sigh.........i got ripped on shipping on ebay.

Porject D

CAGiversary!
Feedback
159 (100%)
I brought six Neo Geo Cd games on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8198514388&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEAFB:IT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8198513479&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEAFB:IT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8198512670&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEAFB:IT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8198512448&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEAFB:IT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8198506726&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEAFB:IT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8198505186&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEAFB:IT&rd=1

Total for the games before shipping = $42.07

I usually dont ask the seller before i won the item but this *^@%# seller didnt give me any combine shipping for them.

The Total cost for shipping = $29.70

I asked him if i can get any combine shipping and he gave me some BS about shipping and handling charge + box for the games + gas to post office.

But i knew all those are BS because i buy and sell from ebay all the time and i know how much does it costs to ship something.

I received the package today and this is how much i think it costed him.
$3.79 for Priority mail
Box = free used box from some game store
But he at least sealed the games in separate bubble envelopes.
6 envelopes about 6 dollars at most.
Total cost him including gas = 10-12 dollars

Just wanna kick his @SS for it.

If all of your stuff comes in the condition described, leave him a positive with the text: "Wouldn't combine shipping, seller had poor attitude".

This way you're not hurting his score, but you're tipping future buyers off.

Yea, i am thinking of doing that.
The extra 20 dollars is enough to cover him for ebay and paypal fees too. :bomb:
But i didnt want to negative him since the games are in good condition.

[quote name='Porject D']Yea, i am thinking of doing that.
The extra 20 dollars is enough to cover him for ebay and paypal fees too. :bomb:
But i didnt want to negative him since the games are in good condition.[/QUOTE]

aparently you need to sell more. Doesn't it feel great to have your fees covered and make a very little amount of profit?

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']aparently you need to sell more. Doesn't it feel great to have your fees covered and make a very little amount of profit?[/QUOTE]
I'd bet it feels great to steal from old ladies' pocketbooks too. It's much easier and more profitable, and only slightly less honest!

I had similar results almost every time I bought something from ebay. Someone charged me like $30 to ship a TG-16 which I had won for $25. I knew it wouldn't cost that much, since I opted for USPS parcel post, but the guy wouldn't budge and insisted on the $30. When I got it, the USPS sticker read $12, and he used an old beat up box and newspaper to package it. For what I got, $55 shipped was still a good deal, but it agrivates me a bit.

That shipping cost sucked and he shoulda/coulda combined, but look at it this way; You paid $70 for 6 games that are pretty rare, and would've sold at game stores for at least $20 each. So take this as a bitter pill and enjoy those great games that virtually NO ONE else will ever have the opportunity to play.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Next time ask first, especially when the seller has under 20 feedback.[/QUOTE]

This reminds me of something that had happened to me on eBay.

I had asked a (new) seller if she would combine shipping charges if I was the high bidder of several of her auctions. She replied saying that she would. I end up winning 4 of her auctions. She then sent me an invoice charging me the full shipping charge for every auction. I e-mailed her asking about the combined shipping she promised. She replied telling me that I was trying to get the items at her expense and that she's going to cancel my bid and relist the items. I then told her that I wasn't out to do that and I would still like to buy the items. She never replied, but did leave me neutral feedback saying I refused to pay.

In a recent issue of wired they stated that after ebay raised rates 7,000 stores closed.

This has nothing to do with the OP but I just found that interesting.

[quote name='Jack']This reminds me of something that had happened to me on eBay.

I had asked a (new) seller if she would combine shipping charges if I was the high bidder of several of her auctions. She replied saying that she would. I end up winning 4 of her auctions. She then sent me an invoice charging me the full shipping charge for every auction. I e-mailed her asking about the combined shipping she promised. She replied telling me that I was trying to get the items at her expense and that she's going to cancel my bid and relist the items. I then told her that I wasn't out to do that and I would still like to buy the items. She never replied, but did leave me neutral feedback saying I refused to pay.[/QUOTE]

Now that sucks and it's the reason I try to get a total shipping cost quote for the auctions before hand, that way you have something to file with ebay.

Well, if it cost $12 for the shipping and handling, you can also add 1-2 dollars for ebay and paypal fees (if he selects the picture to show up in searches, which is 35 cents extra, I always do), so he actually probably paid around 20 total. Besides, as a seller myself I pay for the fees essentially since the 4 bucks per game/guide shipping usually (but not always) covers mailer, shipping cost and gas. Making a few bucks off one guy doesn't make up for the fees I had to pay for all the other items sold, it doesn't sound good but, due to that, I really wouldn't care about overcharging a few bucks. Though if you disagree with the posted terms, or don't ask for clarification, you shouldn't be too upset when the seller sticks with them.

You should have asked for clarification. I wouldn't have paid in that situation, but I would have asked first.

But, definitely leave a note in his feedback about refusing to combine shipping. I'd leave a neutral.

If he shipped all the games in 1 box, YES he ripped you off intentionally.
Since he would not combine shipping costs for you, he should have shipped each game in its own package. I would at least give him a couple negs and list what he did in all feedback given. OR you may want to contact the seller and explain to him that you paid for shipping on each item and you only got 1 package, that is combining shipping, if he can combine the items into 1 box then why could the cost not be combined and ask for a fair portion to be refunded. I would also explain that feedback will reflect his actions...

wait for him to give you positive first, if he doesnt leave anything, wait the 89 or whatever days. I had an infamous guy who wouldnt pay, and gave a jerk excuse of why he didnt want to pay. So i set a reminder on my calender and when the time came took away his 100%.

I agree the guy is being a bit greedy, but he did absolutely nothing wrong. There's nothing in the auction that states that he will combine shipping. If you're going to bid on multiple items from a single seller, contact them about shipping rates. You can't just take it for granted. Just about every mail-order company in existence overcharges for shipping.

I had a guy try to charge me $50 to ship 10 comics I won for 50 cents each. He lived about a 3 hr drive from me so I asked if he was going to hand deliver them for that cost. He gave a BS excuse that he listed them to make money and not lose it and then gave me a break down of what he believed were his costs to come up with that total. In his costs, shipping was like $7 of the total so I emailed ebay about it. I had to fight with him and ebay for a while and eventually I got fed up since each time ebay would respond, it would be a new person so it was like starting all over again after each email. I took the non-paying bidder mark against me since it was only from one person and did not matter how many items it was and was glad to be done with the whole thing.

I now make sure to ask before hand if they will combine shipping and handling and get a quote to my zipcode for the amount of items I am interested in but you still will occassionally get burned.

When will people learn to take 2 minutes to email the seller? It sucks that he did that, yes, but hopefully you learned a lesson. If you are buying multiple items, find out the seller's policy on shipping before bidding. If the item description isn't perfectly clear to you, get clarification. Whatever the deal is, ease the doubt in your mind by getting more info. And if you are not happy with what they say, move on. Once you place that winning bind, you are bound to the seller's terms.

You should have asked if he would combine shipping prior to bidding on the items. I always ask about combined shipping as many sellers will not do it. Leaving him a negative is bullshit in my opinion. The items came as described and there was no mention of the ability to combine shipping in the auction description and the question was not posed prior to the end of the auction. Therefore, the auction went as planned with no real problems.

It is ass that he would not combine shipping and he should have stated he would not in his auction (yeah, right....like they'll ever do that), but it is your responsibility to make sure you are comfortable with the arrangement before buying that many items. If anything, I'd leave him a neutral, but I think a positive with a note about the shipping is the best option.

[quote name='Owen']I had a guy try to charge me $50 to ship 10 comics I won for 50 cents each. He lived about a 3 hr drive from me so I asked if he was going to hand deliver them for that cost. He gave a BS excuse that he listed them to make money and not lose it and then gave me a break down of what he believed were his costs to come up with that total. In his costs, shipping was like $7 of the total so I emailed ebay about it. I had to fight with him and ebay for a while and eventually I got fed up since each time ebay would respond, it would be a new person so it was like starting all over again after each email. I took the non-paying bidder mark against me since it was only from one person and did not matter how many items it was and was glad to be done with the whole thing.

I now make sure to ask before hand if they will combine shipping and handling and get a quote to my zipcode for the amount of items I am interested in but you still will occassionally get burned.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that's what everyone who lists on eBay is trying to do. :lol:
EBay should have sided w/ you if someone is trying to charge $50 to ship 10 comics, that's seems like obvious fee evasion. In this case and in the case of others businesses, sometimes money is and should be lost. You can't write a little note on your bills saying "I'm trying to make money, not lose it, so I can't pay this month". I've dealt with sellers who actually tryed to charge much more shipping than was listed or that have tried to say insurance was required when it was not stated in the auction(and tried to overchage there too), all in an attempt to make money they didn't deserve. If a seller doesn't want to lose money they should plan their auctions better, with a starting price that they can live with and a reserve if necessary.

[quote name='Porject D']The Total cost for shipping = $29.70[/QUOTE]I usually don't combine shipping either. That's why you need to ask, rather than assume. BUT, if someone buys 6 games from me, I'm *definitely* going to give them a discount..... probably $10. No point in being greedy.

Even if you include fees, it doesn't come to $30.
$1.50 listing fee = 25 cents * 6 items
$1.00 = paypal
$6.00 = $1 * 6 bubble envelopes
$4.00 = priority mail
==================
$12.50 total

POSITIVE NOTE:

You get to leave him 6 negatives, complaining that he charged $30 for shipping..... when the true cost was only ~$6.00. He hurt your wallet. Now you hurt his sales.

:whistle2:D

troy

why are you complaining? OP this was your fault, ask first next time if he will combine on shipping.

if he doesnt say that he will, you can assume he wont. By making a bid you are agreeing to the terms of the auction, and agre to pay the shipping costs as listed in the auction.

i offer a ship discount, $3 for first item, $1.50 for each additional, but i dont blame other sellers for not, it is up to the buyer to ask these questions before bidding.

bread's done
Back