Since I'm a cheap ass I havent yet enjoyed my ds

zebbers

CAGiversary!
I've wasted money buying clearance titles that have sucked (goldeneye +monster trucks) when I guess I should have put that towards something a little more decent. I did snag GTA advance for 6$ and so far thats the only game I've played more than 5 minutes lol.

i have 32 games for my DS (pathetic, i know)

My favorites :

trauma center
Castlevania DoS
Viewtiful Joe (hadnt played it until i got it last week for the DS)
tetris DS
Bust a move DS
Lost Magic
new super mario bros
metroid prime hunters

theres a bunch more that i am quite fond of, but those are EASILY worth the retail price

[quote name='zebbers']I've wasted money buying clearance titles that have sucked (goldeneye +monster trucks) when I guess I should have put that towards something a little more decent. I did snag GTA advance for 6$ and so far thats the only game I've played more than 5 minutes lol.[/quote]

which is why i check the reviews for the titles and also gamers' reviews if they like the game or not.
there are alot of ways to check if the game is worth buying.
but there are some games that you really need get into to enjoy the game.
but hey if you paid the clearance price tag, then you're fine. but if you paid like $30, man that's bad. and you'll say: "I paid $30 for this worthless game?!?"

:cool:

Oh yeah, I never buy anything full price without checking reviews. I dont mind the clearance ones cause I know I can unload them with only a marginal loss and chances are it may be worth keeping at that low of a price anyway.

A lot of people make that mistake on this site, they see something that's cheap and impluse buy it despite that fact it's a shitty game. No matter how inexpensive it is, it's still not going to be fun to play. I used to be a major offeneder of this, I'd buy every title I'd see that was $9.99 or less. For the most part I had to trade them all in for $1.00.

I realized all those shitty games I bought could have been ten good games that would have had massive replay value. Now I only buy games that are at the very least solid 8/10's.

[quote name='zebbers']I've wasted money buying clearance titles that have sucked (goldeneye +monster trucks) when I guess I should have put that towards something a little more decent. I did snag GTA advance for 6$ and so far thats the only game I've played more than 5 minutes lol.[/QUOTE]

maybe trade them into gamerush, with the extra 5 bucks, it is only little loss or maybe even profit.

then buy some of the good games there

I joined the DS world when the lite came out and so far I have 12 games. A few of them are still sealed, so I cant comment on those, but the ones that I cant stop playing so far are:

- New SMB
- Castlevania
- Mariokart (Ive beaten all the cups and now only play online)
- Tetris DS (only cos of the online, as a straight Tetris game it blows)

the other strange thing about the DS lite is that its super bright backlight screen has gotten me started playing GBA games again. Since I got my DS I sold my SP, but Ive played/beaten the following games on my DS:

- Metal Slug Advance
- Gaurdian Heroes Advance
- Gunstar Super Heroes
- Mr. Driller 2

I recently gathered all my GBA games together and cleaned them and reunited them with their manuals & boxes (if I got them new), because I never thought I was into handheld gaming, and I never considered my GBA games as a part of my 'collection' but now that I am completely in love with my DS, those games have newfound value to me.

[quote name='javeryh']I want to like Metroid but the controls are horrible.[/quote]

I love the controls. I seem to be one of the few people to never get hand cramps from this or any other DS game. To me, this is the most precise representation of an FPS to ever grace a handheld and should set the standard for the future FPS's.

Back on topic, there are many deals for DS games, just not sub $10. Almost all of my DS games I own, I have purchased for $20 or less when the retail price was $30 or more.

[quote name='ma']Mario Kart for $35 is a lot better deal than buying crappy titles for $8.96 at Circuit City.[/QUOTE]

i dunno about that..if you could have found advanced wars ds or metroid pinball..those games got high scores and are very good.

It's amusing - I came to this site about a year ago no doubt looking for a decent deal on some PC game. I don't like to play list price, but what some people feel that they need to pay before they splurge is just crazy to me!

Am also new to Nintendo stuff - DS Lite is my first Nintendo machine.

I actually paid list for Metroid/Hunters and feel it's worth it (I got hooked on the demo in a store). I bought the thumb strap from nintendo.com and it's definitely worthwhile. It's still a bit tricky trying to use my left hand for both firing and movement, but not impossible. A well done implementation of FPS gaming on a handheld.

I paid MORE than list for Phoenix Wright and I don't regret it. Compelling storytelling.

All the other DS games I bought I got cheaper than list. Anyway, I like them all:

New Super Mario Bros.
Metroid/Hunters
Advance Wars DS
Trauma Center
Phoenix Wright
Castlevania: DoS
Tetris DS

Also got these GBA games under $10:

Drill Dozer
Final Fantasy 1&2 Double Pack
Castlevania Double Pack ($19.99)

My girlfriend's letting me play her Yoshi's Island and Super Mario 3, both of which are great (esp. Yoshi).

All of these games are really good. Not sorry I bought any of them. But I do look at what people have to say about games before I buy.

-HM

Okay...I fixed my issue. I grabbed Mariokart, Sims2 and FF Tactics Advance from eb b2g1.

Mariokart is just what I expected, I look forward to playing it wifi.

Sims2 is awesome imho. id love to see an rpg use that sort of interface/engine on the ds...thats what the ds is made for imho.

Loving the lite....

[quote name='ma']This is exactly why I jumped on the Buy 2 @ $5 off Get 1 Free at TRU. They had some great titles in that offer. I was actually pretty bummed that there were only 5 good games in the offer instead of 6 (no Sudoku Gridmaster for me, thanks, I got a free Brain Age). Otherwise I would have done it twice.[/quote]

i bought several several copies of nsmb and just resold them on ebay. with the extral $$ i was able to get some more games from CC (AW and Metroid pinball) and then some. being a cheapass has just made me more creative when it comes to financing my gaming habit.

Actually, I've been finding Pac N Roll to be fun as hell for some reason. My friend had it, and lent it to me. Also, Ridge Race DS is fun, but a little difficult to control (It's like tryin to play a racing game on PC without a gamepad or wheel. There are touch screen analog options, but they suck imho). It should also be dirt cheap.

Also, as other have said, can't go wrong with:
Mario Kart
Meteos
NSMB
Tetris DS
Metroid Pinball (I loved it, but you need to like pinball prolly)
Castlevania
Advance Wars

Try before you buy: (I thought I'd love these, but was very dissappointed)
Yoshi Touch and Go
Metroid Prime Hunters (where are the Metroid adventure elements of the GCN Prime series, this is a friggin FPS! If it wasn't Metroid, I'd prolly have liked it, but I expect more from that series)

And don't forget the ability to play awesome GBA games:
Castlevania (all 3)
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Final Fantasy I & II Dawn of Souls
Final Fantasy IV Advance
Mario and Donkey Kong
All the Mario ports
Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission
Golden Sun 1 and 2
Astro Boy (no, hear me out. Do you like old school side scrolling games like Megaman, Gunstar Heroes, or Contra? If yes, buy this game. If no, buy this game and find out what you are missing!)

...as you can see, I play an exorbitant amount of portable games (gotta love those train rides), and play tons of them. There are far more out there, but these are the ones off the top of my head. The first 2 DS games I mentioned should be pretty easy to find cheap. For the other DS games, to stay cheap, I suggest trading, renting, or ebay. You are right, DS games rarely drop in price, sadly. Luckily, if you look into the GBA games I mentioned, you should be able to find a good portion of them fairly cheap, since GBA is an "old" system.

Your lucky you even bought games....I bought the DSL when it first came out and I still only have brain age....

I gotta agree with Zmonkay about Astro Boy. That game was great! I actually find myself playing more GBA games on my DS than actual DS games.

Add Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones to my list. Got it last night at TRU since it has very good reviews. Didn't even realize it was done by Intelligent Systems (Advance Wars). Good stuff!

When I'm gonna actually play all these games - who knows...

-HM

[quote name='Hollow Man']Add Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones to my list. Got it last night at TRU since it has very good reviews. Didn't even realize it was done by Intelligent Systems (Advance Wars). Good stuff!

When I'm gonna actually play all these games - who knows...

-HM[/QUOTE]

I have the first FE for the GBA and am playing through FE:SS now. Both are great titles so if you can find the first one, I'd recommend that one too. I liked the first one a bit more so far.

I never buy games because they are cheap. I only buy games that interest me, and just skim this site to try to find deals on them.

I have a quite a few DS games, about... 23? That beats the hell out of my GBA collection, I never really bought that many GBA games for some reason. I have no problem paying $30.00 or $35.00 for a good DS game though.

[quote name='Zmonkay']
Also, as other have said, can't go wrong with:
Mario Kart
Meteos
NSMB
Tetris DS
Metroid Pinball (I loved it, but you need to like pinball prolly)
Castlevania
Advance Wars

The first 2 DS games I mentioned should be pretty easy to find cheap. [/QUOTE]

I've been looking for a cheap-ass price on Mario Kart without any luck.

If anyone knows of one I'd love to hear it!

bread's done
Back