SIXAXIS batteries non replaceable.......or are they? UPDATE

Michaellvortega

CAGiversary!
Feedback
30 (100%)
I Noticed this earlier and even mentioned it in a thread a month ago, but finally a it has been confirmed that once the batteries in the PS3 remote die that's it, there is no hot swapping batteries or use of AA's. Thoughts?

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/10/18/ps3-controllers-play-and-toss/

UPDATE
Posted this morning at joystiq saying otherwise.

:Sony to replace PS3 controllers when/if they die:
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/10/20/sony-to-replace-ps3-controllers-when-if-they-die/

Somehow I cant see Sony replacing all those remotes when they die if they plan for PS3 to last 10 years.

That's some Grade A bullshit right there.

Don't see it being a huge problem though until a few years down the line when the battery begins to lose charge.

I don't know if thats really an issue because in all likely hood you'll get a dead button before you have to replace supposedly 1000x rechargeable batteries. So if its made right to being with it shouldn't matter. Lastly, there is no such thing as nonreplaceable batteries, just non easily replaceable batteries.

I'll guarntee that buying a new SIXAXIS controller (after the battery may die after 4-5 years, which is highly unlike) is probably the same price, if not cheaper, than replacing two AA batteries in the 360 controller every month or two, for the same time period.

At least Sony made the controller rechargeable from the beginning, instead of wasting AA batteries.

[quote name='NoRain']I don't know if thats really an issue because in all likely hood you'll get a dead button before you have to replace supposedly 1000x rechargeable batteries. So if its made right to being with it shouldn't matter. Lastly, there is no such thing as nonreplaceable batteries, just non easily replaceable batteries.[/QUOTE]

Rechargable lithium batteries have an average lifespan of about two years before they lose a significant amount of their ability to hold a charge. I have never ever had a controller have a button die on me before. This is just terribly ignorant on Sony's part if they don't have a way to easily replace the pack a la the 360.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I'll guarntee that buying a new SIXAXIS controller (after the battery may die after 4-5 years, which is highly unlike) is probably the same price, if not cheaper, than replacing two AA batteries in the 360 controller every month or two, for the same time period.

At least Sony made the controller rechargeable from the beginning, instead of wasting AA batteries.[/QUOTE]

AA bateries aren't that expensive and you are really overestimating the lifespan of rechargable batteries. Furthermore, you could pay a little bit extra and get AA rechargable batteries which would significantly reduce the amount of AA's you go through.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I'll guarntee that buying a new SIXAXIS controller (after the battery may die after 4-5 years, which is highly unlike) is probably the same price, if not cheaper, than replacing two AA batteries in the 360 controller every month or two, for the same time period.

At least Sony made the controller rechargeable from the beginning, instead of wasting AA batteries.[/QUOTE]
Take off your blinders for a second, you're missing a couple key points here:
1) You can buy a rechargeable AA battery set for $15 at most. It's really a non-issue for the 360.
2) Li-ion batteries lose their ability to hold a charge. In a span of a couple years the controller may lose a significant amount of charge time. And it only gets worse as time goes on.

Edit: what he said.

Joystiq are tards.

Are the batteries Li Ion? If so they are fairly resistant to the memory effect. If so then IT could get annoying, but controllers use such little energy that these should last a decent amount of time.

The whole initial argument about syncing is retarded. Why can't there be a fricking decent games blog out there.

so far the only one i've seen with any decency is 2old2play in some articles.

A Play and Charge kit will cost less than batteries.

I do like that the Sixaxis can be charged by USB.

[quote name='Zoglog']Joystiq are tards.

Are the batteries Li Ion? If so they are fairly resistant to the memory effect. If so then IT could get annoying, but controllers use such little energy that these should last a decent amount of time.

The whole initial argument about syncing is retarded. Why can't there be a fricking decent games blog out there.

so far the only one i've seen with any decency is 2old2play in some articles.[/QUOTE]

The problem with the gaming blogs is that they pretend to be journalist when they aren't.

The batteries are Li Ion, I think a dilemma here is that instead of being able to swap out used batteries for new like you can with a Wii or 360, you have no choice but to plug the control to the system. On top of that two years from now you pretty much will have a wired only control due to the battery life being so sucky and the batteries not able to be replaced by a normal person.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Hold on....sony....batteries...this can't be good. ;)

Note to self: return my defective sony laptop battery tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

I don't want my SIXAXIS to blow up in my hand like their laptop batteries.

[quote name='Zoglog']Joystiq are tards.

so far the only one i've seen with any decency is 2old2play in some articles.[/QUOTE]
Li-ion batteries do not suffer from memory effect. But that isn't the issue. Li-ion batteries suffer from a permanent loss in capacity over time.

Isn't this the same issue as with the GBA SP? I haven't owned one but remember reading about that before it came out, so if somebody could clarify that'd be great.

[quote name='TimPV3']Isn't this the same issue as with the GBA SP? I haven't owned one but remember reading about that before it came out, so if somebody could clarify that'd be great.[/QUOTE]

The GBA SP had a one screw over the battery compartment. On top of the battery replacement kits were available right away.

Oh cause you guys fucking know Ive gone through atleast 4-10 Ipods cause I cant replace the batteries!

You guys are morons.

Its called RECHARGE.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Oh cause you guys fucking know Ive gone through atleast 4-10 Ipods cause I cant replace the batteries!

You guys are morons.

Its called RECHARGE.[/QUOTE]

The point is, once the battery dies(which is 1-2 years or X amount of charges) you will be unable to recharge or unable to keep a charge for more then a short period of time. If you have gone through 4-10 Ipods then you would know that. At $50 a pop that is unacceptable to not have a easily replaceable battery. Over all this isnt going to stop me(or any PS fan) from buying a PS3 but it's the little things that start dragging the level of convenience down.

I guess this totally kills buying used ps3 controllers. I wonder if EBstop would even take them in, since they would not only have to test, they would have to make sure its charged and holds the charge, which seems highly unlikely.

[quote name='pinoy530']I guess this totally kills buying used ps3 controllers. I wonder if EBstop would even take them in, since they would not only have to test, they would have to make sure its charged and holds the charge, which seems highly unlikely.[/quote]

Not really. The controllers still work when they are plugged in even if the battery is absolutely dead. The price they are willing to offer would obviously be not that good, but you get a controller for dirt cheap if you were willing to take it as is. I'm not saying I would do it, but I'm sure that resale isn't totally ruled out.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']The point is, once the battery dies(which is 1-2 years or X amount of charges) you will be unable to recharge or unable to keep a charge for more then a short period of time. If you have gone through 4-10 Ipods then you would know that. At $50 a pop that is unacceptable to not have a easily replaceable battery. Over all this isnt going to stop me(or any PS fan) from buying a PS3 but it's the little things that start dragging the level of convenience down.[/quote]

I was being sarcastic about the Ipods.

Just plug your controller in after 2-3 years if it dies.

Stop crying about 2-3 years.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']I was being sarcastic about the Ipods.

Stop crying about 2-3 years.[/QUOTE]
I don't want to buy two new controllers halfway through the console's life. You can be happy to hand Sony more money, if you'd like.

I dont think I've had Sony controllers last that long anyway. You'll probably have some other problem with it that requires replacing before the battery dies.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I dont think I've had Sony controllers last that long anyway. You'll probably have some other problem with it that requires replacing before the battery dies.[/quote]

:shame: I've still got my launch PS2 controller and it works just fine. :p

Course... I don't use it all that much due to my purtie logitechs. :bouncy:

It wouldn't be that big of a deal to replace the batteries when they die die, I'd assume. The real problem for me (and I figure most of you) is the fact that I can't just pop it out and let it charge and still play wirelessly with another pack. I have about 10 rechargable AAs I have just waiting for my wireless controllers.

Will simply plugging it to the usb connection work even if the battery is completely dead?

My friend has 2 dead earlier model ipods; he stopped buying them afterwards so dead batteries aren't a laughing matter!

Without vibration the controllers might last pretty long but not sure how the sixaxis will affect battery usuage.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']That's some Grade A bullshit right there.[/QUOTE]

Sony and bullshit?! Who would have thought?!?!

Kind of puts a damper on the whole SixAxis thing plugging it in.

Wait, the Wii and 360 controllers use batteries? I thought they were rechargeable. Guess I was wrong about that.

And good for Sony. They had a fantastically better press event yesterday than at TGS and are starting to act like a company setting out to win a console race... even if they probably won't.

[quote name='Z-Saber']Wait, the Wii and 360 controllers use batteries? I thought they were rechargeable. Guess I was wrong about that.

And good for Sony. They had a fantastically better press event yesterday than at TGS and are starting to act like a company setting out to win a console race....[/quote]

Yea their Gamers Day was finnally a good showing for them.

It's good that Sony will replace the batteries. I wonder if it'll be a warranty related expense or if it'll cause the consumer to pony up the X dollars to get it replaced a'la the 360 over the past few months.

And yes, Gamer's Day may have been Sony's best showing so far.

[quote name='furyk']It's good that Sony will replace the batteries. I wonder if it'll be a warranty related expense or if it'll cause the consumer to pony up the X dollars to get it replaced a'la the 360 over the past few months.

And yes, Gamer's Day may have been Sony's best showing so far.[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking Sony "saying the will replace batteries" is just PR damage control. I bet if some one called up 93 days after purchase and said their batteries were not holding a charge Sony would tell them to buy a new control. I mean would it have been cheaper to just make a battery that pops out instead of being enclosed by 6 screws and a security sticker?

Only thing I didn't like about Sonys Gamer Day was the hush quiet announcement the Resistance fall of man would be 720p instead of 1080p :roll: what a gip.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I dont think I've had Sony controllers last that long anyway. You'll probably have some other problem with it that requires replacing before the battery dies.[/quote]

Yeah....like the console itself will take a shit long before the controller does. Then in that case, you shell out more money for another PS3 and get a new controller with it....problem solved.....unless SONY, by then, will be charging extra for the controller......greedy fuck ers!

bread's done
Back