should I go with gamefly?

soriku

CAGiversary!
I've been thinking about getting a subscription to Gamefly. If I was to pay for 12 months worth of service, it would cost me about $165 (2 games at a time). Could somebody who uses Gamefly please tell me the pros and cons?

These are the pros and cons to me, but I'm not a member..

Pros: Keep as long as you want, no reason to buy games.

Cons: You have to wait a few days for a new game, newer release games may not be available at release

It seems like people only play new release games for a month or two anyway, so gamefly is a great alternative to buying games.

Plus, if you DO decide to get a game at release, you can do the "Keep it now" option and keep a new release game at a discounted price, usually around $45.

I've been with them for about a year and a half now and haven't had a bad experience yet. The turn around time is usually a day to get a game (though I live a few hours from one of their shipping centers) and they're usually good with sending new releases out the same day as long as you have a slot open in your Q.

Being a member for a few months also has some benefits to it like getting a permanent 10% and a $5 off coupon for their store every few months, which is mostly games under $30. As Scorch said too, you'll be able to keep games you have out (well, some of them anyway) for a lower price and most new releases are dropped to $40 within a few weeks of release. I was able to buy Prince of Persia and Fallout 3 last year for $35.

The only bad thing I've noticed with them is that the service slows down greatly towards the end of November and throughout the rest of the year. But that's probably because everyone and their mother is getting free trials and subscriptions as gifts during that time.

But your experience can vary. There's tons of horror stories online about people not getting their games for weeks on end or no games being sent out to them from their Q. You should probably give it a shot though, there's plenty of free trial offers out there for two weeks and more.

[quote name='soriku']I've been thinking about getting a subscription to Gamefly. If I was to pay for 12 months worth of service, it would cost me about $165 (2 games at a time). Could somebody who uses Gamefly please tell me the pros and cons?[/quote]

How are you getting it for $165? Even with the 20% off it's $220 on the site. I happily paid the $220, but I play a TON of games and get one day shipping. I also did as more of a time and frustration savings. It is definitely cheaper to chase deals if you have the time and are willing to deal with issues that may pop up.

A lot rides on where you live in relation to their shipping center. I'm in St. Louis, and it would literally be two weeks between dropping a game into the mail and receiving a replacement... so I dumped them. Plus, one game got lost in shipping and it took another week to get its replacement after I figured out it wouldn't come. It was miserable.

Meanwhile, my buddy in Tampa loves it, because there's a local shipping center. Mileage may vary. The only other pros and cons... the Queue is wierd - sometimes it would say availability high on my top game, and I'd get one lower down the list. The plus is the "Keep it" option - if you like a game, you can buy it at a discount, and be happy immediately. Good luck.

Consider buying a 2 month sub on Ebay for like $5. Try it first.

Just took them 6 days to send me a game from my queue (15 game queue, no new releases on it).

6 days from the time they received my last game to the time they shipped out a new one. The shipping center is 5 hours away from me fyi.

I'll likely be quitting soon. No reason for a delay that long.

I have the 1 game plan and Gamefly definatly saves me money. I've had them for a year and haven't experienced any problems. I mainly use it for games that take me just a few days to beat. If you know how to manage your queue you can have it so you get the new releases first.

My only major problem is the shipping for new releses. Like most enthusiastic gamers I want to play games the minute they come out. Waiting 4-5 days kills me sometimes. Another minor problem is when there is nothing I want to play. I usually end up renting games I have a little interest in.

[quote name='Rodimus']I have the 1 game plan and Gamefly definatly saves me money. I've had them for a year and haven't experienced any problems. I mainly use it for games that take me just a few days to beat. If you know how to manage your queue you can have it so you get the new releases first.

My only major problem is the shipping for new releses. Like most enthusiastic gamers I want to play games the minute they come out. Waiting 4-5 days kills me sometimes. Another minor problem is when there is nothing I want to play. I usually end up renting games I have a little interest in.[/QUOTE]

Making sure they get your game in a day before a new release comes out?

Like other people have said, how far you live from their shipping centers makes a big difference. I live maybe five or six hours from one and it would still be a week between me dropping a game in the mailbox and receiving the next one in my queue, and that's assuming there wasn't a wait list. Then again, I also only had the one-game plan. Depending on how fast you go through games, you might try having two out at once so you'll still have one to play while the other's in the mail.

[quote name='seanr1221']Making sure they get your game in a day before a new release comes out?[/quote]

Yeah, first I empty my queue except for the new release game. Since I have a 1 day plan I make sure that whatever game I have out is received back in before the new release games launch date. It's not a 100% proved science but it's always worked for me.

i canceled my account because the games i wanted just never ended up being available and there aren't enough distribution centers. so i always ended up waiting like a week to a week and a half for my new games to arrive and they were always ones from like halfway down or the bottom of my queue. Netflix should just buy them out, because they are so much better about getting your disc to you fast, and having a selection worth paying for. i would be so happy with a combination game and film queue on Netflix.

[quote name='jkanownik']How are you getting it for $165? Even with the 20% off it's $220 on the site. I happily paid the $220, but I play a TON of games and get one day shipping. I also did as more of a time and frustration savings. It is definitely cheaper to chase deals if you have the time and are willing to deal with issues that may pop up.[/quote]
Oops I used the introductory price of 12.95 instead of 22.95. I don't think I will go with GameFly .The wait times seem to be the biggest complaint. I live in CT so I would probably be serviced by the Pittsburgh center which is about 8 hours away .

bread's done
Back