Sid Meiers Civilization IV: The Complete Edition PC 50% off at Amazon ($19.99)

You are FREAKING KIDDING ME! I *JUST* bought this on the 11th for $40! :lol:

Well, fantastic find jinxpalm, and obviously well worth jumping on!

EDIT: Oh yeah, good point enforcer-this is DRM free, says so right on the box! Awesome deal. I just can't believe I FINALLY pull the trigger on it after like months of thinking about it, and then 3 days later they offer it for half price :lol:

[quote name='TimTucker']Now for the debate -- do I pull the trigger on this, or do I wait for Civ V?[/QUOTE]

Get this. We don't know if 5 will be better or worse, and regardless 5 has activation so you can't even buy it.

[quote name='kiribee']Might as well wait.
You can get them on ebay for $10 or under.
Goodwill has em for $5.[/QUOTE]

Even if they do, who wants used, and at that, quite possibly someone who's trying to rip off the publisher?

Steam had this for $10 awhile back, so I picked it up having never played a strategy game in my life.

Hoooooooly christ this game is good. It is far, far deeper than I fathomed.

Also, keep in mind the metacritic score for this game is 94. It is universally revered as one of the most polished and finely-tuned strategy games ever made, far exceeding its predecessors. You can't go wrong with this version of Civ, even if V is coming out soon.

[quote name='supershammy']Steam had this for $10 awhile back, so I picked it up having never played a strategy game in my life.

Hoooooooly christ this game is good. It is far, far deeper than I fathomed.

Also, keep in mind the metacritic score for this game is 94. It is universally revered as one of the most polished and finely-tuned strategy games ever made, far exceeding its predecessors. You can't go wrong with this version of Civ, even if V is coming out soon.[/QUOTE]

I also picked it up for $10 during the Steam sale. I actually already owned the original, but I figured it was still worth $10 for the expansions.

I had never been able to wrap my mind around it (too used to Age of Empires-type RTS), so I hadn't gotten into it before. I resolved to RTFM and learn what I could, and I'm having a lot of fun with it. I've put nearly 100 hours into it in the 7 weeks since I bought it.

Now I just need to get good enough to be able to win on anything tougher than Chieftain. :oops:

[quote name='Sammich']
Now I just need to get good enough to be able to win on anything tougher than Chieftain. :oops:[/QUOTE]

Yeah dude, I have played for maybe 10 hours on Chieftain and had to forfeit my first game. Now I'm on my second and I'm 600 points behind the fuckin Ethiopians. This game is hard, but remains very rewarding (even when you are losing badly).

I have been thinking about getting a strategy game (and have been on the fence). This is really making me consider purchasing it! Thanks OP and everyone who gave input on this.

Last night I was surrounding Rome and was about to invade, but the apostolic elections resulted in my declaration of war being cancelled. I decided to oppose the vote and declare war again (which really pissed off my people) but then I realized it was 4:30AM and I should go to bed.

I never thought I would like a strategy game in my life, and here I am flat-out addicted to one. Buy this game.

[quote name='supershammy']Last night I was surrounding Rome and was about to invade, but the apostolic elections resulted in my declaration of war being cancelled. I decided to oppose the vote and declare war again (which really pissed off my people) but then I realized it was 4:30AM and I should go to bed.

I never thought I would like a strategy game in my life, and here I am flat-out addicted to one. Buy this game.[/QUOTE]

:lol: I love your description here. So matter of fact. You know, last night I was surrounding Rome and preparing to invade, but then the phone rang :lol: Can't wait to try this...in 50 years when I reach that point in my backlog :lol: Currently on my shelf...

[quote name='supershammy']Last night I was surrounding Rome and was about to invade, but the apostolic elections resulted in my declaration of war being cancelled. I decided to oppose the vote and declare war again (which really pissed off my people) but then I realized it was 4:30AM and I should go to bed.

I never thought I would like a strategy game in my life, and here I am flat-out addicted to one. Buy this game.[/QUOTE]I usually spend the majority of my games with war declared against someone (even if it wasn't *my* declaration of war). That said, Hereditary rule is always good for keeping your peeps happy in any war mongering nation. Add a troop (even a crap one at low hammer cost) to add an instant happiness. I heart that civic so much

[quote name='Wolfpup']Get this. We don't know if 5 will be better or worse, and regardless 5 has activation so you can't even buy it.

Even if they do, who wants used, and at that, quite possibly someone who's trying to rip off the publisher?[/QUOTE]

They should be new/sealed for $10. They were clearanced out at Target for 5 bucks when they went to Goodwill stores.

[quote name='TimTucker']Now for the debate -- do I pull the trigger on this, or do I wait for Civ V?[/QUOTE]

I'd pull the trigger and then wait and see on the Civ 5 reviews. While a lot of the concepts stay similar from game to game in the series, there are usually many changes or improvements that can make individual games better or worse. Often whether you think a particular installment is better or worse depends on your particular play style.

In my case, I really liked Civ 2 and 4, but thought vanilla Civ 3 was a disappointment. Supposedly, the Civ 3 expansions addressed some of the stuff I didn't like about vanilla Civ 3, but I never went back and bought them to check it out. I finally picked up Civ 3 complete for $3 during a steam sale thinking I'd use it as a laptop game, but then I discovered my laptop would run Civ 4 so I never tried 3.

I'm hopeful for Civ 5, but the publishers have spent a lot of face time talking about the revamped combat and all the "streamlining" they've done so I'm concerned that is the focus of this installment (which is not my cup of tea).

bread's done
Back