Silent Hill: Downpour Xbox 360 And PS3 For $19.97 On Amazon.

just chiming in to say I've enjoyed SH:Downpour - the story, the pace, the imagery. If you like Silent Hill in general I think you will enjoy it.

Wow.. there are people selling this for sub $20 on eBay as well. What happened with the game and how are people scoring it for so cheap?

[quote name='GBAstar']Wow.. there are people selling this for sub $20 on eBay as well. What happened with the game and how are people scoring it for so cheap?[/QUOTE]

I have no Idea....all i know it i got me a copy for that price.

[quote name='aardarf']just chiming in to say I've enjoyed SH:Downpour - the story, the pace, the imagery. If you like Silent Hill in general I think you will enjoy it.[/QUOTE]

Same.

I actually enjoyed it a lot more than I expected.

[quote name='aardarf']just chiming in to say I've enjoyed SH:Downpour - the story, the pace, the imagery. If you like Silent Hill in general I think you will enjoy it.[/QUOTE]

If I'm of the opinion that the Silent Hill series has long since gone stale (except for Shattered Memories, which was a radical one-off departure), how likely is it that Downpour will change my mind?

[quote name='11440']If I'm of the opinion that the Silent Hill series has long since gone stale (except for Shattered Memories, which was a radical one-off departure), how likely is it that Downpour will change my mind?[/QUOTE]
I really don't know... I've only played 1, 2, 3. I heard the others weren't as good so I haven't played them. I don't know what I would have thought if I'd played the others. What did you think of the others?

Well, what gave Silent Hill its force was its atmosphere, but the use of substantially the same imagery and soundscapes across the series desensitized me. By 4, the effect had totally worn off of me. Would you say that Downpour is still more of the same?

It's open world Silent Hill with side missions, however much that would appeal to you.

I thought it was great. The unfortunate big downside to the game is on the technical side...framerate issues, slowdown, the occasional glitch. If you can look past those things though, you might end up liking it.

[quote name='GBAstar']Wow.. there are people selling this for sub $20 on eBay as well. What happened with the game and how are people scoring it for so cheap?[/QUOTE]
Maybe they got it from the Best Buy DOTD for $19.99 a while ago? That's where I got my copy from.

Hopefully they've fixed the framerate stuttering and drops on both consoles by now via a patch though because when I had the game the framerate dropped so bad that I honestly thought it had frozen several times when I played it on PS3.

After putting up with that for about 3-5 hours worth of gameplay and just mindlessly wandering around the open part of the game world I couldn't stand it anymore and quit the game and never played it again.

I ended up trading it back to BB for over what I paid and I haven't looked back since.:whistle2:#

Here's more info on the framerate issue and alleged confirmation that they're working on a patch:

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/25/konami-patching-up-both-silent-hill-downpour-and-hd-collection/

But as of June/July of this year there was NO patch out for the PS3 version as far as I know.:cry:

[quote name='whoknows']It's open world Silent Hill with side missions, however much that would appeal to you.[/QUOTE]

That sounds discouraging. On the other hand, I suppose it's unfair for me to criticize the series for its sameness and then balk when it tries something new. Maybe I'll wait for a Gamefly deal on a used copy.

It's not like GTA style side missions, you just sort of come across them if you explore.

There's only 5 or 6 I believe, and they were well worth doing IMO. Some were very memorable and cool.

[quote name='TheHelix']The price sure has been on a downpour lol[/QUOTE]

An almost 6 month downpour is pretty standard for the average release, though.

[quote name='Prismatico']An almost 6 month downpour is pretty standard for the average release, though.[/QUOTE]

I like carne asada fries

[quote name='gogeta85']I just hope its a good game....only buying it cause its a nice price to play.[/QUOTE]

Technical issues aside, it's pretty good and it's not a whole lot more open than any other Silent Hill game, they just put a dozen or so sidequests here and there.

It's not even that there aren't many enemy types they're all pretty uninspired as far as SH monsters go. Don't get me wrong I loved the game, just hated the enemies, I played through in 3D on the 360. Still a huge fan of the series, and every game in it has it's good and bad points.

Thanks for the heads up! For some reason, Amazon's cart didn't show the updated price, so I had to re-add the items.

I dunno if this will be of any interest, but the price for the DmC collection is ~$21. Just noticed when I decided I had to re-check the items in my cart that were in-stock.

[quote name='hollowfreak']It's not even that there aren't many enemy types they're all pretty uninspired as far as SH monsters go. Don't get me wrong I loved the game, just hated the enemies, I played through in 3D on the 360. Still a huge fan of the series, and every game in it has it's good and bad points.[/QUOTE]

On one hand, they're not as creative or disturbing as past SH enemies for the most part. On the other, it's a more psychological SH game, and the enemies are supposed to sort of be representative of the main character's psyche and experiences, and they do really fit into that idea and work in that way...even the limited models and repetition of a few enemy types sort of works (given that Murphy was a prison inmate). I actually commend the developers for saying "Okay, what are these monsters and what do they represent in Murphy's world?" instead of "Okay, it's Silent Hill, so let's just make a bunch of random f'ed up creatures".

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Maybe they got it from the Best Buy DOTD for $19.99 a while ago? That's where I got my copy from.

Hopefully they've fixed the framerate stuttering and drops on both consoles by now via a patch though because when I had the game the framerate dropped so bad that I honestly thought it had frozen several times when I played it on PS3.

After putting up with that for about 3-5 hours worth of gameplay and just mindlessly wandering around the open part of the game world I couldn't stand it anymore and quit the game and never played it again.

I ended up trading it back to BB for over what I paid and I haven't looked back since.:whistle2:#

Here's more info on the framerate issue and alleged confirmation that they're working on a patch:

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/25/konami-patching-up-both-silent-hill-downpour-and-hd-collection/

But as of June/July of this year there was NO patch out for the PS3 version as far as I know.:cry:[/QUOTE]

It's disappointing when a developer or publisher will release a game when they know perfectly well that it has framerate issues like this.

Got this from DOTD a little while back. Well worth 20 bucks. Aside from the occasional frame rate drop I enjoyed it. It was honestly the first Silent Hill game since 3 that got a few jumps out of me. Those phantom police cars still get me. It wasn't until I realized you could catch them that they were part of a side mission.

bread's done
Back