Shredded Wheat for better than $6/600 g?

RoganSarine

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Does anyone know where to buy shredded wheat cereal in canada that isn't doused in sugars? I just want some straight up plain shredded wheat cereal (bland, I know), but I can't find ANY!

They best I have found is a small box at the superstore (600g) for $6 which... seems kinda pricey considering what Im buying.

Last edited by a moderator:
I should try no frills, but yeah... I know post makes it among some others... but I can't friggin find any in stores -- it's dumb.

We have like 2 No Frills in BC, and luckily, I live next to one. But for the most part, we don't have many grocery stores to choose from:

Superstore, save-on, safeway... the big staples is pretty much all we got here.

IT's apparently not hard in Ontario... but daaaaaamn, such trouble in here.

Like half the stores you've mentioned I've never even heard of.

[quote name='kn00tcn']haha... so why shredded wheat? how about some muslix or etc[/QUOTE]
I don't want the added sugar. I just want straight up grain.

Have you tried alternatives like Shreddies or All Bran?
post_shreddies.jpg
allbran.jpg

Both are pure grain and tastes like chalk, so it should be right up your alley.
:p
And they're found everywhere, unlike plain Shredded Wheat as your report states.

Other than that, the last time I saw pure Shredded wheat with no frosting is years ago in the US.

That stuff is actually sweetened with sugar. Shreddies tastes a lot better than what I want, trust me on that :p

For anyone curious, I've upped my workout routine from staying fit to getting chiseled, so I don't need the stupid extra sugar since I prefer using my own alternatives to sweeten things.

hey, it exists in numbers in the states which is why I'm so curious as to why you don't see something that isn't artificially sweetened here.

does it need to be wheat based with no sugar (or is that the only type of no sugar cereal out there?)

Superstore.

It seems that I stock 2 boxes a week of that stuff!
If they don't have any ask if they can get some in, at our store thats usually what everyone does.

I'm in the same boat. Currently finishing off the last box of Kelloggs Raisin Bran. I'll be purchasing General Mills Fiber One next time. I'm not going for chiseled, at least not yet. But I'm 5'7" and started at 172 lbs. I'm down to 168 now, having changed my diet and exercising more. Tracking my diet and exercise as best I can, as well as counting those calories.

[quote name='kdnewton']I'm in the same boat. Currently finishing off the last box of Kelloggs Raisin Bran. I'll be purchasing General Mills Fiber One next time. I'm not going for chiseled, at least not yet. But I'm 5'7" and started at 172 lbs. I'm down to 168 now, having changed my diet and exercising more. Tracking my diet and exercise as best I can, as well as counting those calories.[/QUOTE]

I don't really bother counting calories. It's got to the point where I can just look at something and ballpark pretty accurately how many calories are in it. If you exercise, I find that counting calories is pretty useless because running for a half our will burn 500 calories.

But yeah... WHY IS IT SO HARD?

Fibre One though looks pretty decent -- just gotta find it. Not really digging the Aspartame (I enjoy using my own stevia if I have to sweeten things since it's a natural sweetener), but it looks like the best I can do.

[quote name='RoganSarine']You can request stuff at superstore? How?![/QUOTE]

Just ask someone if they can order what you're looking for. Try to find a manger, rather then walking up to a random clerk, or phone during the day and ask for a grocery manager.

Also, have you tried Muffets?

No I havn't.

I managed to find some Post shredded wheat today... But is seriously $6.00 for 600g the best I can get? I want a jumbo box that is a decent price ffs!

Honestly if you're looking for somthing healthy with no sugar buy oatmeal, it's cheaper per gram than cereal and you can even use it for baking.

but to answer your question my local safeway (in Sidney BC) has lots of the regular shredded wheat and have constant sales on cereal (like buy 3 for 9 bucks or something) but outside of a sale, it's best to just buy oatmeal imo

All bran flakes has 4g of sugar per cup but you can buy a jumbo box (1.1 KG) for maybe 8 bucks (off the top of my head)

[quote name='Lithiumpowered']Honestly if you're looking for somthing healthy with no sugar buy oatmeal, it's cheaper per gram than cereal and you can even use it for baking.

but to answer your question my local safeway (in Sidney BC) has lots of the regular shredded wheat and have constant sales on cereal (like buy 3 for 9 bucks or something) but outside of a sale, it's best to just buy oatmeal imo

All bran flakes has 4g of sugar per cup but you can buy a jumbo box (1.1 KG) for maybe 8 bucks (off the top of my head)[/QUOTE]
Yeah, all bran is generally what I buy right now. I have oatmeal quite frequently, but sometimes, cereal is just quicker.

[quote name='RoganSarine']They best I have found is a small box at the superstore (600g) for $6 which... seems kinda pricey considering what Im buying.[/QUOTE]

Check the price every time you wander into RCSS. They move prices around like mad (I'm sure I've seen daily changes) to trick customers into buying something overpriced. I glanced at the 600g Shredded Wheat while I was just there and it was like $4.25. Still overpriced IMO. But I've seen them drop random "expensive" cereals down as cheap as 50¢ per 100g plenty of times.

I'm no cereal expert, but isn't 600g for $4.25 amazing? When I bought the PC cereal at Zehr's it was like $3.49 for 400g I believe, and it wasn't even name-brand!

Sorry to divert, but whatever happened to Cookie Crisp? I always wanted it as a kid, and now that I'm old enough to buy my own damn cereal, it's gone!

[quote name='game_fanatic']I'm no cereal expert, but isn't 600g for $4.25 amazing? When I bought the PC cereal at Zehr's it was like $3.49 for 400g I believe, and it wasn't even name-brand![/QUOTE]

Nah, that's not really great. While I was there I picked up a 800g box of Mini Wheats for $4.99. That hardly special, Mini Wheats routinely passes the 50¢ per 100g threshold (I've gotten those 800g boxes for $3.50 plenty of times). And it's basically the same stuff as Shredded Wheat.

[quote name='ragnar14']Nah, that's not really great. While I was there I picked up a 800g box of Mini Wheats for $4.99. That hardly special, Mini Wheats routinely passes the 50¢ per 100g threshold (I've gotten those 800g boxes for $3.50 plenty of times). And it's basically the same stuff as Shredded Wheat.[/QUOTE]
That's what infuriates me... mini-wheats have more crap on them than just the wheat and they are routinely half the price :drool:

It's actually not that bad at all -- you just got to ACTUALLY know how to eat healthy imo. I've been doing it for over a year now and havn't changed my grocery bill amount at all (actually, i think it went down).

I see a lot of people trying to eat healthy not being smart in what they buy -- basically, they'll buy what is labelled as healthy or looks healthy, but there's something a quarter the price down the shelf that is usually even better.

I just don't understand how less costs more in this case! I want the most basic-est cereal ever created!

Checked it out a bit, my Walmart stocks it for $3 a box. I think it was 600g. Walmart is another store you can request they stock it. Talk to the manager ect. A lot of grocery stores managers are open to you requesting items.

[quote name='Princess Zelda']Checked it out a bit, my Walmart stocks it for $3 a box. I think it was 600g. Walmart is another store you can request they stock it. Talk to the manager ect. A lot of grocery stores managers are open to you requesting items.[/QUOTE]
$3/600g? Daaaaaayum that's a good deal... time to go see if I can scour my walmart. :D

bread's done
Back