Should I get a 2nd gen I7 or a 3rd gen I5

UnicornBang

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hello, I am torn on this. I like the reviews and the specs on the Intel I5 3570k. The price isn't bad either. I am just torn because I am not sure if it would be better to wait a couple months and get an I7. I play games a lot on the PC and my I3 just isn't doing enough for me. I can play BF3 on pretty high settings with no lag. But I want more out of my rig. I will list my current PC specs at the bottom. Just looking for any input or experience. Thank you for your time.

Windows 7 64 bit
8 gigs of ram
EVGA 660 gtx SC
600 watt power supply
I3 2120
Mobo is not amazing but is compatible with I3/I5/I7 1155 socket.

Currently Playing:
Batman Arkham City
Dota 2
The Binding of Isaac
CIV V Gods and Kings
The Walking Dead
Hotline Miami

What I7 are you looking at? I'd say the I5 as it is relatively cheap. It is not like you have an uber graphics card - I mean you are talking about a ~$200 card. While the I3 may be holding it back, the 3570k should not in most games. Then again that's just my logical thinking.

Put it this way - the cheapest I7 is about $80-100 more than the 3570. You can get another couple of games for that.

Just for gaming? Then I would only look at an I5. The I7 provides almost no gaming performance over the I5. Either Sandy or Ivy are great choices. I have the i5-2500k and love it. It overclocks higher than the Ivy Bridge, but if you're not planning on overclocking, go with Ivy.

I don't really know what I7 to be honest. Definitely looking at the I5 3570k I won't be overclocking the cpu right now, but want the option for later down the road. If you can find the GPU for 200 it's a steal. Granted it is only a mid range card but it scores nice for the price. I was considering streaming some games on twitch. I can do it now with my I3 but was wondering if that should be factored in before the purchase. I only have 3 up speeds so I know I can only cast in 720p at the moment. I really appreciate both of your inputs.

I'd go with the I5 for gaming. (I have an I7 for renders and it only barely edges-out my I5 gaming rig)

Save the money with an I5 or just wait all-together for the next gen.

A little late but I'll agree with the others, if the main function is gaming & entertainment then I5 hands down, the differences will be minimal at best. I'd save the money and use it for something else that could improve your system in other ways. Be it hard drive improvement, SLI (if needed or possible), better sound, etc, etc.

bread's done
Back