Since my DVD Player broke I need a New DVD Player that plays burn or vcds [help]

endlessPRO

Banned
My samsung dvd player broke this week :( after 6 years of working.

Any of you guys know a certain dvd player that plays burn dvds or vcd dvds?

Also my price range is around 60$?

Please help a CAG member out thank you!

http://www.amazon.com/CyberHome-CH-DVD-300S-Progressive-Scan-Player/dp/B0000A0AJH

I used to have one of these before I got my Toshiba. It's a decent lil' player for the price. Not without its glitches- the most notable being a weird glitch where there's no sound when you put in a DVD. (This can be fixed by running a VCD for a few seconds, then switching to the DVD. I don't why, but it works.)

You can probably do better, but it makes a good 'in-between' player while you look for, and save up for, what you'd rather have.

I don't have a specific model but for me, when I was looking for one to play all the formats, I would simply look for the cheapest non-name brand one out there--usually about 20 bucks or so and that will play all formats I need.

that link I posted is for a very nice upconverting dvd player that plays all formats, even divx. Also, it is only 44 bucks, very cheap!

get the walmart one. that is the best one i have ever had. I plays everything, including some iso. files. i love it and have bought one for all my employees and family. it kicks

[quote name='DuelLadyS']http://www.amazon.com/CyberHome-CH-DVD-300S-Progressive-Scan-Player/dp/B0000A0AJH

I used to have one of these before I got my Toshiba. It's a decent lil' player for the price. Not without its glitches- the most notable being a weird glitch where there's no sound when you put in a DVD. (This can be fixed by running a VCD for a few seconds, then switching to the DVD. I don't why, but it works.)

You can probably do better, but it makes a good 'in-between' player while you look for, and save up for, what you'd rather have.[/QUOTE]

my wife bought one of those and i hate it so much. the remote doesn't use a standard battery (AA or AAA). At times it would skip around, yet the dvd would work fine in another player.

[quote name='BasketCase1080']http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5584897[/QUOTE]

I have this same player, and haven't been terribly impressed with it, even for the price. I find that after about 45 minutes of DVD playback, the audio gets noticeably out of synch with the video, necessitating stopping the film and beginning again at the nearest chapter point. Also, when trying to play certain DivX files I've downloaded, it'll freeze up and start over after a few minutes of playback. I got this as an in-between player until I get my home theater setup with one of the Oppo upconverting players, but I sort of regret it now.

Will

Get this bad boy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8192733&st=5982&type=product&id=1164157002483

It's the higher end version of the Wal-Mart one basketcase posted. It has HDMI, upconverts to 1080p, and has a USB port for playing files off a flash drive and some hard drives. It'll play VCDs, SVCDs, and just about any burned format of DVD.

It's $60 right now on the website and there's a 12% coupon for Reward Zone members that may work if you talk your way into it (I did and the price came out to $56 after tax):

http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/en_US/images/external/emailpdf/062607_4th_july_coupons.pdf

Even better, you can get $5 from doing a PriceGrabber review:

http://electronics.pricegrabber.com/dvd-players/m/35586294/search=dvp5982

My net cost was $51.

Anybody know of a good/cheap region free player?
There's an easy to find code to make this player region free, too! Firmware upgradable, and very good PAL->NTSC conversion (rated better than the $150+ Oppo players).

A few months ago I bought a $30 compact Insignia DVD player from Best Buy and couldn't be happier. That Phillips was around $70 then and I needed a very compact DVD player. The Insignia plays everything from MP3's DVD+Rs -Rs, -RWs, +RWs, etc. If you can get it, that Phillips is a good deal!

[quote name='HuBu']my wife bought one of those and i hate it so much. the remote doesn't use a standard battery (AA or AAA). At times it would skip around, yet the dvd would work fine in another player.[/QUOTE]

The button battery in the remote was indeed weird. As for the skipping... I vaguely remember some skipping problems when I first got it. Oddly, the player seemed to need a 'breaking-in' period, and worked better the more it was used. *shrugs*

It's all kinda moot now tho', cuz that Phillips is almost certainly a better machine.

[quote name='Sporadic'] Anybody know of a good/cheap region free player? [/quote]

I've actually heard that any player can be made into a region-free machine by entering some 'secret code'... for example, that Cyberhome one I posted? Apparently pressing 'menu, 1, 9' while there's no disc in the unit lets you change the region-coding. Wish I'd known that before I got rid of it...

Anyway, you might look up info for whatever machine you currently have...

[quote name='DuelLadyS']I've actually heard that any player can be made into a region-free machine by entering some 'secret code'... for example, that Cyberhome one I posted? Apparently pressing 'menu, 1, 9' while there's no disc in the unit lets you change the region-coding. Wish I'd known that before I got rid of it...

Anyway, you might look up info for whatever machine you currently have...[/quote]

Many, but not all. A lot of DVD players have "secret codes" to enable region free play, but certainly not all of them. If this is an important issue, I suggest researching the information before purchasing.

[quote name='endlessPRO']thanks everyone.

The one for Walmart & Bestbuy do you think it will play region all free dvds also?[/quote]

All DVD players will play region free DVDs.

my sister got me a toshiba dvd player. No clue what model it is but she said it plays dvds, free region , burn , vcd and so on.

she said it cost 40ish.

got a call from her today that she got one so I guess I don't need one now^^

[quote name='endlessPRO']my sister got me a toshiba dvd player. No clue what model it is but she said it plays dvds, free region , burn , vcd and so on.

she said it cost 40ish.

got a call from her today that she got one so I guess I don't need one now^^[/quote]
I'm going to hit you with a rock.

This should be in the request section, not the section where you post deals. Save fellow CAG members there short time on earth and post this in the right section

I would suggest looking in the dvd players section of videohelp.com and click the top rated button. You can then check what players are compatible with what media, divx compatibility, pricing, etc.

The Philips 3490 for $45 is a GREAT upconverting player at you local Walmart.
I've had two of them for 3 months and they have worked with no problem. You can also set them for region free playpack.

Holy crap, I've had that Cyberhome DVD player for a couple years now and this is the first time I've heard that it's region free. If only I had any foreign DVDs...

bread's done
Back