Should I trade in my Xbox 360 for a PS3?

mleach26

CAGiversary!
I have been offered by my brother in law to trade in my xbox 360 for a 40GB PS3. It sounds tempting as my 360 has broken twice (red ring) and most of the games I play are available on both systems. However I am reluctant to trade it in as Xbox Live is MUCH better than PSN, plus the trade in would only get me the console itself and no games, What does everyone think?

I've had two xbox's red ring myself, but luckily I got the best buy replacement plan (the xbox 360 is the only thing i'd say yes to that plan for) and I just take it in and they replaced it.

I even went from a non-hdmi xbox to the later model using this. However I'd still stick with my xbox, especially if you already have a game library built around it.

Basically this is going to turn into a fanboy thread of ps3 vs xbox 360 people.

But it basically boils down to what you prefer. There's a lot of factors, controller choice, online play, and where your friends are are all huge factors.

Thanks for the replies, I have also built up my Xbox Live gamerscore from june 2006 to the present, I would loose this if I went to PS3, and the trophies in the PS3 games don't sound...well too good I guess? I have played Drakes Fortune and Killzone 2 looks really good, but I really wanna keep playing Gear 2 online...oh what a choice, i'll probably end up keeping the 360 I guess

it pretty much comes down to what you want to play thats exclusive. if youve played all the xbox ones and want to play the ps3 ones then do it. you can always buy another xbox cheap later on.

Of course we know Mana Knight would say do it... Anyways, how many games do you own for the 360? Are they cheaply replaced? Do you play on Xbox Live enough to make it worth the money? Of those games you own on the 360, how many do you actually still play?

Honestly I wouldn't since I play with a lot of people on Xbox Live and I really dislike the PSN (my brother has a PS3 and the PSN is poorly done in my opinion). Are you using it for games or movies? Which exclusives do you want to play more? These are all basically stuff you should be able to answer on your own. Like I said, because of how many people I play with on Live, I don't think I would be willing to do it, especially since all my friends that have both play their 360 a ton more. At the same time, you could trade the 360 for the PS3 since it will be cheaper to replace the 360 if you end up wanting one again, but the choice is really yours and asking advice on here usually will not help too much.

[quote name='mleach26']I have been offered by my brother in law to trade in my xbox 360 for a 40GB PS3. It sounds tempting as my 360 has broken twice (red ring) and most of the games I play are available on both systems. However I am reluctant to trade it in as Xbox Live is MUCH better than PSN, plus the trade in would only get me the console itself and no games, What does everyone think?[/quote]

What kind of 360 do you have? Elite? Pro? If it's an Elite, definately don't trade.

LIVE is a fantastic service, PSN SUCKS.

If you play FPS or racing games, the Sixaxis/DS3 sucks compared to the 360 controller.

What about your 360 games? Would you be trading those with the 360 as well?

Honestly it depends just how vested into the 360 you are. I had a 360, a handful of accessories, 15 games and a decent gamerscore but one day literally just decided the whole 360 experience wasn't for me. Thus, my PS3 will be here in 2 days.

Why is your brother willing to trade his PS3? How many 360 games will you be giving up? Which PS3 exclusives do you want to play?

Could you persuade your brother in law to let you keep your 360 HDD? If so, you could make the trade for the 40GB PS3 (which has to still be worth at least $300), then pick up a brand new Arcade 360 for well under $200 from Dell or Circuit City. You'd end up with a more reliable 360 than you had before, plus a PS3, for less than $200 out of pocket.

Hell no!! 360 is far more superior than the PS3. My PS3 is primarily a bluray player!! But if you can swing both then that would be better!! peace

Switch to the PS3, Xbox live isn't anything special. Just a bunch of unnecessary bells and whistles. The PS3's XMB is just as good when it comes to playing with your friends, and of course the PS3 is a superior console in general.

Oh dear looks like I kicked off a PS3 vs 360 war which was not my intention, should have know better! In response to some questions here is my 360 setup

Pro Console (20GB) April 2006 manf. date
2 wireless controllers
5 Retail games ( GTA 4,Gears 2,Tomb Raider:underworld,Dead Space,PGR 3)
5 Arcade Games
I do NOT watch movies on it
Watch some trailers via Xbox Marketplace
Download Demos
Have a charge and play kit
Wired headset
VGA Cable as well as Component

I do a month by month on the Xbox Live as sometimes go away for extended periods.

Thanks for your idea Ryuukishi, I forgot to mention that my brother is a manager at the local trade in shop (I am in the UK btw :) ) so I like your idea but don't know if this would be possible, he has also offered to let me have an HDMI 360 if he gets one in and swap it with mine (at no cost!)

The games are the most important aspect to keep in mind when choosing a console imo. If don't think you would be able to live without Gears of War, then just stick with your 360. If you can think of more (exclusive) games on the PS3 that you want over what the 360 has then go with a PS3. Look at the games coming in the near future too. I know that Microsoft is supposed to announce its lineup later in the year so they "don't under deliver" or something, I'm pretty sure they were hinting at the PS3. My point is that you should look at games first and foremost and make your decision based on that.

[quote name='mleach26']Oh dear looks like I kicked off a PS3 vs 360 war which was not my intention, should have know better! In response to some questions here is my 360 setup[/quote]
It doesn't seem like you're that vested into your 360 setup. That's not a particularly large collection so 'starting over' won't be a huge deal if you get a PS3.

So all it really boils down to is games. Are there 360 exclusives you can't live without? If that's the case then stick with the 360. If not, then get a PS3. We can't make the final decision for you.

[quote name='cochesecochese']It doesn't seem like you're that vested into your 360 setup. That's not a particularly large collection so 'starting over' won't be a huge deal if you get a PS3.

So all it really boils down to is games. Are there 360 exclusives you can't live without? If that's the case then stick with the 360. If not, then get a PS3. We can't make the final decision for you.[/QUOTE]

Thanks cochesecohese, I think you have nailed it! I wasn't looking to get a "final" decision from any of you guys I just wanted some opinions. It's true my xbox 360 setup is not massive, but I do tend to trade in my games once I have completed them. I enjoyed the Halo franchise so Halo 3:ODST would be a game I want to play, and Gears 2 is fun online. So I as said in my last but one post I will probably keep the 360, but maybe get ps3 as well....searching ebay now ;)

[quote name='silent h3ro']The games are the most important aspect to keep in mind when choosing a console imo. If don't think you would be able to live without Gears of War, then just stick with your 360. If you can think of more (exclusive) games on the PS3 that you want over what the 360 has then go with a PS3. Look at the games coming in the near future too. I know that Microsoft is supposed to announce its lineup later in the year so they "don't under deliver" or something, I'm pretty sure they were hinting at the PS3. My point is that you should look at games first and foremost and make your decision based on that.[/QUOTE]

Wise words, it is all about the games, and the ONLY exclusives I would want to play on the PS3 is MGS4 and Drakes Fortune, all the rest and multi-platform, damn if only I could afford both!

[quote name='mleach26']Thanks cochesecohese, I think you have nailed it! I wasn't looking to get a "final" decision from any of you guys I just wanted some opinions. It's true my xbox 360 setup is not massive, but I do tend to trade in my games once I have completed them. I enjoyed the Halo franchise so Halo 3:ODST would be a game I want to play, and Gears 2 is fun online. So I as said in my last but one post I will probably keep the 360, but maybe get ps3 as well....searching ebay now ;)[/quote]
Cool. Glad we could help!

Its just a matter of your preference. You need to look at exclusives on each system and see wich ones you want to go for. 360 has the larger library and seems to be getting most games first while the PS3 has a delay for some reason. Also, you want to know if the extras for a PS3 are worth it over 360 (built in wi-fi, web browser, and blu-ray player). People bash PSN but you get what you pay for and Live blows it out of the water.

Wait wait wait

Your on cheap ass gamer and you pay for live month by month.

Is the 30 dollar live cards popping up at all retailers out of reach. I know your in UK but can't you get them on ebay and ask the seller just for the code.

On topic:

Its a bad deal especially with the highly rumored ps3 price drop looming.

Yes you should if you can get a good deal that is. I shouldn't have bought a Xbox 360, the RRoD episode still haunts me. I'm one of those gamers got the consoles in the messed up order.

Original PS3, Wii, Xbox 360 (20gb), then sold the original PS3 to get the Gunmetal PS3 (bad move), since the Gunmetal PS3 doesn't play PS2 games, i went ahead and got a PS2.

After upgrading the PS3's hdd to 320gb, it's all cool for me.

[quote name='BULL_Ship']Wait wait wait

Your on cheap ass gamer and you pay for live month by month.

Is the 30 dollar live cards popping up at all retailers out of reach. I know your in UK but can't you get them on ebay and ask the seller just for the code.

On topic:

Its a bad deal especially with the highly rumored ps3 price drop looming.[/quote]

He said he's away sometimes, so paying for a year and not using it is wasteful. The monthly cards allow you to activate any month you want, so if you're away, there's no waste. Personally, i use the 48 hours cards, they're free and perfect if you're just in the mood for Gears or something.

[quote name='lolwut?']Not if you like games.

If you want a Blu-Ray player, sure.[/quote]

Ah come on, that argument is so last year. That reminds me Flower will be released tomorrow, something you won't find on the Xbox...

Also, Uncharted is very good, i finished the game four times already. Having trouble with Crushing mode now... Part 2 is coming out in Fall 2009. Oh that also reminds me, KZ2 is in two weeks. Man, after R2 and Gears 2, no more intense action games, KZ2 should do the job nicely.

I have both.

Keep the 360 if you like action, sports games.
Trade for the PS3 if you like RPG games.

If you like both equally, keep the 360.

Also, to anyone who makes it seem like PSN even compares to XBL, it doesn't. So if you are a big online gamer, like me, then you will be better served with the 360.

I own PS3 and XBox 360. I don't even play my 360 anymore. Not that there is a problem with 360 games, but my system has died 4 times (3 RROD 1 DVD Drive). Each time Microsoft has either repaired the unit or sent me a refurb, so no major grudges there. The last time it broke though, was right after I got my PS3. It took over a month for them to get it back to me, and in that time I bought a few multi-platform games for my PS3 and have never looked back.

I still fire up the 360 once in a while for MS exclusives I own, but as more and more games come out multi platform, the less and less I play my Xbox. I haven't bought a new game for it in 4 months now because with their track record, I'm always wondering when it will stop working again. People have said it's all about the games, but what good are the games when you can't play them?

I just completed such a trade, and I've been happy with it. This is primarly due to the fact that all the games that are Xbox exclusive(halo and gears), I've never been a big fan of, while all the games that are playstation exclusive (God of War, Kill Zone, Metal Gear Solid, Socom) Are ones that I've been long time fans of.

I personally feel the PS3 is the better system, but it all comes down to your preferences. For example if you have more friends on one particular system I say thats the one to get. Or if you like one systems' exclusives more then the other.

When it comes to internet it's not that much of a difference. Sure Xbox Live has slightly more to offer, but PSN also does a great job of of fullfilling online needs. I always wonder why people give PSN so much shit for what it's worth.

[quote name='silent h3ro']Pretty ignorant statement there.[/quote]

lolk.

I have both, and I love my PS3, but the 360 is a gaming beast. The multiplatforms usually fair better, the exclusives are balls, and the controller is perfect. It makes me sad when I think that I have to play Killzone on a Dualshock :cry:

I'm a 360 owner and a huge backer of the system, but I would probably trade that 360 due to how old it is. I would think you could trade that ps3 down the road for another 360 if you didn't really like it.

[quote name='help1']I have both.

Keep the 360 if you like action, sports games.
Trade for the 360 if you like RPG games. (fixed)

If you like both equally, keep the 360.

Also, to anyone who makes it seem like PSN even compares to XBL, it doesn't. So if you are a big online gamer, like me, then you will be better served with the 360.[/quote]

Good advice and this is coming from someone who owns a PS3, 360 and a Wii. The 360 gets most of my play time as I prefer the console, controller, games and XBL to what's on the PS3.

The only thing I take issue with is the PS3 sucks for RPG's this gen. Microsoft has cornered that market this gen. Valkyrie Chronicles is the only RPG worth getting on the PS3 atm. I own VC on the PS3 and it's a mighty fine game. Eternal Sonata doesn't count as it came out first on the 360 and it was already a solid game.

if you can afford to do what ive done...have both! :D theyre both great consoles, both have theier own pros and cons, their own exclusives (ps3 has more to come, 360 has had most of theirs), only thing is i get this feeling that my 360 has already seen its 'a' day and its ps3s time to shine now
basically for me:
ps3 = when i want to play by myself/when i dont think 360 will be able to hold the frame rate.
360 = when i want to play with friends / online games

i get equal mileage out of both...i think i might actually prefer the trophy system, it feels more rewarding to get trophies as apossed to points lol

I agree that you should take into account both your preference for games, controllers, and online experience. But you alluded to the issue of system reliability earlier and I think it needs to be taken into greater consideration.

If your system is already out of warranty and breaks again, then you're either going to send it back to Microsoft (for what, $100?) or buy a new system. Some people absolutely love their 360 and have no qualms despite several RROD and other breakdowns.

I will likely become harder for you to switch systems the longer you keep it and the more games you buy. Thus, take a look at the line-up of exclusives coming out this year and next to see which one interests you more.

The 360's hardware issues was one of the primary reasons why I chose the PS3, so while I have no basis for comparison, absolutely love the system with no regrets.

[quote name='Interstella 5555']I always wonder why people give PSN so much shit for what it's worth.[/quote]

That's because the PSN isn't worth shit.

I've never had a problem playing online with my PS3 using the Wi-Fi connection. But downloading demos, updates, patches, anything from Sony/PSN is awful.

[quote name='manthing']That's because the PSN isn't worth shit.

I've never had a problem playing online with my PS3 using the Wi-Fi connection. But downloading demos, updates, patches, anything from Sony/PSN is awful.[/QUOTE]

In what way is the 360 methods for handle such things so much better/more functional than the PSN?

And I find it interesting that you think the PSN is shit when the things you complain about are everything but actually playing games. No doubt that everything combines into a cohesive experience yet to take it that far makes me wonder just how "amazing" is XBL.

[quote name='lolwut?']lolk.

I have both, and I love my PS3, but the 360 is a gaming beast. The multiplatforms usually fair better, the exclusives are balls, and the controller is perfect. It makes me sad when I think that I have to play Killzone on a Dualshock :cry:[/quote]What makes you think you have to use a Dualshock? There are third party controllers for a reason. And what do you mean by multiplatforms faring better? 360/ PS3 multiplats look identical to me imo.

No.

Sell your 360 and buy a SuperGrafx. In fact, your brother-in-law should do the same with his PS3. Then your SuperGrafx and his SuperGrafx can be friends.

[quote name='Ecofreak']

And I find it interesting that you think the PSN is shit when the things you complain about are everything but actually playing games. No doubt that everything combines into a cohesive experience yet to take it that far makes me wonder just how "amazing" is XBL.[/quote]

But it *IS* about playing games when I can't play a game becuase it takes sooo long to download the required updates/patches/whatever THE FIRST TIME I TRY PLAYING IT.

When I got LBP, I couldn't play it for almost an hour while it updated.

:wall:

[quote name='manthing']But it *IS* about playing games when I can't play a game becuase it takes sooo long to download the required updates/patches/whatever THE FIRST TIME I TRY PLAYING IT.

:wall:[/quote]We get it, you hate the PS3. At least say something factual. There should be no difference between the download speeds that you will get on the PSN vs XBL.

[quote name='The Crotch']No.

Sell your 360 and buy a SuperGrafx. In fact, your brother-in-law should do the same with his PS3. Then your SuperGrafx and his SuperGrafx can be friends.[/QUOTE]

FM Towns Marty motherfucker!

OP, do whatever it is you want. People here aren't going to give you good advice. Anyone telling you to buy a 360 over a PS3, or a PS3 over a 360, if you like RPGs? fuckin' *numbskulls*. This generation's best RPG titles are on the DS and PSP (mostly the DS).

Ain't that much of a difference b/w 360 and PS3, IMO. Multiplayers are virtually identical on each (and anyone who tells you otherwise is not to be trusted - there are some differences from time to time, but they're so negligible that it's a waste of your time to even read about), and there are exclusives on each that are quite good. Which one suits the exclusives you want?

[quote name='manthing']But it *IS* about playing games when I can't play a game becuase it takes sooo long to download the required updates/patches/whatever THE FIRST TIME I TRY PLAYING IT.

:wall:[/QUOTE]

So it sounds like you're more disappointed with game developers releasing patches that you need to download rather than PSN itself. Which is understandable -- you buy a game expecting it to be playable as soon as you open it.

Yet to blast the entire PSN because of this seems a bit extreme.

[quote name='silent h3ro']We get it, you hate the PS3. At least say something factual. There should be no difference between the download speeds that you will get on the PSN vs XBL.[/quote]

Hate the PS3?

Why would I OWN a PS3 if I hated it so much?

Why would I buy a dozen games in under 6 weeks if I hated the PSN?

Just becuase shit takes a long time to download, I hate the PS3?

Thanks for letting me know!

[quote name='Ecofreak']So it sounds like you're more disappointed with game developers releasing patches that you need to download rather than PSN itself. Which is understandable -- you buy a game expecting it to be playable as soon as you open it.

Yet to blast the entire PSN because of this seems a bit extreme.[/quote]

No, not really because the online experience isn't just about playing online MP games.

PSN stinks. You get what you pay for.

:wall:[/quote]

maybe your internet sucks. theres alot of ps3 hate goin on. lets all just drp that crap and focus on he real question. is it worth trading an xbox for a ps3.

[quote name='lokizz']maybe your internet sucks. theres alot of ps3 hate goin on. lets all just drp that crap and focus on he real question. is it worth trading an xbox for a ps3.[/quote]

Not the internet, trust me.

But to the question at hand, it's worth trading a refurbed 360 for a PS3.

[quote name='silent h3ro']What makes you think you have to use a Dualshock? There are third party controllers for a reason. And what do you mean by multiplatforms faring better? 360/ PS3 multiplats look identical to me imo.[/quote]

Do they make a third party controller that doesn't have the analog sticks placed in an akward, retarded position right next to each other? If so, please link me.

And generally speaking, the multiplatform titles have been better on the 360 in terms of looks and fluidity. Granted, the PS3 has since "caught up," but I doubt I will ever pick up a multiplatform on the PS3 unless there is a large difference in price.

Achievements are a plus as well

bread's done
Back