*Sigh* I bolded and capitalized, "I WILL ONLY SHIP TO A CONFIRMED ADDRESS."

Kendro

CAGiversary!
Feedback
64 (100%)
I'm reluctant to ask here because I can tell this question has probably been asked a million times. I've already tried the search function and looked through the stickied topics above.

Like the title states, I bolded and capitalized that I WILL ONLY SHIP TO A CONFIRMED ADDRESS. Not only that, in my entire listing details, that was pretty much the only sentence I bolded and capitalized for that extra "oomph." But does he catch it? NO! He only has 3 feedback (registered March 2005). My auction sold for $15.50 so if I shipped to an unconfirmed address, it isn't like I will lose a lot of money if he attempts a chargeback. But the reason I am asking for advice is for future reference. I wrote him a polite email basically asking him to get his address confirmed. I was wondering if you can give insight on the following (please note that he already sent me payment):

1) Should I refund his payment immediately or should I just wait for him to get his address confirmed?

2) Suppose he goes through the confirmation but leaves me negative feedback like, "Seller was a pain in the ass and made me jump through hoola hoops to get my item." Obviously I am not in the wrong. Is there any protectin for this as far as asking eBay to remove the feedback? Or is simply responding to the feedback all that you can do?

3) If he states that he didn't know what confirmed address meant and he wants to "forget the auction," do I leave him a negative feedback for wasting my time and being a dumbass? Or do you leave a neutral? Or do you just forget it?

This is what I wrote to him:

Thank you for your prompt payment. As stated in the details of my auction in bold print, I will only ship to a PayPal confirmed address. Confirmed addresses protect not only the seller, but the buyer as well. Please take the appropriate actions via PayPal to amend the above stated conflict.

As stated in my auction, your game will be shipped the following business day (Monday) via the US Postal Service. A delay in shipment will occur until the above mentioned is corrected.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. Thanks again!

That sounds like a reasonable email you sent him.

As far as ebay's "laws" about feedback and all that, I can't comment because I don't know.

All I can say is that, if it's an unremarkable item you're selling, and the guy only has 3 feedback beginning in March 2005, it might be an honest mistake. It's obvious he's probably not a scammer if the item you're selling isn't anything special. He probably just isn't up to date with how things are done on ebay (which you might consider his problem, it's up to you).

Me? I'm both a nice guy, and one that wants to sell my item without paying double the listing fees. So I send him a nice email (as you did), and wait for him to fix it. If he's a reasonable person he'll do what you asked him, he might not be sure what "confirmed address" means though or something weird like that... there are people in this world that aren't comfortable with all this e-commerce stuff. But again, you might consider that to be his problem and tell him to shove it up his ass for not knowing the rules first.

If it turns out he wants to forget the auction (either because he's a scammer, or he isn't familiar with the concept of getting his address confirmed), I'd just forget leaving feedback too... there's not really any benefit to leave feedback, since it might have been an honest mistake. Unless of course he gives you reason to believe he is a scammer... then roast him :)

Sorry if I'm not of much help, I'm not quite an ebay pro yet myself.

I had this problem a few weeks ago. Not much you can do. But you're going to have to refund the payment anyway, even if you do give him time to confirm his address. The status won't change on the existing payment, so they'll have to send payment again with the newly-confirmed address anyway. That is if you choose to give them a chance.
I didn't have the patience and just refunded the money and emailed them telling them the reason. After 7 days you can file an unpaid item dispute with eBay. If you want it to just be done and over with, just file it as a mutual agreement to back out and as the reason, select the option for bidder does not have a confirmed address. They will then get a notice from eBay. If they accept the mutual agreement to back out, they get off clean and you get your final value fee back.
I'm not sure if anything has changed since the last time I recieved a negative feedback from a retarded bidder, but back then, eBay didn't do a thing about it. All you can do is respond to it.

You can go to your paypal account and enable an option to "accept payment from confirmed addresses only" or something like that (forgot where exactly...if you have trouble finding it, let me know).

Of course, stupid paypal defaults this to "off". I was having the same problems the OP was until I poked around in the settings area and finally figured out you could do this.

I haven't had any problems with regard to this since...Hope this helps!

[quote name='subhumanx1']I had this problem a few weeks ago. Not much you can do. But you're going to have to refund the payment anyway, even if you do give him time to confirm his address. The status won't change on the existing payment, so they'll have to send payment again with the newly-confirmed address anyway. That is if you choose to give them a chance.
I didn't have the patience and just refunded the money and emailed them telling them the reason. After 7 days you can file an unpaid item dispute with eBay. If you want it to just be done and over with, just file it as a mutual agreement to back out and as the reason, select the option for bidder does not have a confirmed address. They will then get a notice from eBay. If they accept the mutual agreement to back out, they get off clean and you get your final value fee back.
I'm not sure if anything has changed since the last time I recieved a negative feedback from a retarded bidder, but back then, eBay didn't do a thing about it. All you can do is respond to it.[/QUOTE]

If the seller initiates a mutual withdrawal from the transaction, and the buyer doesn't agree to the mutual withdrawal, then the seller doesn't get his fees back.

Thanks for the help fellas. He's a God-fearing man so hopefully he will not be giving me problems.

Please give me a chance to fix the problem before putting the item back up for auction. I'll fix it when I return from church this morning.

I ship to both confirmed and un-confirmed.
Never had a problem as long as the DC shows delivered.
(Maybe I was just lucky?)

[quote name='fred_h_haddad']I ship to both confirmed and un-confirmed.
Never had a problem as long as the DC shows delivered.
(Maybe I was just lucky?)[/QUOTE]

You might want to rethink shipping to unconfirmed (if you use paypal).

Regardless if you use DC, if someone does a chargeback and their address is unconfirmed, you AUTOMATICALLY lose the dispute.

[quote name='toper']Regardless if you use DC, if someone does a chargeback and their address is unconfirmed, you AUTOMATICALLY lose the dispute.[/quote]

Even if I use the address Printed on Paypal's receipt?

[quote name='fred_h_haddad']Even if I use the address Printed on Paypal's receipt?[/QUOTE]

If it's unconfirmed, yes.

I recently had a buyer curse, threaten, and use racial slurs thinking I was Asian (I'm not for the record) as he couldn't get the concept of a confirmed address through his head. He was the biggest douche I've run into after 8 years of buying/selling on Ebay.

i understand why putting this for people with lower feedback... however, say if I bid on your auction and won and I didnt have a confirmed adress (which I dont) would you still ship to me since I have almost 200 feedback?

Id suggest putting email me if you have less than 5 feedback and would like to bid on my item, than ask if the person has a confirmed adress or not. For me I had no idea what that even meant until now.

bread's done
Back