Should I get a PS2 and what is its market value?

0_0

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (91%)
I used to always play exclusively on Nintendo consoles, but I've gotten hooked on the PS3. But since I got a Slim, I can't play old PS2 games!

I'm mainly interesting in the FF games, Kingdom Hearts and Jak and Daxter

Should I go for it or just wait for the inevitable remakes?

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Yes, I would recomend getting one of the most popular consoles of all time with possibly the greatest library of all time.[/QUOTE]

I agree it has a lot of lengitivty and quality, but some of the greatest games on PS2 are coming over as trilogies on the PS3. MSG, GoW, Sly Cooper, Ico / Shadow of the Colossus, and some more are already on the PS3 or coming soon.

It is really worth it to waste money on an inferior product (lesser graphics) than to be patient?

I have a BC 80gb ps3, it plays every ps2 game I have except Ratchet and Clank series. None of them play, not one. For that reason alone I wish I had a functional ps2. I doubt those will ever be released on ps3, and if only for that reason, I'm in support of having one around. However, keep in mind that you won't have HD graphics or widescreen (always), in case you have an HDTV.

I actually would've considered grabbing one of the clearanced slims at Target recently, but I'm too strapped for cash. I would check on craigslist as well, people are always trying to get rid of bundles including extra controllers and memory cards, as those are still expensive new.

Yes, you need one most games still hold up well, I still play my PS2 all the time even though I have a PS3. If you don't get one you are doing yourself a huge disservice, their is a reason it is the best selling game console of all time

[quote name='unopepito06']I have a BC 80gb ps3, it plays every ps2 game I have except Ratchet and Clank series. None of them play, not one. For that reason alone I wish I had a functional ps2. I doubt those will ever be released on ps3, and if only for that reason, I'm in support of having one around. However, keep in mind that you won't have HD graphics or widescreen (always), in case you have an HDTV.

I actually would've considered grabbing one of the clearanced slims at Target recently, but I'm too strapped for cash. I would check on craigslist as well, people are always trying to get rid of bundles including extra controllers and memory cards, as those are still expensive new.[/QUOTE]
Not to contradict you here, but Kmart already clearanced out the silver PS2 controllers down to $5 a while ago, Sears clearanced out the blue ones down to about as cheap and Sears also eliminated the red/blue memory card two packs down to $5 a pack last year sometime or so as well.

So the deals on controllers/memory cards DO exist if you can find them. Kmart also clearanced the PS3 memory card adapters down to $2 each a while ago, so you could at least archive your PS2 game saves on your PS3's HDD, even if you couldn't play them.
[quote name='KornKid91']Yes, you need one most games still hold up well, I still play my PS2 all the time even though I have a PS3. If you don't get one you are doing yourself a huge disservice, their is a reason it is the best selling game console of all time[/QUOTE]
I thought that was because people kept buying replacements last gen due to the disc read error problem?:razz:;) And yes, I'm joking around, but I personally did know someone who had 4-6 PS2's last gen stacked up that were varying degrees of broken.:cry:

Kingdom hearts is one of my favorite series ever, and that's coming from a pretty big Nintendo fan. Ico if you can find it and SotC are amazing, though as you said they're both coming to the PS3. The PS2 version of Beyond Good and Evil was substantially less buggy then the GC version, at least in my experience, so I'd suggest that if you haven't played it already, and as was mentioned there's no shortage of RPGs spanning the entire spectrum of the genre. Dark Cloud as well was a big title. Average dungeon crawling but combined with a very unique world building concept, if you like a lot of hack and slash I'd suggest it, though personally I felt like it got stale.

[quote name='0_0']ok, besides final fantasy and jak + daxter, what games should I pick up[/QUOTE]

Y's, Persona, .hack//, Katamari, Xenosaga, Z.O.E., too many to name.

There are far too many to name. You need Tales Of The Abyss though. That is my favorite game of all time. The character development over the course of that game is just phenomenal.

[quote name='0_0']ok, besides final fantasy and jak + daxter, what games should I pick up[/QUOTE]

Action Games-Devil May Cry 1 and 3 ,God of War 1 and 2,shadow of the colossus,Okami,Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2,GodHand,Metal Gear Solid 3,and the Ratchet & Clank series.

RPG'S-Shadow Hearts series,Persona series,Dragon Quest 8,and Suikoden 3

Should be enough for you to get started with.

PS2's are being clearanced? I've been waiting but didn't know it was already happening. I thought it would be a loooong time before they would clearancing since my local BB picked up a ton for the holidays.

Where are the best places to pick up a clearanced PS2 and what are the prices? I wouldn't mind picking up a spare to back up my original phatty.

OP, starting April 18th (date changed), PS2 games are B2G2 at GameStop. With PS2 games no longer working on the PS3, it won't be too long before they're all clearanced out, like GBA games are scheduled to be this month. My advice is to definitely buy a PS2 slim and pick up some great RPGs. Go for Disgaea if you're into anime. You'll be playing that game forever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yah, I got one with some free Sony points, then bought about 40 of the best games released on the platform. I've only played about 4 of them so far (mostly on week long business trips) but that SLIM model is so freakin sexy. I hadn't seen one before, so when it showed up, and it was smaller than a paperback book, I was pleasantly surprised. It's also fun because you can see how much more game UI and graphics have grown since the PS2. Truly though, fantastic system, very glad I decided to get one.

I would suggest checking out some best of lists on IGN or others, then also seeing the top releases on Metacritic and finding those used. I've spent (between craigslist, gamestop, and a couple others) $214 for 42 games, including both Kingdom Hearts, Ico, and Shadow of the Collosus, Persona 3 FES. I didn't spend more than $10 for a single one of them. Great bargains to be had, especially locally.

[quote name='Blade']With PS2 games no longer working on the PS3, it won't be too long before they're all clearanced out, like GBA games are scheduled to be this month.[/QUOTE]

I don't think that's true. PS2 games are still being developed.

[quote name='Survivalism']I don't think that's true. PS2 games are still being developed.[/QUOTE]
If you consider Wii ports of sport and wrestling games as "development" then yeah, I guess they are.

[quote name='Invicta 61']PS2's are being clearanced? I've been waiting but didn't know it was already happening. I thought it would be a loooong time before they would clearancing since my local BB picked up a ton for the holidays.

Where are the best places to pick up a clearanced PS2 and what are the prices? I wouldn't mind picking up a spare to back up my original phatty.[/QUOTE]
Target has them for varying prices right now on clearance. The ones by me are only down to $70($69.98 or so) right now, but since it's YMMV on how quickly different Target stores drop prices on stuff you local store(s) may be down to 50% off($50) by now or lower.
[quote name='The 7th Number']where can i get a ps2 for 50 or less new?[/QUOTE]
See above.

You just have to look around. Some will keep the PS2's in the same case as the PS3's(one of the endcaps by the games), while others will put them out on an endcap near electronics.

FYI mine are in the short glass case with the ps3s. They are at $70 right now as well.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Would they tell me if its on clearance if i called them up and asked how much the PS2 systems are?[/QUOTE]

Eh, not recommended, for many reasons. Best to just go there and check yourself...

bread's done
Back