Skate 2 - Gen. Discussion & Info - Game is out right now!

This is the first Skateboarding game I buy since Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 and I am liking it so far. I am not a skater by any means and I like the challenging gameplay this game offers. Nothing is really easy to do so it keeps it kind of interesting. I have been hearing some good things about the Hall of Meat online mode so I will give that a try pretty soon.

Yeah, I like the game so far. The controls are pretty damn hard but once I got use to them it starting coming together. The walking controls like a zombie though.

I like the realistic feel of the game. One question, how do I string together grind moves off of 2 different objects? Like say 2 benches with a gap in between once I am at the end of one how do I "jump" to the next one? I tried just doing a kick flip but it didnt seem to work well. Though I might not be good enough yet.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']I finally got past the handrail challenge, but now I'm stuck on the basketball goal plant. Hard stuff, man![/quote]

You have to hold RB before you hit the half pipe. I dunno how long i was trying this till i found this out. I was always pressing RB after i left the ramp and before i hit the backboard.

Dont get me wrong, this game is a lot of fun. But its the little shit that makes me mad. Like "are you sure" after you try to restart a challenge. Or instead of going up a ramp, you hit a glitch and it stops your momentum. Or when you are in a challenge and you press A to go and he goes for a second and then stops, forcing you to release A and hit it again to make him go. Not to mention getting spawned behind shit, and it seems like they always spawn you with barely enough room to do a trick. You always have to back up to get more room/speed. Then sometimes it seems like i can do a stupid little trick and ill get more points off it than doing a cool ass long trick.

Yeah the "are you sure" and the 3..2...1 for retrying a challenge miss me the fuck off.

I'm stuck on Can You Spell Girl? (Can't get that glitch to work) and Blaowie or whatever. Any tips on the latter? I think it's ridiculous they want you to transfer over a pool.

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']Just wait until you try to make a decent looking girl. Shades of Oblivion.[/quote]
The create mode is awful for female characters?

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']Yeah the "are you sure" and the 3..2...1 for retrying a challenge miss me the fuck off.

I'm stuck on Can You Spell Girl? (Can't get that glitch to work) and Blaowie or whatever. Any tips on the latter? I think it's ridiculous they want you to transfer over a pool.[/quote]

Are you getting the rail from far away? I know there is one kind of close, but there is one further away. Plus on the first guys try it wont show up, but it will be there on the 2nd guys turn.

For that pool one, it is a bitch. I got it legit, but there is a cheat video on youtube somewhere. I dont have a link, or the correct spelling of BLAOEW or whatever to look it up. LOL

[quote name='The 7th Number']You have to hold RB before you hit the half pipe. I dunno how long i was trying this till i found this out. I was always pressing RB after i left the ramp and before i hit the backboard.

Dont get me wrong, this game is a lot of fun. But its the little shit that makes me mad. Like "are you sure" after you try to restart a challenge. Or instead of going up a ramp, you hit a glitch and it stops your momentum. Or when you are in a challenge and you press A to go and he goes for a second and then stops, forcing you to release A and hit it again to make him go. Not to mention getting spawned behind shit, and it seems like they always spawn you with barely enough room to do a trick. You always have to back up to get more room/speed. Then sometimes it seems like i can do a stupid little trick and ill get more points off it than doing a cool ass long trick.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip on the challenge, worked like a charm! Also, I just played against ya in a ranked match! What are the chances? Ha!

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Thanks for the tip on the challenge, worked like a charm! Also, I just played against ya in a ranked match! What are the chances? Ha![/quote]

Haha sweet. I dont remember your name, but i have been playing a ton of online. I got all the badges except for Death Races, i need silver and gold. I was just playing one then my game froze. Second time today it froze, and im playing with it installed!!!

Man its going to take forever to get all the badges in death race. The most points they give out is 12. The least i think is 3 and you need a total of 1000 points for the gold badge.

Man, this game does something that I find to be extremely annoying and its no surprise that it comes from EA.

I dont mind loosing a lot (hell I beat CODWAW on vet) but the way in which you compete against the CPU players in this game is complete ass.

I have been doing the Danny Way challenge for like 3 hours and I keep loosing. But the problem is that I never feel like I am competing against him, it just feels like the CPU is throwing out random numbers and its up to be just be lucky enough to have more at the end. For example if I do some tricks and get 15,000 points 2 seconds later the CPU will have 16,000 points. Fine, I do more tricks and get 17,500 and like clockwork the CPU will get 25,000 right after.

I guess I just would feel better if I could see what the CPU is doing to get points. I love the street contest for this reason..you can see what the 3 other CPU players are doing to get awarded points. But for a lot of these other one it seems like the game is just pulling numbers out of thin air....Danny way once got like 5,000 points for a kick flip 360.....after I only got like 2,000 for a back flip no foot.

This series just needs to rid itself of the game of S.K.A.T.E.... it's the worst IMHO...

been playing freeskate online and I have to say it's becoming the best part of the game for me. real fun. if anyone hasn't tried it I recommend doing so.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']This series just needs to rid itself of the game of S.K.A.T.E.... it's the worst IMHO...

been playing freeskate online and I have to say it's becoming the best part of the game for me. real fun. if anyone hasn't tried it I recommend doing so.[/quote]

I might try that today, though i dont know what that is to be honest. Ive collected all the badges and it was a let down since i didnt get anything except 10,000 dollars.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Man, this game does something that I find to be extremely annoying and its no surprise that it comes from EA.

I dont mind loosing a lot (hell I beat CODWAW on vet) but the way in which you compete against the CPU players in this game is complete ass.

I have been doing the Danny Way challenge for like 3 hours and I keep loosing. But the problem is that I never feel like I am competing against him, it just feels like the CPU is throwing out random numbers and its up to be just be lucky enough to have more at the end. For example if I do some tricks and get 15,000 points 2 seconds later the CPU will have 16,000 points. Fine, I do more tricks and get 17,500 and like clockwork the CPU will get 25,000 right after.

I guess I just would feel better if I could see what the CPU is doing to get points. I love the street contest for this reason..you can see what the 3 other CPU players are doing to get awarded points. But for a lot of these other one it seems like the game is just pulling numbers out of thin air....Danny way once got like 5,000 points for a kick flip 360.....after I only got like 2,000 for a back flip no foot.[/QUOTE]Thats just DW going through the same course as you, so when you are hitting ramps so is he. If you dont move from the start he will get points its not like he is waiting for you...

The trick to beating the DW challenge, and it's not easy mode, is to go down as fast as you can to the end ad the game cuts off his score when you finish, unlike when he finishes and you still get to trick.

Sweet new stuff...

213409.jpg

213059.flv video by anthology7 - Photobucket

Oh, thanks for the advice guy but I had already beat the DW challenge. I knew that he was on the same course and he would be doing tricks regardless but it felt less like he was doing tricks and more like it was just assigning him numbers.

I dont know it was just a feeling....but I am still enjoying the game.

[quote name='Rodimus']The 7th Number - Never tricked off that building before. How do you get up there?[/quote]

Spawn point. Its the first or second spawn point under locations.

I just got the game this evening and played for a couple hours. Lots of fun.
I have to get used to playing again. It's been a while since the first.

So is Skate 2 worth the new game price tag or could I be happy with Skate 1?

I want to get one but obviously Skate 1 is considerably cheaper but if the improvements made in Skate 2 are good enough I might just bite teh bullet and get the new and improved version. Any thoughts?

I dont think so but I didnt play skate 1.

The game is alright but not fantastic. I wouldnt play full price for it....and I didnt.

Alright so I guess I am not a skater beacuse I just cant get into this game. Its such a chore to play. This is after getting half the cheese and completing maybe...75% of the game.

I dont want to rip on the game itself because its a solid skater and I like the realistic feel but the game design is complete shit. I cant even believe there is a skate 1 when how many flaws are in this.....did they not improve anything?

No single 1 thing by itself is all that bad but the fact that the game has about 20 completely annoying designs just put it over the top.

Walking controls are barbaric. Not so bad by itself but combine that with the spotty grab controls and it becomes a nightmare to do simple things. There is no excuse for a company like EA to not be able to build walking controls in this day and age.

The challenge system is horrid. Fail, press A to restart, Are you sure you want to restart...load....3.2.1.Go. This isnt that bad until you realize you are going to most likely will be doing each challenge 5 or more times before you complete it.

Which brings me to the challenges themselves....most of them are lame and boring. There were a few that were really cool and challenging but a good portion of them are simply not fun to do and feel like they are only there to pad the games length. Once you have done 1 death race you have done them all.

The way they presented the audio in this game was extremely disappointing to me. Even at 100 half the time I couldnt even hear what song it was and when I did I was confused at why this song was even in the game in the first place. Individually the songs are fine but in a skater soundtrack they came off bland. And dont get me started on the dialogue, I have never hung out with skaters but I hope to god thats not how they actually talk.

Somewhere in there is a solid skater game but there is to much bullshit on top to give it any consideration and I cant even bring myself to finish the game.

Didnt mean to rain on anyone parade but I had to express my feelings I hope the rest of you have fun until skate 3 comes out. Good luck.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Alright so I guess I am not a skater beacuse I just cant get into this game. Its such a chore to play. This is after getting half the cheese and completing maybe...75% of the game.

I dont want to rip on the game itself because its a solid skater and I like the realistic feel but the game design is complete shit. I cant even believe there is a skate 1 when how many flaws are in this.....did they not improve anything?

No single 1 thing by itself is all that bad but the fact that the game has about 20 completely annoying designs just put it over the top.

Walking controls are barbaric. Not so bad by itself but combine that with the spotty grab controls and it becomes a nightmare to do simple things. There is no excuse for a company like EA to not be able to build walking controls in this day and age.

The challenge system is horrid. Fail, press A to restart, Are you sure you want to restart...load....3.2.1.Go. This isnt that bad until you realize you are going to most likely will be doing each challenge 5 or more times before you complete it.

Which brings me to the challenges themselves....most of them are lame and boring. There were a few that were really cool and challenging but a good portion of them are simply not fun to do and feel like they are only there to pad the games length. Once you have done 1 death race you have done them all.

The way they presented the audio in this game was extremely disappointing to me. Even at 100 half the time I couldnt even hear what song it was and when I did I was confused at why this song was even in the game in the first place. Individually the songs are fine but in a skater soundtrack they came off bland. And dont get me started on the dialogue, I have never hung out with skaters but I hope to god thats not how they actually talk.

Somewhere in there is a solid skater game but there is to much bullshit on top to give it any consideration and I cant even bring myself to finish the game.

Didnt mean to rain on anyone parade but I had to express my feelings I hope the rest of you have fun until skate 3 comes out. Good luck.[/quote]

I'll give you the walking controls and the restart system. With the walking controls though, you very rarely have to get off your board. It's not enough to knock down the game's score. It's just something they need to improve. The retry system does kind of suck, but for a lot of challenges, you can get them done within a few tries. The Pro challenges really show how much of a pain in the ass the retry system is.

The challenges themselves and whether or not they "suck" really comes down to personal opinion. This is the most fun I've had with a skating game since Tony Hawk 4. I hope the next Tony Hawk game to come out is half as fun as this game is.

The sound in the game is low on purpose. The music is there, but it's not meant to take away from the game's core element, skating.

As I said though....yeah walking controls by themselves wouldnt be enough to lower a games score but combine that with the other things I have listed and some other things I didnt it starts to be a chore.

Its true that you rarely have to get off your board but any time I did get off it instantly made me feel like I was in sega game.

Yeah any challenge would be personal opinion but I found myself asking "why" I was doing a lot of the stuff I was doing.

I knew the music was low on purpose but that isnt what really annoyed me about it. It was the actually tracks. One of the reason I really liked Tony Hawk was beacuse the music brought me into the game. I mean there was nothing like getting massive combos while listening to Greendays Basketcase back in the day.

The tracks themselves are fine in Skate 2 but......lets just say that I like the band Disturbed but they would be out of place at a kids birthday party. Nothing could make me feel further away from being a skater than listening to some shreaking metal music in the background and then 2 seconds later "lower rider." It was like everyone got to pick 1 song to have in the game.

Anyway, like I said the skating part of the game is solid but everything else to me is trash. But whatever floats your boat.

EDIT:Immersion. That is what I am thinking off. As goofy as Tony Hawk is at least it connect with you on a basic level. This game did nothing but make me feel like exactly that....like I was sitting in a chair in the living room playing a video game.

Edit 2: Couldnt take another second of this game. Sold.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a strange problem in the game. I'm trying to get the cover of thrasher achievement, but all those missions just disappeared off the challenge map?

To bad Rob's park doesn't include the foam pit.

I traded for this game and it should be here tomorrow. I can't wait, CODWAW has been pissing me off.

[quote name='orbit18']I have a strange problem in the game. I'm trying to get the cover of thrasher achievement, but all those missions just disappeared off the challenge map?[/QUOTE]Skate around New San Van a bit until you discover a couple pools. Once you find 3, you can go back to your last Thrasher challenge, complete it, and move on. There are maps if your really need them.

Edit: found the drainage service. sweet :D Also did anyone get a patch today? I wonder what it did.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where did everybody go to get the Stairmaster cheesie? I've tried skitching on cars by the waterfront (with those two giant circular stairs), but it's hard to get enough speed. It's also very frustrating to re-spawn and wait for a car EVERY TIME.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Where did everybody go to get the Stairmaster cheesie? I've tried skitching on cars by the waterfront (with those two giant circular stairs), but it's hard to get enough speed. It's also very frustrating to re-spawn and wait for a car EVERY TIME.[/quote]

I got it at the Urban Curves Own The Spot challenge. Just back up from the spawn far enough so you get enough speed to clear the stairs and 36 feet. Took me a few tries but it was pretty easy.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Where did everybody go to get the Stairmaster cheesie? I've tried skitching on cars by the waterfront (with those two giant circular stairs), but it's hard to get enough speed. It's also very frustrating to re-spawn and wait for a car EVERY TIME.[/quote]

Go to the map > Own the spot > Getting Technical.

It should start you out by the stairs i got the achievement on. To the left of where you start, is a sidewalk that you can roll down to get some speed. If you go forward and to the right, you will eventually see a big stack of stairs. Just go up to the top of the sidewalk on the left, roll down through the tunnel, and right when the tunnel ends, go a little to the left. BAM! Cant miss it.

I just got this game the other night and I am loving it. After playing the demo like 20 times I knew I had to pick it up.

I only played the demo of Skate 1 and though I really liked what I played, Skate 2 seems to have improved a lot over the original.

Downloaded the Fantasy Factory. I think it's quite good DLC for only $5. All the achievements took me less then an hour to get. The area is pretty big there are lots of spots to own/kill. Overall I am quite satisfied with my purchase.

[quote name='Mr. Pink']Downloaded the Fantasy Factory. I think it's quite good DLC for only $5. All the achievements took me less then an hour to get. The area is pretty big there are lots of spots to own/kill. Overall I am quite satisfied with my purchase.[/QUOTE]

Wait, new achievements? I may just get this, especially for five bucks.

[quote name='GenDV138']I got it at the Urban Curves Own The Spot challenge. Just back up from the spawn far enough so you get enough speed to clear the stairs and 36 feet. Took me a few tries but it was pretty easy.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, this worked like a charm. Stairmaster get!!

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']when does the retro pack release? that's what I'm waiting for.[/quote]

Community Center, Parkade, and Elementary from Skate 1.

[quote name='Mr. Pink']Community Center, Parkade, and Elementary from Skate 1.[/quote]

:lol: I didn't ask what is in it but when. no worries. someone will answer me.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']:lol: I didn't ask what is in it but when. no worries. someone will answer me.[/quote]

Oh sorry should have paid more attention #-o

Anyways the rumors are that it should be released within the next month or so. Nothing is confirmed though.

bread's done
Back