Sins of a Solar Empire - 25% off for Cyber Monday!

Island Dog

CAGiversary!
This is a great game for the PC.

http://impulsedriven.com/sin

Use code: Sins1208

Sins of a Solar Empire, the best-selling PC strategy game of 2008 that puts the player in command of an interstellar empire at war, is now 25% off for Cyber Monday!

In Sins of a Solar Empire, the survival of humanity stands on the edge of utter ruin as three powerful factions vie for control of the galaxy. Take command of one of three space-faring races as you work to establish your domination of the galaxy in Sins of a Solar Empire. Through a combination of diplomacy, economic skill, cultural influence, and sheer military might you will establish order over your corner of the galaxy!

Sins of a Solar Empire is regularly available for $44.95 at most retail outlets worldwide, and for a limited time only is available for 25% off when you purchase it through Impulse with this coupon code:

Wish Impulse wasn't activation DRM, or I'd get it. Since it is, I'll wait for a deal on the retail copy :whistle2:( (Sounds like an AWESOME game!)

What's so bad about Stardock's activation? You can activate as much as you want, so long it doesn't look like you gave away the game.

Compared to Spore or even Steam, this is nothing.

You can also spend slightly more and get the boxed version along with the download. The boxed disk doesn't need to be activated. And yes, the boxed version works with the discount.

Sins of a Solar Empire (Download + Retail Box)
-$44.95- $33.71
* The SINS1208 coupon has saved you $11.24.

It's the best activation around I'm sure, but it's still activation. You don't own it-you're dependent on a third party to play your game.

It only needs to be activated when you install. And this doesn't apply to the boxed game... Eh, whatever, your loss. Sins is a great game.

I know the retail game doesn't have activation-that's why I'm going to buy it at some point. And "only activate when you install" doesn't help a whole lot.

[quote name='djlbass']The retail version is $29.99 on amazon.[/QUOTE]

Oh cool. Nice find! Yeah...cheaper for a physical copy that you also actually own is a slightly better deal :D

[quote name='Wolfpup']I know the retail game doesn't have activation-that's why I'm going to buy it at some point. And "only activate when you install" doesn't help a whole lot.[/quote]

You should take a look at other forms of "DRM". With Sins, you don't have to have the CD loaded, nor do you have to run Impulse or any other program to play the game. Whether you buy retail or digital, you will need Impulse in order to update the game.

And you "own" the game regardless of retail or digital purchase. ;)

The retail version is $29.99 on amazon.

Same price as the discount, and you don't have to wait for delivery. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
An expansion pack is due out soon for this. Hopefully they will pack it in soon, so I'm going to hold off for now.

[quote name='Daichi']Compared to Spore or even Steam, this is nothing.[/quote]

You have a problem with Steam? Alright, that's it, either throw your computer away and stick with consoles, permanently, or shut up.

[quote name='grifter_mcgraw']You have a problem with Steam? Alright, that's it, either throw your computer away and stick with consoles, permanently, or shut up.[/QUOTE]

There's plenty of PC games without activation. Activation's dying off for music, and especially if we don't support it, it'll die off for games too.

[quote name='djlbass']The retail version is $29.99 on amazon.[/quote]

cool.
icon_smile.gif
will look into this. thanks!

[quote name='grifter_mcgraw']You have a problem with Steam? Alright, that's it, either throw your computer away and stick with consoles, permanently, or shut up.[/QUOTE]

spoken like someone who's never had problems with steam drm

[quote name='KamiNoYadoru']spoken like someone who's never had problems with steam drm[/quote]

Spoken like someone who did something incredibly stupid. Or like a pirate.

Seriously. Steam actually lets you download games as much as you want. On any computer.

[quote name='grifter_mcgraw']Spoken like someone who did something incredibly stupid. Or like a pirate[/QUOTE]

People who steal games don't have trouble with Steam because they don't deal with DRM. DRM only affects paying customers.

And I had trouble with Steam the very first time I downloaded a game I 'bought' through it (that 98¢ Half Life thing)

[quote name='Wolfpup']People who steal games don't have trouble with Steam because they don't deal with DRM. DRM only affects paying customers.

And I had trouble with Steam the very first time I downloaded a game I 'bought' through it (that 98¢ Half Life thing)[/quote]

..Define 'trouble.'

I couldn't get the game to download or Steam to update. Had to hunt around for hours finding a solution.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I couldn't get the game to download or Steam to update. Had to hunt around for hours finding a solution.[/quote]

And you're absolutely sure that was Steam's fault?

More specifically, that it was a problem with Steam's DRM?

[quote name='Wolfpup']Yes, it was Steam giving the errors.[/quote]

An error message doesn't imply that the fault wasn't yours. Maybe if you could be more specific.

And Steam erroring has nothing to do with it's DRM.

[quote name='grifter_mcgraw']An error message doesn't imply that the fault wasn't yours. Maybe if you could be more specific.

And Steam erroring has nothing to do with it's DRM.[/quote]

Wow! a steam fanboy, I didn't even know such a thing existed.

Yes I'm sure he willingly created error messages and that steam is a perfect product that couldn't possibly have any sort of compatibility issues with Windows.:lol:

Hee hee.

Yes, it was Steam's fault. There were a bunch of other people having the same problem, which is how I finally found a solution (of sorts) to it, though I've no idea why it broke to begin with.

And of COURSE it's a DRM issue. If Steam isn't working, it's DRM isn't working. Irrelevant if it was something other than the DRM part of Steam that was causing it to not work.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Hee hee.

Yes, it was Steam's fault. There were a bunch of other people having the same problem, which is how I finally found a solution (of sorts) to it, though I've no idea why it broke to begin with.

And of COURSE it's a DRM issue. If Steam isn't working, it's DRM isn't working. Irrelevant if it was something other than the DRM part of Steam that was causing it to not work.[/quote]

Ahah! Of course, silly me, I forgot the first rule of bashing a program: don't give any details! That way, not only can no one prove you did something stupid, but then it's much easier to trash specific parts of the program. ("I don't know why this happened, but I'm absolutely sure it had something to do with the program's DRM!")

Sins of a Solar Empire...folks, the key is for a Ironclad account, so you can play online (you can get the 1.1 patch without impulse if you know where to look).

and while the key follows you, it only does so that a billion people use that key to go online at once using that key. The key is not needed otherwise, although it does ask for one on install (which is an Ironclad Online thing, not a Sins thing)

And no, impulse is not needed to launch the game...

Also, topic rerail!

Sins is nice for LAN games :D

Sins is a nice game period, masterage :)

If you even remotely enjoy 4X and/or RTS games, do yourself a favor and buy it. Stardock/Ironclad also release frequent updates.

bread's done
Back