Should I get an iPod Touch or a Zune HD?

Fortune_P_Dawg

CAGiversary!
I've been debating between the two for the past few days and I just can't decide.

iPod
I love the iPod's plethora of free/cheap software, applications, and games. I like that it has Bluetooth support.

I don't like the fact that iPods still scratch really easy.
I don't like the $199 price-point for an 8GB media player.
I don't like the lack of a camera.
I don't like the lack of a radio antenna

Zune HD
I love the Zune's superior hardware; brushed aluminum, OLED screen, etc.
I like that it has a built in radio antenna.
I like the fact that I can get 16GB for $199.

I don't like the lack of Bluetooth support.
I don't like the lack of free/cheap applications and software.

I just can't decide... I love the Bluetooth support and apps of the iPod but the Zune's hardware just destroys it. I can't decide.

IMO, ask yourself what you will be using it for. if it is going to be MAINLY a music player, I would say get the Zune. If you are going to use the apps a lot and the internet, etc on the iPod, you are better off there. I got a touch and liked all the extra features, but after about a month of playing with it, I realized I wanted just a good mp3 player for the money and sold it.

[quote name='georox']People still use radio? (Other than Pandora, of course.)[/QUOTE]

I do. So I was very happy Apple finally added an FM tuner to the Nano at least.

I listen to some NPR news. And the TVs in my gym send the audio over FM, so I use that if I want to watch sportscenter while on the treadmill rather than listen to something etc.

Music wise I don't listen to the radio too much--though I have been in the car lately. Haven't bought a new CD for a while and too much trouble to hook the mp3 player up for my 10-15 minute commute.

If you want something cheaper and mainly as an mp3 player then you probably shouldn't go with the ipod. Otherwise, if you do want the things the ipod has you should buy at least the 32GB version unless you don't plan on using many apps/storing a lot of music. I'd only go with an 8GB ipod touch if I had like 6GB or less of music I wanted to put on it.

You can get a 32GB on Amazon for $270. It fluctuates sometimes too, I got mine for $257.54 about 2 months ago. The 8GB are $178.54 right now.

They are going to release a new i touch, there are some pictures leaked, that has a built in camera. It will probably be unveiled at the Apple conference on June 7th so I would wait unless you really need one. Also, not sure what kind of phone you have but you might considered spending that money to upgrade to an Iphone or one of the many android powered phones that have MP3 players.

[quote name='georox']People still use radio? (Other than Pandora, of course.)[/QUOTE]

I use mine if I am in the car in the morning, I listen to bob and tom on it. Thats about it.

I wouldnt mind radio so much if it wasnt 23 minutes of commercials between each song, and each song was repeated like 3 times per hour.

Honest question. Why wouldn't you get a phone with solid music capability instead? It'll have the apps, GPS, music ability, bluetooth headphone ability, etc. I can't see a good reason to get a stand alone player above anything WebOS, Android, Apple, etc. And with new phones have 720p out, it just doesn't make any sense at all.

In my opinion.

[quote name='speedracer']Honest question. Why wouldn't you get a phone with solid music capability instead? It'll have the apps, GPS, music ability, bluetooth headphone ability, etc. I can't see a good reason to get a stand alone player above anything WebOS, Android, Apple, etc. And with new phones have 720p out, it just doesn't make any sense at all.

In my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Well, a lot of those phones require data planes (at least iPhone, Android and Palm WebOS phones).

Many people (myself included) just have no need for a smart phone nor internet on our phones etc. as we're pretty much always near a PC, thus it's a waste of money. Also absurdly priced at $30 a month when my 12 MBPS internet runs me $19.99 (promo, but I've had that price for years by threatening to leave).

As for non-smart phones that can play music--the past few I've had could do music. But the interface sucked, and I found it really drained battery life. And I want my phone available when I need to make a call, send a text etc., not have it dead from listing to music etc.

But that's just me. If one needs/wants a smart phone, that's probably the way to go. Just be sure to keep an extra charger in the office if you find the battery not lasting a full day between calls/texts, music, netsurfing etc.

In comparing my gf's ipod touch to my zune...i feel that the video image/colors on movies look a lot better on the zune than the ipod touch. Zune users are screwed when it comes to BR/DVD/Digital Copy movies because the DC movies only work for Ipods and PC/MACs. One has to either buy the movie off the zune marketplace, or rip/convert a dvd then put it on the zune. Hands down the touch wins in the apps department because the Zune apps are a joke. :( You wait for months and all you get is a stop watch, solitaire and a few useless apps.

Zune has way better software and is a sexy beast. I bought my second zune hd 16gb on amazon for 170. Cannot beat that price.

[quote name='speedracer']Honest question. Why wouldn't you get a phone with solid music capability instead? It'll have the apps, GPS, music ability, bluetooth headphone ability, etc. I can't see a good reason to get a stand alone player above anything WebOS, Android, Apple, etc. And with new phones have 720p out, it just doesn't make any sense at all.

In my opinion.[/QUOTE]

I like having my devices separated out, mainly because of battery life. I use my Zune and my Blackberry so often that if I had one single device to serve both purposes, I'd probably have to charge the damn thing every few hours.

And from what I've seen of my friends' usage of their iPhones, it seems like they're always low on battery, being charged, or is near dead. And to me, that doesn't make any sense. IMO, a cell phone is still first and foremost a toolbox. Its ability to message, e-mail, phone, web, are all tools and are all mostly utilitarian in nature. To be unable to use those tools due to a dead battery because I was too busy fucking around listening to my music and playing Words with Friends just seems dumb.

IDK. I just like the separation personally. I like charging my Zune every 3-5 days, and my phone every other day, instead of every 4 hours and constantly worrying about battery life.

But anyways, if you are only going to use something for music, I'm pro-Zune. If you want apps and what not, iPod touch. However be aware that a refresh of the iPod touch line could be coming alongside the new iPhones this summer, if not soon after.

I don't know how many people would use this program, but the Zune pass might be a huge pro for the Zune compared to buying each song off iTunes. I really want to get a Zune since the HD radio tuner and the amazing screen/audio quality.

[quote name='dafoomie']Love the Zune HD, and don't forget its got an HD radio tuner.[/QUOTE]

i can never get that to work.... i tried the radio in mexico, that didn't work either lol.

Get a zaggskin for your ipod.

I'm leaning towards a Touch as well, the free wi-fi is pretty cool. I'd also say thay 8gb is plenty if you're primarily loading up music. Just keep the stuff you're burnt out on off the ipod.

I live in an area where there is a lot of crime and pickpocketing. For some reason, I'm under the impression that thieves are more likely to steal an Ipod or Iphone as oppose to a Zune or any other mp3 player. I have no hard evidence to support this though.

Personally I own a Zune and I love it. I mainly use it for a music player though.

[quote name='Xevious']I live in an area where there is a lot of crime and pickpocketing. For some reason, I'm under the impression that thieves are more likely to steal an Ipod or Iphone as oppose to a Zune or any other mp3 player. I have no hard evidence to support this though.

Personally I own a Zune and I love it. I mainly use it for a music player though.[/QUOTE]

im pretty sure ive read that the apply white earphones are a green light for pick pockets / petty thieves, if you have an apply product use different headphones.

old article i could dig up.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/03/21/MNGRUOOVAA1.DTL

OP, do you just want music or are apps something you want? thats the big question. if apps dont matter then you have a lot of choices, ipd, zune and then some.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']im pretty sure ive read that the apply white earphones are a green light for pick pockets / petty thieves, if you have an apply product use different headphones.

old article i could dig up.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/03/21/MNGRUOOVAA1.DTL

OP, do you just want music or are apps something you want? thats the big question. if apps dont matter then you have a lot of choices, ipd, zune and then some.[/QUOTE]

Great article! I have black ear phones and I usually use my Zune on the bus and at the gym. Occasionally I walk around Berkeley Campus with the ear buds but no one has given me trouble.

Maybe it would be a different story with the white ear buds.

I've had my Itouch for 2 years and love it. Plenty of great free apps to kill time with and the wifi is awesome.
My contract with T-mobile ends in Nov. and I hope to pick up the 4G Iphone.

ok look i registered just to tell you this
zune is manily supported by its users because if you search online for apps there are the 15 in the markplace and then the one the users make. SO the zune actually has alot of apps i have used about 100 or so different ones also this is one thing the Ipod touch doesnt have the zune hd can use a app called virtual boy zune its an emulator for gameboy and gameboy color so i can play pokemon gold,silver,red, blue or yellow on my zune and the creators of it are close to making it able to run gameboy advance so
basically : the zune actually has alot of good apps aswell as an emulator(free games YAY)
its cheaper
smaller
i haven't had a problem with it (bugs and stuff)
has an ok battery life will last about 3-5 hours when playing game and listening to music

so join the zune community dont be like everyone else (note i say this b/c more people have ipods)

If you want a legit PMP/MP3 specifically for music/sound Samsung P3 or Cowon S9.

If you want a PMP/MP3 for a good UI and flashy apps, get a Touch or zune.

[quote name='cookiez']ok look i registered just to tell you this
zune is manily supported by its users because if you search online for apps there are the 15 in the markplace and then the one the users make. SO the zune actually has alot of apps i have used about 100 or so different ones also this is one thing the Ipod touch doesnt have the zune hd can use a app called virtual boy zune its an emulator for gameboy and gameboy color so i can play pokemon gold,silver,red, blue or yellow on my zune and the creators of it are close to making it able to run gameboy advance so
basically : the zune actually has alot of good apps aswell as an emulator(free games YAY)
its cheaper
smaller
i haven't had a problem with it (bugs and stuff)
has an ok battery life will last about 3-5 hours when playing game and listening to music

so join the zune community dont be like everyone else (note i say this b/c more people have ipods)[/QUOTE]

The ipod touch can already run GBA emulator, as well as nintendo 64 and playstation

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']IMO, ask yourself what you will be using it for. if it is going to be MAINLY a music player, I would say get the Zune. If you are going to use the apps a lot and the internet, etc on the iPod, you are better off there. I got a touch and liked all the extra features, but after about a month of playing with it, I realized I wanted just a good mp3 player for the money and sold it.[/QUOTE]

this

[quote name='62t']The ipod touch can already run GBA emulator, as well as nintendo 64 and playstation[/QUOTE]
Yeah but I think he's responding to whoever said the Zune only had like 2 apps.

They only started being able to run 3rd party apps on the Zune a month ago, but theres a lot of potential there. You don't even have to jailbreak it. The Zune's got a lot more horsepower and a better screen than an Ipod Touch, hopefully in time the applications come that take advantage of it.

Not having to use iTunes is also a big plus.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had an original 30GB Zune and it was a great MP3/video player. The ZuneHD by design is slicker and just a prettier device than what Apple offers with the iTouch. As much as I loved the Zune though, I got rid of it after getting an iPhone.

Really the App store and iTunes make the iTouch the clear winner, the fact that you can surf the web and listen to music on the same device is pretty nice if you are on the go and have wifi.

Get the iTouch but I would wait out till mid June for Apples conference thing because they MIGHT show one that could a camera and running the NEW OS better than the originals plus it might have the same hardware as the new iphone coming out that has the same processer as the iPad

All the text above is a guess and may or may not happen :D

If you bought movies over the Xbox 360 Zune Marketplace you can also transfer them to your Zune player since its a shared account and 1 purchase on the marketplace gets you the 360 version, PC version and portable player version.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']Get the iTouch but I would wait out till mid June for Apples conference thing because they MIGHT show one that could a camera and running the NEW OS better than the originals plus it might have the same hardware as the new iphone coming out that has the same processer as the iPad

All the text above is a guess and may or may not happen :D[/QUOTE]

All the text is pretty good speculation, except the June announcements.

Apple announces new iPods in September, and has for many years.

In any case, getting a iPod Touch/Zune this late in the yearly product cycle is dumb. Wait until September to see what is announced for new Pods and Zunes before buying either one.

They need to release something like a Zune HD Pro with a screen the size of the ipod touch or a bit bigger. It feels like they were being cautious with the screen size of the zune hd :|

bread's done
Back