Should I buy Windows 7 Home or Pro 64?

UnicornBang

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I need to buy a copy of Windows 7. I am confused if I need Home or Pro. I definitely need a 64 bit version. I am only using 8 gigs of ram. I game a lot if that makes a difference. I highly doubt it does though. Any input is appreciated.

Home is just a basic, minimal configuration allowed version. Get this version if all you do is install applications/games and surf the web.

Pro allows you to modify computer policies, enable remote desktop and other things. Most of which are geared towards server environments.
-> If your job allows BYOD (Bring your own device) and requires you join the work domain (should be required), you'll need this version (Though not many allow this to begin with).
-> If you have kids and want to take the time to learn to further lock things down, this will help. (Group Policies / Security Policies)
-> If you ever want to access you computer from somewhere outside of your house, this helps (Although there are other methods that work with Home edition, such as LogMeIn or TeamViewer, but I prefer the built-in method).

EDIT: Cleaned things up a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='aShufflinZombie']The only other advantage to pro (refer to Draekon's post) is XP mode. You can download a fully working pre configured Windows XP virtual machine.[/QUOTE]

Correct. I completely forgot about that.

[quote name='Hybrid5006']Also, u need pro if u want to upgrade to 32gb of ram. I believe home only makes use of up to 16gb[/QUOTE]

To expand on this:

Windows 7 Home Basic - 8GB RAM Max
Windows 7 Home Premium - 16GB RAM Max

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778%28v=vs.85%29.aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_7

If you don't know that you need Pro you probably don't. Normally the real deal breaker for Home is the inability to join a domain. A max of "only" 16GB isn't much of a limitation, and third party software can get you most of the other missing features.

Do you really need windows 7?

Windows 8 $15

I built a gaming computer this week i'm cheap so I just downloaded Windows 8. New interface I don't really like but it's $15 and legit. Ran the tool on my laptop, bought and saved as an ISO image then installed that on new build. 64 bit pro Windows 8, $14.99 + tax = :)

[quote name='$hady']Do you really need windows 7?

Windows 8 $15

I built a gaming computer this week i'm cheap so I just downloaded Windows 8. New interface I don't really like but it's $15 and legit. Ran the tool on my laptop, bought and saved as an ISO image then installed that on new build. 64 bit pro Windows 8, $14.99 + tax = :)[/QUOTE]

If it were a full version of 8 I would bite. But I hear terrible things about it, and I really like 7

Hmm, well the problem is I need a full retail version. I don't want an upgrade or a one time system builder licence. So pretty much looking for the cheapest route. I really like 7 but if I can get 8 cheaper I will bite.

OEM versions of Windows 7 Pro and Windows 8 Pro (FULL RETAIL) cost around $60-$70 on newegg.

I don't know where you hear bad things about Windows 8 unless you are reading all the media hype about Metro UI with using a keyboard mouse...

You should just download the free Windows 8 License good for 120 days. You can disable the Metro UI. You can get to your program folder and a lot more. File Explorer is far and away superior to Windows Explorer.

Gaming if you are concerned on that front, makes no difference on Windows 7 or Windows 8 at this point. Maybe in the future as Direct X 11.1 will be only for Windows 8 - if it even gets released.

Every time I play with 8 I just shake my head. Microsoft fucked up (yet again) and is having hard time selling this to people. Add that to the problem with the different tablet versions and comparability issues, it's a mess.

But to answer the question, I'd get the pro version.

bread's done
Back