Should I?

FatBat

CAG Veteran
I already own a Xbox and Gamecube, should I buy a PS2, or just wait for the Next Gen consoles to come out?

I would wait a bit. I think in 3 months the price of current gen consoles will go down a bit and it will be the perfect time to buy one. I think next gen consoles are over priced. I will wait till I can afford them. For now take advantage of the prices of current gen stuff and wait a while for next gen.

Yes, go buy it. You are missing out on a ton of awesome games, and who knows when the PS3 comes out. There are rumors the US release date might not be until 2007.

Wait till the beginning of next year for a potential price drop. If not, buy it unless you have the rumored $300+ for a PS3.

I'd say it depends on your backlog of games and genre interest. I had prepaid for an Xbox 360 during the summer, but as the launch lineup became clearer, I lost my enthusiasm for it (I'm sure by next Christmas there will be plenty of good games).

Long story short, I cancelled by pre-order and got a slimline PS2 with Katamari Damacy, Capcom Classics and Ratchet & Clank: UYA. This was the best videogaming decision I ever made - all three games rock and since then I've gotten Ratchet & Clank: GC and Dragon Quest VIII. PS2 seems to be the only system to have several AAA titles coming out in the first half of next year (Okami, Kingdom Hearts 2, Final Fantasy XII, etc). I say go for it now - there's just a ton of great games to play.

Do you have the money to spend on a new console ($300 or more each), plus the new games?

If not, then yes, I'd recommend a PS2 and some older, cheaper games. The PS2 (and PS1) has a HUGE ass library to keep you happy for awhile. I can't afford a new-gen system so I'm sticking with my PS2 for awhile, I'll just be happy to pick up games cheaply.

[quote name='Puffa469']wait and get a PS3 next year. its backwards compatible with PS1 and PS2.[/QUOTE]

The newer models of PS2 are already getting kind of shaky with the compatibility. I'm sure the PS3 will be much less compatible since it will be done in software instead of hardware. I would not rely on the PS3 for enjoyment of older games.

Thanks for your input guys, however which PS2 model should I buy, I heard the newer (Slimline) models have heating problems, and don't have support for the PS2 harddrive.

Oh, and is it possible to save game files on the PS2 harddrive, in the same matter as the Xbox?

bread's done
Back