Should I report this guy to ebay?

I got a gamecube game from him... he said it was in excellent condition... for the most part it is... except the manual smells of smoke like crazy so I initially didn't leave him feedback.

He wrote this...
"Hi!
Just a friendly reminder that feed back is great for the BOTH of us"

So I pretty much asked why does it smell like smoke.

He writes

"Because my wife is a smoker. What does that have to do with feedback??? The game itself is in great shape is it not??? You can always spray some smell pretty or fabrize on the book."

I tell him that when I open a game and it's suppose to be in excellent condition, I shouldn't smell a bunch of damn smoke. (since I wouldn't have bid on it to begin with).

He then write me two messages.

" Very nice response. If you are so unhappy with your purchase, I will be most happy to refund your costs as long as you send back the smelly things at MY cost. "

and

"P.S.
I forgot to inform you that your last post should be reported to E-BAY. Curse words are NOT allowed in any shape or form on this business site. UNDERSTAND??? I answered All of your questions honestly. If you have an obvious attitude problem, you really should NOT deal on E-BAY at all. "

You know, I didn't swear at him and since when is DAMN a curse. He's being quite the asshole and abusive to me. I am thinking of reporting him to ebay.

What should I leave him as his neg?

Item stinks of smoke, Buyer Beware. Seller is abusive when there is a complaint. Is that good?

I think if its such a problem you should return it to him and get a refund. Unless he stated that it came from a smoke free home in his ad.

He does sound like an idiot for the part about reporting you to ebay for using a curse word though. On that subject, you should probably calm down a bit, there really is no need to swear because something smells. I dont smoke and cant stand the smell of it either but no reason to get all upset at it.

If you are going to keep it I suggest you leave a neutral and just tell others that items from him will stink. He did offer a refund though so no real need for a negative feedback.

I probably wouldn't leave a negative. But a netural at worst. Since I hate how the feedback system works, if you neg him he will probably do the same to you.

I didn't swear at him, that's the thing!

He left me a positive a few days ago because I paid seconds after the auction ended.

He's getting on my nerves.

How about a link to the item?

If you ask me, you would be crazy for leaving a negative. Many people wouldn't care about the smoke. You happen to and he agreed to give you a refund. What more could he do? The game will stop smelling in a few days.

[quote name='SmellsLikeRandyMossGuy']I didn't swear at him, that's the thing!

He left me a positive a few days ago because I paid seconds after the auction ended.

He's getting on my nerves.[/quote]
He left you a positive feedback already and now he's getting on your nerves and sent you something you are not happy with..... Leave him a negative and tell him to stop being a pest. He can't give you a negative back so the whole tit for tat feedback game is out of the question now.

[quote name='SmellsLikeRandyMossGuy']

You know, I didn't swear at him and since when is DAMN a curse. He's being quite the asshole and abusive to me. I am thinking of reporting him to ebay.

What should I leave him as his neg?
[/QUOTE]

EBay considers it a curse word. I had someone leave me negative feedback saying "The damn game doesn't work" (never contacted me and it was a brand new game). EBay removed it because feedback with cursing can be removed.

I would leave a feedback comment saying, "did not mention item smelled like smoke" or something to that extent. I'm not sure if I would leave a neutral or negative

Damn is a curse by definition. You are cursing someone or something to hell.

Other than that, I hope it all works out for you.

[quote name='SmellsLikeRandyMossGuy']...and since when is DAMN a curse.[/QUOTE]

Dude...seriously. Are you seriously that dumb? "Damn" is the very definition of a curse!

It sounds more like a drama fest than anything. I would simply send it back and get the refund. Not a big deal really.

If he listed it as coming from a smoke free home, then absolutely give him a negative or maybe just a neutral.

Otherwise, since when does "Excellent Condition" pertain to smell? I think you're being a drama queen more than anything.

Personally, I get pieved when I get something that smells like smoke when it's supposed to be mint of excellent condition, so I get what you're feeling, OP. If something stinks of anything, I wouldn't consider it "excellent" condition. Often times, it's a bitch to get the smell out.

I'm not sure if I'd give a negative tho. He did send what he described (mostly), and he offered to give you a refund for returning it. There's not much more he could have done, aside from being more polite. I'd just leave a positive, but mention the item smelled like smoke (and bad attitude if you feel that inclined).

[quote name='yukine']
Otherwise, since when does "Excellent Condition" pertain to smell? I think you're being a drama queen more than anything.[/QUOTE]

Well Said. :applause: :applause: :applause:

The seller does not deserve a neg. He made make two mistakes he left fb first and he asked for fb he is going to learn the hard way.

Would you like it if you got a game that smelled like shit?

Ever think people in the house might be allergic to smoke?

Besides, I'm not stinkin up my room cause someone is too much of a jackass to mention something doesn't come from a smoke free home.

All you smokers can kiss my ass.

I think your making a big deal out of nothing. Leave him positive and be done with it. It's not like he killed a bunch of puppys.

Yeah, reporting him or leaving him a negative would be ridiculous after he offered to give you a refund at his expense. Regardless of how much of a jerk you might perceive him as being, offering that kind of refund is fantastic customer service, and you're better off getting the money back, not leaving him feedback, and enjoying your free +1 feedback. Get the game elsewhere.

The OP and anyone who recommends negging the seller need to get their balls reattached and pump that estrogen out of their system. Over-sensitive FTL. His reply wasn't even remotely abusive and he's even covering the cost of the return.

[quote name='SmellsLikeRandyMossGuy']Would you like it if you got a game that smelled like shit?

Besides, I'm not stinkin up my room cause someone is too much of a jackass to mention something doesn't come from a smoke free home.

All you smokers can kiss my ass.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

I didn't know one manual that smells like smoke can cause a huge ass odor in your room. That shit is pretty much in your mind. Your giving it too much thought. fucking take the refund you retard. Unless you don't want to get a refund since you got the game at a very good price?

[quote name='SmellsLikeRandyMossGuy']Would you like it if you got a game that smelled like shit?

All you smokers can kiss my ass.[/quote]

I just don't make it a habit to smell my games, and really if smelly games is such a big concern of yours, why don't you ask the seller if the game comes from a smoking home beforehand? Really, it's people like you that make selling games on eBay a nightmare.

And sorry, I've never smoked a cigarette in my life and dislike the smell as well. But I'm not going to go on some pissy fit about receiving a smelly game when I didn't even make the effort to ask.

I bought a Sega Saturn game on eBay (Magic Knight Rayearth) and it was in awesome condition, but it smelled of cigarette smoke too. The smell actually ended up going away after a while, so I would just leave a positive and don't let it get to you.

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I hate the smell of smoke and will usually look for auctions that specify smoke free home. If it doesn't specify, I've learned to ask. As for the OP's situation, I would leave a neutral warning others that items will smell like smoke. A negative is not in order since the seller never specified and the buyer never asked. I lost a dispute for an item that didn't work because the auction never specifically said the item worked or anything like that. The auction simply said, you are bidding on "X" game. I assumed it would work, but I was wrong. I lost the dispute because the auction never said it did/didn't work and I didn't ask.

Moral of the story: if it doesn't specify in the auction, ask.

Wow... I guess you need to go to some anger management classes. This is the most I have seen anyone throw a fit for when someone is polite to them and even offers a refund at their cost in my life. I think you should give him a positive for the great customer service and get yourself a refund. You will lose any type of case you bring up on eBay and giving him a negative or even a neutral would make you a complete jerk. Just state in the feedback that he did not mention the game came from a smoking home and that you did not like that, so he offered you a full refund at his cost.

PS: I am allergic to the smell of cigarette/cigar smoke, so I would not be happy getting that either, but you are lucky he has been polite to you and even offered a refund at his cost.

[quote name='IAmTheBiggestInuyashaFan']Wow... I guess you need to go to some anger management classes. This is the most I have seen anyone throw a fit for when someone is polite to them and even offers a refund at their cost in my life. I think you should give him a positive for the great customer service and get yourself a refund. You will lose any type of case you bring up on eBay and giving him a negative or even a neutral would make you a complete jerk. Just state in the feedback that he did not mention the game came from a smoking home and that you did not like that, so he offered you a full refund at his cost.

PS: I am allergic to the smell of cigarette/cigar smoke, so I would not be happy getting that either, but you are lucky he has been polite to you and even offered a refund at his cost.[/QUOTE]

Must suck to be you. Can't go out to the bars or go clubbing. That would blow.

The report of curse words seem a bit meh, but you shouldn't say words you won't usually say in a workplace (in front of a boss or a meeting place unless you want to be fired) to others, you just don't look as good even if you don't consider it to be "bad word". Just my rule of thumb dealing with problems.

I don't think he's being abusive to you or being asshole (maybe for the report) but aside from that he gave you an option of a refund as long as he doesn't give excuses, it's good. Don't take it heart, just return it or air it out.

I always dislike the smell of cigarette so I usually just air it out (clothes, books, bags etc) as weird as that may sound and it usually goes away.

Unless you take a deep breath whenever you open the game it's not going to be that big of a deal. I have a copy of Turok Evolution that smells like a cigarette was put out inside of it. I can't smell it when it's in the system nor can I smell it when it's in the case. Why else it would be out, don't know.

[quote name='SmellsLikeRandyMossGuy']You know, I didn't swear at him and since when is DAMN a curse.[/QUOTE]

Umm, since always. :imwithst:

I can't believe you are even considering a negative. He was very polite and offered to refund it at his own expense. The 2nd post of his was a little odd and would annoy me slightly but I suspect you are leaving something out of your side of the conversation.

Please post a link so that I know to never buy or sell with your eBay account. I'm more of a buyer than a seller but I would hate to get a negative because I used brown tape on the shipping box and you prefer clear, or because I shipped it on the incorrect phase of the moon.

I'd say let it go and move on, dude.

If you put it in a baggy with a fabric softener sheet for a couple days it'll smell like.. a fabric softener sheet. My wife got some books from her dad who smokes, so they reeked of cigarettes. worked like a charm.

All you smokers can kiss my ass.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't like something to smell like smoke. I hate it too. But guess what? If it's such an issue, like a a health hazard, you should have asked him about it.

The guy probably didn't even think about it since his wife smokes and he's just used to the smell, thinking it wouldn't bother most people.

A few years back I bought a stunningly mint copy of Futurama for the PS2 at Gamerush for like $16 (when it was worth $50 or so). Stunningly mint, EXCEPT for the fact that it reeked of smoke, of course. I just took the insert out (which really smelled despite being under plastic) and let it air out with the manual for about a week. I replaced the case with a brand new one from a trade-in. That pretty much took care of it.

But I would be pissed if I bought something off ebay that reeked. In my case, I was aware of it since I checked it out in store and decided it was worth it because of the rarity/price.

My auctions always have the "smoke-free home" disclaimer but I don't see that in too many auctions these days. It is kind of a leftover thing from the early days of ebay (I've been a buyer/seller since 1998) when 99% of people were truly selling odds and ends from home (as opposed to now where many sellers are wholesalers and other businesses selling bulk merchandise).

take the refund, and leave him positive feedback assuming he refunds your money and pays for shipping. Leave something along the lines of: Wasn't happy with product, got full refund, good communication. (he did email you a lot)

The buyer is a retard...the game was delivered in the condition stated in the auction. Just because the seller couldn't read the buyer's mind about the buyer's complete over sensativity to reality that some people might actually smoke in their homes and that this fact has zero to do with a game's condition (I didn't realize there was game manual huffing subculture out there!) he should get a negative?....Grow up! If it that's fucking important to you, you should fucking ask about it

And people wonder why sellers refuse to leave feedback until they get it themselves?....it is because of dumb ass buyers like this.

Well, I wouldn't be that harsh about it. Having a game reek of smoke when you don't smoke is pretty bad. It is not mint at that point, and thus is not described correctly. It isn't a matter of sensitivity unless you are desensitized by being a smoker yourself ;).

However, given that the seller offered a refund, the OP should either take him up on it or leave it alone - and no negative feedback in either case, obviously.

I'm not a smoker, nor have I ever been one....I personally can't stand smoking but I'm not so self important to confuse the functional condition of piece of an impermeable media format as being impaired because of a smell. Now if was talking about something he was going to eat, he might have something to complain about. If he's that uptight about "mintness", he shouldn't be so stupid to be shopping for anything that hasn't been shipped directly from the factory to him, because, my god, someone might leave a fingerprint on a game disk or something truly horrible like some specks of dust might end up in the game case...or that, three years ago, somebody farted in the store where it was sold.

And where was the original description? Unless it said non-smoke environment and not to mention he offered to take it back, you're coming off like Randy Moss, a whining stuck up prima donna who bitches too much. Excellent condition does not equal Mint, Moss.

[quote name='K_G']I'm not a smoker, nor have I ever been one....I personally can't stand smoking but I'm not so self important to confuse the functional condition of piece of an impermeable media format as being impaired because of a smell. Now if was talking about something he was going to eat, he might have something to complain about. If he's that uptight about "mintness", he shouldn't be so stupid to be shopping for anything that hasn't been shipped directly from the factory to him, because, my god, someone might leave a fingerprint on a game disk or something truly horrible like some specks of dust might end up in the game case...or that, three years ago, somebody farted in the store where it was sold.[/quote]

IAWTAC.

Seriously, dude, chill the frig out. Its B.S. like this that makes eBay far more of a hassle than it needs to be. You were rude to the seller, who is going above and beyond with customer service and upholding his end of the bargain. Get over it.

[quote name='ryanbph']take the refund, and leave him positive feedback assuming he refunds your money and pays for shipping. Leave something along the lines of: Wasn't happy with product, got full refund, good communication. (he did email you a lot)[/QUOTE]

I agree with this suggestion. Just get a refund and leave him the positive feedback w/ a note about it being a smoking home. Maybe this will help the seller specify this in future auctions to avoid future issues. Additional information doesn't hurt. At the end of the day, both should take this as a lesson earned.

Also, if you ever have issues, remain calm and be polite because rudeness never helps the situation. Again, another lesson learned.

I hate smoke also but dude get the sand out of your vagina...Can you post your ebay tag so i can avoid selling you products...Cuz when i take a crap i usually bring the game case w/manual for reading...

bread's done
Back