Sirius/XM merger looking more likely

klwillis45

CAGiversary!
from jsonline.com

"The merger of satellite radio broadcasters XM and Sirius took another step forward Tuesday when stockholders in the two companies voted separately to become one mega-satellite service.
XM's "preliminary tabulation" shows 99.8% of the shares support the transaction, which would create a single satellite competitor to traditional "terrestrial" radio. Meanwhile, Sirius reported that 96% of shares voted in approval of the merger.
Yes, those percentages sound like an election in Saddam Hussein'sIraq, but it's clear that the stronger combination is a likely boon to investors from both companies.
The merger still has to get approval from the U.S. Justice Department and the Federal Communications Commission.
Sirius CEO Mel Karmazin told the Chicago Tribune last week that he'd continue fighting if the merger is turned down by the two federal regulators."

As a Sirius sub I wholly support this move. I want my MLB and I'm sure plenty of XM subs want the NFL.

[quote name='klwillis45']from jsonline.com

"The merger of satellite radio broadcasters XM and Sirius took another step forward Tuesday when stockholders in the two companies voted separately to become one mega-satellite service.
XM's "preliminary tabulation" shows 99.8% of the shares support the transaction, which would create a single satellite competitor to traditional "terrestrial" radio. Meanwhile, Sirius reported that 96% of shares voted in approval of the merger.
Yes, those percentages sound like an election in Saddam Hussein'sIraq, but it's clear that the stronger combination is a likely boon to investors from both companies.
The merger still has to get approval from the U.S. Justice Department and the Federal Communications Commission.
Sirius CEO Mel Karmazin told the Chicago Tribune last week that he'd continue fighting if the merger is turned down by the two federal regulators."

As a Sirius sub I wholly support this move. I want my MLB and I'm sure plenty of XM subs want the NFL.[/quote]
I support the move as a sirius sub also.

This would finally get me to subscribe. I have XM available in my car but I don't subscribe because all I really want (in addition to the sports stuff) is Howard.

Sounds good to me, I like stations on both channels. I just hope that channel consolidation would not get rid of the channels I like.

[quote name='sonderiaom']Ya know, it's weird, I could've sworn a couple months ago that they already did merge.[/quote]

They started talks a few months ago

I have XM and honestly, if there isn't another serious startup company jumping into sat radio, I don't want this to go through.

And then of course I doubt this is actually going to go through, shit would be a monopoly and a half

Let them have a monopoly. I see no reason why you can't monopolize ANY market that isn't a nescessity of life (housing market, food, electricity, etc).

I had XM, didn't care enough to keep it around. MP3 player > Satellite. Especially when I was camping out in Yosemite and had no signal on the XM. Works anywhere my ass. Yes I was not under an S load of trees or in a tunnel.

Also, freeFM > Satellite. Adam Carolla (for you West Coast folks) + Leykis = Win.

bread's done
Back