio. That would make a HUGE difference with my surround sound reciever.[/quote]How so on the audio? Not challenging you so much as I'm ignorant. It's not like the Wii outputs a multichannel 5/6/7.1 signal and would need digital out for the audio. Its max is ProLogic II, which is just handled by 2 RCA cords and a receiver capable of mixing it up properly.

But yes, get the component cables for sure. SD, ED, HD TV, regardless of what you've got, if it has component inputs, get the component cables.

[quote name='daroga']But yes, get the component cables for sure. SD, ED, HD TV, regardless of what you've got, if it has component inputs, get the component cables.[/QUOTE]

Technical question, not a bash.

My Wii is connected to a 27" Sony Wega. It's a flat screen CRT, but not HD. I have component inputs in the back of the TV...would moving to component make a difference? Some games have fuzzy text, and I was wondering if it's just my composite connection. Currently I'm running through an RCA splitter, but IIRC the component connection on the back of my set isn't being used for anything currently so I could go directly into the back of the TV.

[quote name='eshbums']Technical question, not a bash.

My Wii is connected to a 27" Sony Wega. It's a flat screen CRT, but not HD. I have component inputs in the back of the TV...would moving to component make a difference? Some games have fuzzy text, and I was wondering if it's just my composite connection. Currently I'm running through an RCA splitter, but IIRC the component connection on the back of my set isn't being used for anything currently so I could go directly into the back of the TV.[/quote]If nothing else, you'll get better colors from a component connection. If you have the same Wega my friend got back in, oh, 2001-2, or newer then it's probably an ED TV, and can actually use progressive scan as well.

one thing you will notice is that games like wii sports aren't anti-aliased very well with the charcters so you'll see some jaggies but overall they make a huge difference. If you look at the water in wii sports golf it looks amazing and everything does become sharper overall. I'm playing ssx blur lately and the game looks gorgeous with the component cables. I'd grab them.

[quote name='Limegreen']I have a 60" HDTV and when specially browsing the internet i get a really blurry image the text is unreadable unless i zoom in, by how much would you guys say component cables will fix this ?[/QUOTE]

even with compenent browsing using wii will not give you a much clearer picture without zoom. I tried it , it is because wii only support 480p.

Be careful with really cheap cables, folks. These aren't digital connections like HDMI cables, so cable quality does matter. I'd get yourself a set of cheaper cables and a set of Nintendo's cables. If there's no discernable difference, then great (I've not compared anything myself), return the Nintendo ones. But if there is and you deem it worth paying for, you won't shortchange yourself. I've heard random accounts of some 3rd party cables doing nasty things to the Virtual Console games. As to that claims legitamcy, I can't be sure.

That being said, don't get suckered into "premium" cables, either. Nintendo's are going to be the best you can get for the price and anything more expensive will literally be throwing the money away.

In short, don't fall for the "SOLID GOLD $100!!!" cables, but likewise, don't wast $10 on getting tinfoil component cables either.

[quote name='daroga']If nothing else, you'll get better colors from a component connection. If you have the same Wega my friend got back in, oh, 2001-2, or newer then it's probably an ED TV, and can actually use progressive scan as well.[/QUOTE]

I picked up some component cables today, and tried flipping the Wii settings over to 480p, but the picture was going nuts on my set (model KV27FS100). I'm downloading the manual now to see if a) it can use progressive scan and b) if there's something in the settings I need to change to make it work properly.

edit - nm, according to the manual, 480i only. :( Ah well, for $13 I got it off of my RCA switch and to a dedicated connection.

Yeah I just picked some up for $2.86 after using Google checkout. I only have my Wii hooked up to a 36" CRT and I noticed a pretty big difference in the color, my TV doesn't even support 480P but just hooking it through component made a significant difference.

bread's done
Back