Should I cancel my ps4 preorder?

I was testing my desire for a PS4 by picking parts for a new gaming PC that's more powerful but similar in price. I'm thinking Radeon 6870, six-core CPU, 8 gigs of ram, etc. The only way I could get the price down to just over $500 is by pirating Windows 7, which I'm not interested in doing. Windows 7 adds another $100 to any build, and I'm not a student anymore.

It's kind of amazing how many PC gamers take pirating Windows 7 as a given and never include it in their proposed builds. If the future of PC gaming is predicated on mainstream consumers pirating Windows, then no wonder consoles are more popular.

My reason for holding out in addition to their being no good games expected for awhile is the pattern of launch consoles having issues (i.e. RROD) The whole idea of having it first with nothing to play then ending up being the guinea pig because the console ends up overheating doesn't make sense to me. I may even wait until the "slim" model comes out that ends up being more reliable and is cheaper.

This is all going by past experiences of course but I just have no hurry to go next gen.

The biggest argument for keeping your PS4 preorder is PS+, plain and simple. You don't need to invest any more money in it until the game you really want (Infamous or whatever) comes out. But you'll still get some great stuff to play in the mean time. I played Contrast at PAX and it is really good - I'm actually glad Drive Club (which I also played) got delayed and we are getting that instead.

Without PS+, I'd say wait since I'm sure there will be a gift card/game bundle deal at the least by next year around this time (though not too likely before that).
PS+ is the only thing that is making me think of getting a PS4. The idea that when I finally pick up a PS4, that I will have missed out on all those free offerings actually bothers me. I am hopeful that someone I can still purchase them through the web store or through the PS3 store and that way when I do get the PS4, I can download them all.

My reason for holding out in addition to their being no good games expected for awhile is the pattern of launch consoles having issues (i.e. RROD) The whole idea of having it first with nothing to play then ending up being the guinea pig because the console ends up overheating doesn't make sense to me. I may even wait until the "slim" model comes out that ends up being more reliable and is cheaper.

This is all going by past experiences of course but I just have no hurry to go next gen.
PS3 didn't have any widespread issues anywhere near launch.

I'm hoping the PS4 is built just as well.

PS+ is the only thing that is making me think of getting a PS4. The idea that when I finally pick up a PS4, that I will have missed out on all those free offerings actually bothers me. I am hopeful that someone I can still purchase them through the web store or through the PS3 store and that way when I do get the PS4, I can download them all.
I'm pretty sure it's been confirmed that if you have PS+ you can purchase the freebies for PS4 from the webstore and then have them to download whenever you get the console. Don't see how it would work any other ways since once PS+ account works across PS3, PS4 and Vita. No different than me grabbing Vita freebies the time I've had PS+ even though I don't have a Vita and may never get one (may get a Vita TV though).

I'm pretty sure it's been confirmed that if you have PS+ you can purchase the freebies for PS4 from the webstore and then have them to download whenever you get the console. Don't see how it would work any other ways since once PS+ account works across PS3, PS4 and Vita. No different than me grabbing Vita freebies the time I've had PS+ even though I don't have a Vita and may never get one (may get a Vita TV though).
I think you're correct---and hopefully it continues this way. Even if you have just one or two (or even none) of the Sony consoles/handhelds it would make sense to get a cheap PS+ subscription soon, even if you don't plan on getting a PS4 right away.

That is how I hope it happens. My only concern is that on the Vita, you cannot purchase items for the PS3. So it isn't completely redundant on all platforms currently.

I'm in the same boat but my indecision is flip flopped. I'm considering canceling my xbox one. I recieved my ps4 2nd controller early and remarkably it feels good. The triggers on the xbox 360 still feel better though. I'm probably going to save the xbox one for a xmas present.

That is how I hope it happens. My only concern is that on the Vita, you cannot purchase items for the PS3. So it isn't completely redundant on all platforms currently.

It was confirmed, I believe it was listed in the PS4 FAQ that was posted on the PS blog if you'd like the source.

I wouldnt. If it turns out you dont want one now, you can always try and sell it for a profit. Not that its encouraged to do so, but might as well strike while they are super hot during the first week. :censored:

Had my ps3 account hacked and got a free year of lifelock or something similar, can't really recall also had my account returned promptly. Got my xbox account fifa hacked and it took 3 months to get it back after 5 phone calls and the run around.

One can read my CAG blogs for the awful ordeal I had with my Live account hacking. It can happen on any platform, and none has the greatest customer service.

I highly recommend reselling it on ebay. people will buy as long as you are not charging $1000 for it. Start the bidding at the price you are paying plus what ever tax there is. you will definitely hit over 600. After the bidding ends and the ps4 is paid for, change the delivery address on your amazon account to the winning bidders address.
Also if it sells fast enough you may even have your money deposited before launch.

i paid off my ps4 last week that i only spent $250 on. The rest of the money was covered with trade in credit.
I sold it for $785 on ebay as a call of duty bundle with and extra controller. $680 after ebay and paypal fees.

All said and done i made $430 profit. which essentially pays for another ps4. which i will buy sometime next year.

How can you sell something you don't even own? I would be pissed as a buyer to know that you don't even have the product in hand.

There will always be people that are willing to pay a premium just to avoid the inconvenience of going to to store. As long as you aren't asking for an astronomical amount it will sell.

There will always be people that are willing to pay a premium just to avoid the inconvenience of going to to store. As long as you aren't asking for an astronomical amount it will sell.
But in this day and age said people could have just preordered from Amazon or other online stores and got it at MSRP with no hassle.

I've been waffling on the decision for a while now, but I just cancelled my preorder. None of the launch exclusives interest me, the multi-plat games don't seem to be inferior enough that I can't enjoy them on my PS3, and even the stuff coming later down the line (Watch Dogs, Infamous) doesn't seem like enough to justify $400. We'll see what next year has in store.

The opportunity for reserving it to get it by launch day is far gone.
Of course. I'm just skeptical that there's a huge market of people who didn't preorder and don't want to try their luck at a store that didn't do preorders. *shrugs* I'll be surprised if people are making more than $100 profit selling locally. People will have to be willing to ship overseas to markets that they aren't launching in yet to make any big profits.

Of course. I'm just skeptical that there's a huge market of people who didn't preorder and don't want to try their luck at a store that didn't do preorders. *shrugs* I'll be surprised if people are making more than $100 profit selling locally. People will have to be willing to ship overseas to markets that they aren't launching in yet to make any big profits.
We shall see by next week. Prices will be determined by how fast Sony can re-supply.

I cancelled mine. There was nothing but games I already own on last gen systems that I wanted on both new systems until March or so. I was going to get Watchdogs on ps4 and had the bundle but really wasn't too impressed by that game anyways so will hold off. When Destiny or Final Fantasy XIV launched next gen then I plan on picking it up.Otherwise I would have bought the system and some over priced games that I really didn't want in the first place just to have something to play on it.

The next gen console itch is more than enough for most people. I am sure it is in very high demand.
We'll see in the coming weeks I guess. Just seems to be a lot more people on forums canceling preorders or sitting out the launch than the past couple generations. *shrugs*

I could just be noticing the posts more this time around though, given my own total apathy toward next gen.

We'll see in the coming weeks I guess. Just seems to be a lot more people on forums canceling preorders or sitting out the launch than the past couple generations. *shrugs*

I could just be noticing the posts more this time around though, given my own total apathy toward next gen.
people that post on forums =/= the general public

So did you cancel? I think you will be very happy if you didn't? I bought both the xbox one and ps4 and even the wiiu at launch. I have to confess the ps4 has won me over. I think ms tried to do too much with the xbox one and I'm just not satisfied with the outcome. I bought the xbox one to use it as advertised for the tv features and I've found many shortcomings much like I did with google tv a few years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
haha nope didnt cancel

Have never had a Sony console as my "primary" system before (although ive owned a psx,2,3),  this one definitely will be.

The Xbone is straight up outclassed this time around

Nice, after playing mine the other day I thought of this post and wondered if you ever cancelled. I was pretty impressed with my system.

I still have no regrets about canceling.  Just no games on PS4 (or X1) that I want to play.  I doubt I'll buy any of the launch games even when I eventually get a PS4.  Maybe Killzone, but reviews/impressions of that have me pretty lukewarm on it since I already wasn't that big a fan of the series.

I'm very happy with deciding to get the Wii U for now as there's more out/coming next year that I want to play than there is on PS4 in terms of what's announced so far.

Not that the PS4/X1 lineups are terrible, I'm just burnt out on CoD/BF/AC, was never into sports games, racers or fighting games much, so there's just not much there that personally appeals to me right now.

I still have no regrets about canceling. Just no games on PS4 (or X1) that I want to play. I doubt I'll buy any of the launch games even when I eventually get a PS4. Maybe Killzone, but reviews/impressions of that have me pretty lukewarm on it since I already wasn't that big a fan of the series.

I'm very happy with deciding to get the Wii U for now as there's more out/coming next year that I want to play than there is on PS4 in terms of what's announced so far.

Not that the PS4/X1 lineups are terrible, I'm just burnt out on CoD/BF/AC, was never into sports games, racers or fighting games much, so there's just not much there that personally appeals to me right now.

Ive always hated the Assassins creed / resistance/killzone series and I gotta say so far AC4 is fricken amazing (its the only one i actually got into) and Killzone was just wow. If you have a really nice TV you might like some of these games (or like them better) simply because of the eye candy they bring. I was really really impressed first time I played Killzone

I agree the lineup isnt sexy at all, but I think theres more than a few games that are really enjoable. Then again I do love sports so NBA 2k14 is something im looking forward to (a shame that im hearing that Madden is complete trash though)

If I could go back a month I would have canceled my Xbone until it had some price drops or bundles or something. Theres just nothing special about that system right now. Maybe developers will optimize it better eventually, and make Kinect serve a purpose

Ive always hated the Assassins creed / resistance/killzone series and I gotta say so far AC4 is fricken amazing (its the only one i actually got into) and Killzone was just wow. If you have a really nice TV you might like some of these games (or like them better) simply because of the eye candy they bring. I was really really impressed first time I played Killzone
I don't care much about graphics, which is the other reason I have no issues waiting a year or two.

I may have to check out AC4 sometime I guess. I liked AC 2 a lot (though I had a lot of gripes with it). Couldn't get into Brotherhood as there was just too much big group combat (and I hated the combat in AC2) and I felt like I was constantly running from guards. I'm just not a huge fan of open world, sandbox games in general though, so liking AC 2 was a bit of an anomaly for me.

I don't care much about graphics, which is the other reason I have no issues waiting a year or two.

I may have to check out AC4 sometime I guess. I liked AC 2 a lot (though I had a lot of gripes with it). Couldn't get into Brotherhood as there was just too much big group combat (and I hated the combat in AC2) and I felt like I was constantly running from guards. I'm just not a huge fan of open world, sandbox games in general though, so liking AC 2 was a bit of an anomaly for me.

IMO, AC4 fixes a lot of the little problems that AC games have had for a while...

1.Getting away from guards is much easier.

2. Stealth sections are more forgiving.

3. No more Notoriety when you're on land(it only applies to the sea - and I've yet to have othe ships actually come after me).

Those are the few right off the top of my head, but this is the first one in a while that actually feels like an improvement. I've played, finished(and nearly completed each game 100%) and this is definitely my favorite since ACII. However, if the ship sections bore you then you may not like it. I say it's worth a shot though.

Thanks. It should be dirt cheap by the time I get around to getting a PS4 anyway, so definitely will give it a shot at some point.

bread's done
Back