Singstar???

Mufasa

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I have been looking at singstar a little bit and think that it would be a riot to play after coming home from the bars, or after a couple drinks with some friends. Just checking if anyone has played it, and if it is actually any fun. I was thinking about checking out ebay for them or the CAG trade lists to see if I can get it on the cheap, because I'm not a big fan of shelling out $50 for ps2 games anymore.

Also does anyone know if the mics work with Get on Da Mic? Because I would probably end up picking that up too for a little extra fun.

Thanks

I've played the first two SingStar games. They're fun if you're looking for a straight up karaoke experience, but it can get a little boring beyond that. Unlike the Karaoke Revolution games, there's nothing to unlock or achieve other than high scores, which can be a good or bad thing, depending on what you want.

Overall, they are a little overpriced for the amount of songs you get, but they're still kinda fun.

As far as the mics, my understanding is that they will only work with the SingStar games, because of the way they connect to the PS2.

So is Karaoke Revolution worth a pickup on the cheap?? I have a headset, is it hard to get another mic?? How about the song selection on Karaoke Revolution, I was impressed with the selection on Singstar Rocks, that what kind of led me to it. Also do you know any good deals on either of these games??

[quote name='Mufasa']So is Karaoke Revolution worth a pickup on the cheap?? I have a headset, is it hard to get another mic?? How about the song selection on Karaoke Revolution, I was impressed with the selection on Singstar Rocks, that what kind of led me to it. Also do you know any good deals on either of these games??[/QUOTE]

I like both games, but for different reasons... Let me try and break it down for ya.

The Karaoke Revolution games use cover versions of the songs for you to sing along to, much like Guitar Hero originally did. Each title has anywhere from 35 (KR 2 and KR Country) to 50 songs (KR Party). You get to pick a character and costume (Or in some of the later games, you have a lot more customization options), and you'll see that character performing at different locals. The song selection is a bit eccentric. There are newer songs on them, but there are also a lot of older songs. All you need for KR is a USB mic. A lot of the games come with one, a headset works, and I think Logitech also sells an stand-alone mic.

SingStar uses the actual songs, with actual music videos playing behind the words, so you don't have a character or anything like that. Each title has 30 songs, and the song selections are more themed as you've probably noticed. One of the cool things SingStar has that KR doesn't is that you can switch discs on the fly. If you want to go from Rock songs to 80's music, you can do that through the main menu. KR has to boot each game up seperately. SingStar's mics are unique, though. They have those headphone type of prong plugs and they come with a USB adapter, which they plug into, which is then plugged into the PS2. This means your headset won't work, but since it comes with 2 mics, that's not much of a problem.

One of the main differences between KR and SS is the way the lyrics come on screen. KR's lyrics scroll from right to left so you just read them as they come along. SS scrolls up from the bottom, one line at a time. It's a different feel, and sometimes it throws me off a little, but neither method is particularly bad.

Oh, and since you mentioned it, I also have Get On Da Mic. Rapping along with the actual songs is kind of a pain, but the real fun of it is in Freestyle mode. The game provides you with a backbeat, and then you have a pass the mic rap battle with a friend, and the other people can use the controller to vote on who's rapping better. My friends and I have had a lot of fun with that.

As far as deals, I'm not aware of any at the moment. If I come across something, I'll let you know. So, if you have any other questions, I'll be glad to answer them for you if I can.

[quote name='BlueWingX']I like both games, but for different reasons... Let me try and break it down for ya.

The Karaoke Revolution games use cover versions of the songs for you to sing along to, much like Guitar Hero originally did. Each title has anywhere from 35 (KR 2 and KR Country) to 50 songs (KR Party). You get to pick a character and costume (Or in some of the later games, you have a lot more customization options), and you'll see that character performing at different locals. The song selection is a bit eccentric. There are newer songs on them, but there are also a lot of older songs. All you need for KR is a USB mic. A lot of the games come with one, a headset works, and I think Logitech also sells an stand-alone mic.

SingStar uses the actual songs, with actual music videos playing behind the words, so you don't have a character or anything like that. Each title has 30 songs, and the song selections are more themed as you've probably noticed. One of the cool things SingStar has that KR doesn't is that you can switch discs on the fly. If you want to go from Rock songs to 80's music, you can do that through the main menu. KR has to boot each game up seperately. SingStar's mics are unique, though. They have those headphone type of prong plugs and they come with a USB adapter, which they plug into, which is then plugged into the PS2. This means your headset won't work, but since it comes with 2 mics, that's not much of a problem.

One of the main differences between KR and SS is the way the lyrics come on screen. KR's lyrics scroll from right to left so you just read them as they come along. SS scrolls up from the bottom, one line at a time. It's a different feel, and sometimes it throws me off a little, but neither method is particularly bad.

Oh, and since you mentioned it, I also have Get On Da Mic. Rapping along with the actual songs is kind of a pain, but the real fun of it is in Freestyle mode. The game provides you with a backbeat, and then you have a pass the mic rap battle with a friend, and the other people can use the controller to vote on who's rapping better. My friends and I have had a lot of fun with that.

As far as deals, I'm not aware of any at the moment. If I come across something, I'll let you know. So, if you have any other questions, I'll be glad to answer them for you if I can.[/quote]

Thanks a ton man, you were a huge help.

bread's done
Back