**sigh** need help w/ problem buyer on ebay

biuevenom

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
A bit of background info: Sold a new dell laptop sealed in box to a buyer in canada. Got a dispute email today on the 60th day of the sale from paypal/ebay stating the buyer's item is not as described.

I mailed the buyer via ebay messages after he opened the dispute asking what the issue is as I sold and mailed a brand new laptop to him. His reply stated he didn't have time to check if the laptop was working until last week as he lives in Brazil and had the laptop shipped to his friend in Canada who brought packages physically to him in Brazil. I stated he can have Dell warranty service it and even provided the phone unmber to him. So then he asked me for a "guarantee tax notice and notice of exportation" in order to get Dell to warranty it or I can just ship him a new laptop.  Does anyone know what those are? I can't seem to find the information on the former anywhere on google. Feel like this guy is a pro at scamming people on ebay at this point. 

I thought buyers had 45 days to open a dispute? Not sure how he got it opened past the 45th day.

Had I known he was in Brazil I wouldn't have gone thru with the transaction as almost everyone I've delt with there has been a major PITA.

Any advice on how to win this or get it closed? =/

Last edited by a moderator:
So then he asked me for a "guarantee tax notice and notice of exportation" in order to get Dell to warranty it or I can just ship him a new laptop.
It really sounds like scam, it just sounds ridiculous..That's why i only sell within U.S. selling stuff outside of your own country is risky as fuck, especially when its a electronic like a computer. Contact ebay support and explain everything..If the computer was new and he said it wasn't working and he asked you to send him a new one, Its a fucking scammer..

Seems like the buyer is definitely trying to scam you, and you should have a solid case with Paypal/eBay. You didn't agree to ship the laptop to Brazil, you agreed to send it to Canada and apparently it made it there in one piece. Anything that happened on the trip from Canada to Brazil isn't your problem. (He might have had it shipped to Canada to avoid paying taxes/duties on the package.)

I'm not familiar with Dell's warranty terms, but they are usually "locked" into either the original country or region (ie North America) they were sold in. If the laptop needed warranty service in Canada, it might have been covered. But, I doubt they will cover warranty service in Brazil, so that might be why he's trying to get some kind of documentation saying it's been exported to Brazil. I don't have any experience with that, but I would think that's something that's only available to a large corporation or import/export business. If anyone's responsible for that, it's him or his "friend" since he is the one that brought it to Brazil.

Your best option is to explain your whole situation to Paypal and hope they side with you. This buyer might have screwed himself since you have him on record saying he doesn't really live in Canada. No matter what happens, make sure to use the "Report a Buyer" feature on eBay and tell them that this buyer is trying to abuse the eBay buyer protection program.

Good luck with the case!

Warranties are generally non-transferrable. The original warranty on the laptop only applies to whoever purchased it (or in case of a gift, the recipient).

The buy could still win the case by simply saying that the item doesn't work, in which case, they'd need to send the laptop back to you and you'd have to give the buyer a refund.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dodged a bullet on this one! Ebay/paypal just closed the dispute this morning and the user is no longer registered with ebay.

Thanks for the help guys.

And Dell is the only manufacturer I know of that still allows warranties to be transferred on sale/gift of the computer (with some limitations).

Thanks for the info. Seem to be getting foreign buyers inquiring on my auctions. Did this person have feedback? Guess better not do it just to be safe and sell in US only. I was ok with Canada. Congrats on it working out

Thanks for the info. Seem to be getting foreign buyers inquiring on my auctions. Did this person have feedback? Guess better not do it just to be safe and sell in US only. I was ok with Canada. Congrats on it working out
He had 51 feedback all + and for mostly high priced items (iphones, ibm and dell laptops iirc) before he got naru'ed.

Shouldnt you checked if his paypal is verified first or something? If it is, then he is legit. If not then..
His paypal account was non-US Verified.

bread's done
Back