Site Requests - Game Collections

nneace

CAGiversary!
Feedback
27 (100%)
Here are a few requests I would like to see in our game collection component.

1) It would be nice to select a system, and then have it display all the titles at one time. For instance if I type in Xbox 360, it would show every title so I could click all 38 games that I have. It would be so much faster and it would keep me from having to sit in front of my compy with all my games.

2) The ability to import lists from other sites would save even more time.

I will update this post with any other ideas listed in his thread.

Thanks.

You can already sort by system. Go to Games & Collections and click Browse Games. At the very bottom you can select the platform to sort by.

While there is a sort by platform option, the games still aren't sorted by any logical means beyond that. It needs to also be ordered alphabetically to be useful at all.

After sorting by platform, you can then sort those games by whichever column you want. If you want alphabetical you can then select "Game" at the top of the listings and it will then put them in alphabetical order. Now from there it only has page numbers but it will be in alphabetical. I could see an Alphabet option similar to the game collection pages being useful as well.

That still doesn't sort them alphabetically and by platform. You can't sort the games by two criteria at the same time, as it needs to be a default setting that has to be changed.

Okay, I'm confused and I do apologize if I'm misunderstanding what you are saying. I select platform at the very bottom, I guess would be the search area by Platform and leave everything else blank. It then shows me only the system I want. Then I do the "game" selection to sort alphabetically. I've been doing that pretty much since the Game Database was put in place. I used that method when they introduced the TIV input option as well to go through all the systems that were in the TIV thread. Made it easy to go by system and then by alphabetical order instead of searching for each game.

[IMG-L=6370]14579[/IMG-L]

You are in the section for browsing all games in the database, not the personal collection. If you go to "games & collections" and then to "collection", you only have the option of listing by game (alphabetically) and by system (complete random ordering of the games). You cannot get you collection listed by system AND in alphabetical order. It is a compete mess.

Ah, that would explain my complete misunderstanding. I apologize to everyone in that regard. I think of it all as one component and sometimes don't drill down to the individual pieces.

To get real dumb how do I even setup my collection. I go in and where it says "Add Game" i type in a game name(hit enter) but it never displays anything beyond that or adds it in. Am I doing something wrong?

[quote name='Hell Monkey']To get real dumb how do I even setup my collection. I go in and where it says "Add Game" i type in a game name(hit enter) but it never displays anything beyond that or adds it in. Am I doing something wrong?[/QUOTE]
Once you are in the Collections area in "Games and Collections" and type in a game name it should load up a list of items it could be, like the screenshot below.Just click the "Add game to Collection" and it'll be in your collection then.

[IMG-L=6370]16552[/IMG-L]

Another way, if that one isn't working for you, is to search for the game through the search bar at the top and click the game name to go to the game page.

[IMG-L=6370]14298[/IMG-L]

There you can select the green icon that says Collection under it and it'll put that into your collection. It can take a few seconds for the green + to change to the orange - sign.

Just a few quick suggestions for the collection feature.

1. Improved sorting. As others have said, it'd be nice if you could sort games alphabetically and by platform, at the same time.

2. Improved exporting. I don't know about anyone else, but when I export my list into Excel, games are listed in no discernible order. It'd be great if they could be exported in whatever way your collection is sorted - i.e. alphabetically, or alphabetically by system, etc. It'd also be nice if things like condition or price paid were exported as well. And lastly, I would really love something quite plain: a simple text file export that just lists all of the games I own, sorted the same way(s) as my collection. That would be very handy for viewing on a mobile device.

3. More data fields. I'd absolutely love having more places to put info, like where I bought something, if it's Greatest Hits or not, replacement value/current value, things like that.

I'm really liking having some of these new tools at my fingertips -- the price-tracker is proving very handy. Keep up the good work, Super Programmer John!

I agree with the Importing feature from your PS3/360 played game list. Though it might be some work for Super Programmer John to do, I know some sites ask you to import your game collection using the played games screen found on xbox.com. I would imagine setting up a simple text sorter code wouldn't be to difficult. As Some of us have over 80 games in our collection, it's a little tedious to do this all manually. Possibly in the future, having it automatically sort your games would be awesome as you sync them with the xbox cloud server.

A minor thing, but I know many people would enjoy seeing this feature...

bread's done
Back