Should stem cell research be banned?

Dreadnought10

CAG Veteran
There has been much debate on whether or not stem cell research should be made permanently illegal. In other words, stem cell research would never exist in America. I believe it shouldn't be, because it opens the door for research, including research towards finding a cure for several diseases. In fact, I read an article the other day in which a man was cured of HIV thanks to stem cell research, I don't have a link to the article though. What are your thoughts on stem cell research?

Why should he be banned because he wants to discuss a controversial political topic in the vs forum? Thats stupid ramstoria, don't be rude.

I don't think it should be. I don't even know what the issue is? I guess there is a "It's a step towards cloning humans" argument.

I really don't know why it is even controversial.

It's probably only deemed 'controversial' and trying to be pushed towards a total ban due to the pharmaceutical industry.

Think about it. If someone could use stem cells to cure (insert disease that makes billions for the pharm industry), then where would those companies be? Out of business, that's where.

There's no money in a cure for diseases and that's what these companies want to stop.

[quote name='Pittpizza2']Why should he be banned because he wants to discuss a controversial political topic in the vs forum? Thats stupid ramstoria, don't be rude.[/QUOTE]
Dread is not a... particularly popular character of late. He's been starting a rather large number of "debate" threads in Vs and Off-Topic, often with half-assed opening arguments on topics of little interest to most (see: school uniform thread).

I can't exactly blame someone for wanting to fly a prism over Dread's base, unload a couple sentries to forcefield the ramp, then snipe all his tech structures with a DT warp in.

On the topic at hand, though - well, no. Durr.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']It's probably only deemed 'controversial' and trying to be pushed towards a total ban due to the pharmaceutical industry.

Think about it. If someone could use stem cells to cure (insert disease that makes billions for the pharm industry), then where would those companies be? Out of business, that's where.

There's no money in a cure for diseases and that's what these companies want to stop.[/QUOTE]

I always feel sorry that people think like this.

Cinder I agree it does seem somwhat conscpiracy theorist, HOWEVER:

My dad ran a couple of car dealerships in South FLA for about 30 years. In that time he learned that tire companies have the ability to make tires that would last ten times as long. Literally like 500,000 miles. They would only be moderatly more expensive. But we aren't driving on those tires today. Guess why NOT?

Yet another example is GM's EVO, a 100% electric car that came out in 1990 that lasted a LONG time and didn't use gas. They discontinued it. Better for the earth and people, bad for shareholder's profits.

Also, it was more profitable for car companies to keep safety restraing systems out of cars. But then gov't demanded they put them in.

The point: You can rely on private coorporations to look out for peoples' best interests and thier health and well-being; but you CAN rely on them to look out for shareholders' profits, EVERY TIME.

People's health is not something that should be made a profit off of. So there might actually be some weight behind what Iamthecheapestgamers contention. Still it does seem far-fetched.

Don't feel sorry for people like him, feel sorry for the people who don't think enough. Gov't, big pharma, or anybody else after your dollar is not to be trusted blindly.

I used to think you had to kill infants to study stem cells. I think I recall protesters holding the same signs as abortion protesters. Still my wife and I donated our daughter's cord blood (the stuff they need to study stem cells) so I now know it's not true.

bread's done
Back