Skate 3 - May 11, 2010 - Demo Coming 4/15 - New Town, New Co-op Focus

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
http://news.ea.com/portal/site/ea/i...gId=1012492&newsId=20090915005469&newsLang=en
Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:ERTS) today revealed the next title in the company’s landmark skateboarding franchise: SKATETM 3, and confirmed that it will ship in May 2010. SKATE 3 breaks new ground by taking all of the camaraderie and competitive excitement of real-life skateboarding and brings it to the hands of gamers. Whether online or offline, players can now team up to build the ultimate skate crew in the definitive skateboarding co-op experience. In SKATE 3, players take part in team-based challenges, compete against rival crews and leave their mark on the all-new skater’s paradise, Port Carverton.

“The social and community aspects of the SKATE franchise are something we’ve always embraced, but we’ve never done anything to the scale you’re going to see in SKATE 3,” said Senior Producer, Jason DeLong. “We’re giving gamers a very unique experience by providing them with the tools they need to build their ultimate team or to create a team comprised entirely of their online friends. From there, it’s all about proving yourself – teaming up, and throwing down."

Players who pre-order SKATE 3 get an unlock code that gives them exclusive access to the iconic Black Box Distribution Skate Park, home turf of Zero, Mystery, and Fallen skate teams. Black Box Distribution was founded in 2000 by Jamie Thomas, and houses and distributes some of skateboarding’s biggest selling brands. Pre-orders are available now at http://skate.ea.com or at participating retailers nationwide.

SKATE 3 features an all-new co-op mode where teammates can complete challenges together while advancing each other’s careers. From rewarding epic bails and fails with a beefed up Hall of Meat mode to honing your craft with the all-new skate.School, players of all skill levels have multiple ways to “kill it” in the game. The franchise also continues to raise the bar for user created content with the skate.Create feature suite, an innovative toolset that empowers gamers to truly express their skate style by creating their own graphics, videos, and skate parks.

SKATE 3 is being developed by Black Box, an Electronic Arts studio. SKATE 3 will be released on PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system in May 2010.

Ugh too soon.

Skate 1 was incredibly awesome.
Skate 2 was good but clunkly and sub 60fps moments suck.

They doing the same shit that killed tony hawk with a yearly release schedule.

Give me skate 1 with a new DLC every 6 months for 1200 points with new clothes, areas, and maybe tricks instead of this milk me type of deal.

p.s. Darkslide FTW!

Loved the first two, very excited for this one.

Except for "beefed up Hall of Meat". The last thing I want to do is another 230572389057 ridiculous hall of meat challenges

[quote name='sleepy180']Ugh too soon.

Skate 1 was incredibly awesome.
Skate 2 was good but clunkly and sub 60fps moments suck.

They doing the same shit that killed tony hawk with a yearly release schedule.

Give me skate 1 with a new DLC every 6 months for 1200 points with new clothes, areas, and maybe tricks instead of this milk me type of deal.

p.s. Darkslide FTW![/QUOTE]

I will agree with the comment about the frames dipping. There were complete areas in Skate 2 that were virtually unplayable due to the inconsistency in frames.

I'm still ridiculously excited for this. One of the few games out there that is a guaranteed day one purchase for me.

I guess Skate has falllen in with EA's other sport franchises and gets a yearly installment. While I loved the last two I wonder how much can really be improved on the formula. If it's just updated co-op then that's kinda lame since I never did much of it in the first.

Still, I do love me some skate.

In all honest if the Darkslide isn't in this one then I'm probably not going to fuck with it.

Way too damn soon is a clear understatement.

I played 1 & 2 to death. I'm sure I'll do the same for this. I'll be fine if it's more of the same, just give me more insane stuff to trick off of.

Demo looked good. I suspect more of the same with a couple new online features. Nothing groundbreaking. But really is it all that much different than Madden or Tiger?

Not 100% sure, but the description mentions MP and I can't imagine that they mean local MP:
Black Box, an Electronic Arts Inc. studio (NASDAQ:ERTS) announced today that the demo for the highly-anticipated SKATE™ 3 will hit Xbox Live Marketplace and the PlayStation Network on April 15th, 2010. The demo will give players a taste of the University District in the all-new skater’s paradise of Port Carverton. Players will shred through a series of single and multiplayer challenges including Domination, Own the Lot, and the bone-crushing Hall of Meat.

In addition to the modes and challenges, players can learn the ropes or perfect their skills in the all-new Skate.School featuring Coach Frank. Gamers can also sample the all-new object dropper by using 24 different items to tweak and alter the University District to create a personalized demo experience. Once players have that perfect trick nailed, they can capture the moment with the in-game Replay Editor and upload footage of themselves with the Skate series’ immensely popular Skate.Reel.

[quote name='Puffa469']Anyone try the demo yet? I'll be downloading as soon as I get home.[/QUOTE]

Demo is time limited to 20 minutes, with no extensions. The matchmaking is very spotty at the moment, but once in a match it seems to work fine. I had a group of four other guys ditch their boards and just had an aeroplane party instead. Easily the funniest moment in any game, ever.

[quote name='Soy Bob']Demo is time limited to 20 minutes, with no extensions. The matchmaking is very spotty at the moment, but once in a match it seems to work fine. I had a group of four other guys ditch their boards and just had an aeroplane party instead. Easily the funniest moment in any game, ever.[/QUOTE]

I believe the other two games demo's also had 20 minute time limits.

I'm fine with the time limit crap as long as it lets you just jump in and play. The Skate 2 demo was crap in that you had a 20 minute time limit, and like 10-15 of those minutes were spent doing the unskippable tutorial garbage. By the time you were done you barely had over five minutes to skate around.

the raised camera seemed like a good idea.. but when i tried it, i found that i like the original camera a little more.

[quote name='Scorch']the raised camera seemed like a good idea.. but when i tried it, i found that i like the original camera a little more.[/QUOTE]

Do they give you the option to go back to the old style? I've hated all the gameplay video I've seen with the raised camera.

Skate 3 demo asks if you want the high or low camera. I played on medium and seemed a little bit more towards arcade then what i remember skate 2 being like. I will have to try hard and easy to see the differences. I was doing hall of meat in the demo and it froze on me, anyone else have this problem?

I inquire about this every time, but the lack of a response makes me think it's just me: Was anyone else turned off with how Skate 2 felt? I'm not talking about goals, objectives or anything, but the character animations. I was addicted as hell to Skate 1 (played the demo for hours, have owned several copies of the game), but when I played Skate 2 the characters just felt...more floaty in a way. It felt like there was a slightly delay combined with less weight unlike with Skate 1. I was hoping Skate 3 would remedy this, but it seems like it uses the same motion technique as Skate 2 and, as a result, will be another Skate game that I probably pass on as well.

I didn't play Skate 2 so I don't know if this is entirely new, but I was having way too much fun with the fact that you can do a jumping kick. Then I remembered how much I loved the replay editor from the first game.

[quote name='tenma']I inquire about this every time, but the lack of a response makes me think it's just me: Was anyone else turned off with how Skate 2 felt? I'm not talking about goals, objectives or anything, but the character animations. I was addicted as hell to Skate 1 (played the demo for hours, have owned several copies of the game), but when I played Skate 2 the characters just felt...more floaty in a way. It felt like there was a slightly delay combined with less weight unlike with Skate 1. I was hoping Skate 3 would remedy this, but it seems like it uses the same motion technique as Skate 2 and, as a result, will be another Skate game that I probably pass on as well.[/QUOTE]

I thought the on foot portions of Skate 2 played like crap, but I had no issues with the on board controls.

[quote name='tenma']I inquire about this every time, but the lack of a response makes me think it's just me: Was anyone else turned off with how Skate 2 felt? I'm not talking about goals, objectives or anything, but the character animations. I was addicted as hell to Skate 1 (played the demo for hours, have owned several copies of the game), but when I played Skate 2 the characters just felt...more floaty in a way. It felt like there was a slightly delay combined with less weight unlike with Skate 1. I was hoping Skate 3 would remedy this, but it seems like it uses the same motion technique as Skate 2 and, as a result, will be another Skate game that I probably pass on as well.[/QUOTE]

I kind of know what you mean. Play hardcore mode in Skate 3 though and that should fix all your problems.

[quote name='GenPirate']Wow a Skate 3? 1 and 2 sucked, how did this series get a 3rd game?[/QUOTE]

It got a third game because the first and second games did not suck.

It's all opinion of course, but your in the extreme minority with yours.

Is it just me or does the 360 demo look a bit blurry. Character and other stuff doesnt look very sharp. I havent tried the demo on PS3, is it any better?

[quote name='Soy Bob']I had a group of four other guys ditch their boards and just had an aeroplane party instead. Easily the funniest moment in any game, ever.[/QUOTE]

Hah, I had a similar moment with randoms and I doing coffin races (LT+RT+X+A) down staircases and this huge jump in Chan Center. Its a lot of fun to just screw around with people.

Does anyone know if you can change the difficulty of skating on the fly? I honestly dont know which difficulty i should pick. Wish it was like the old game where there wasnt an option. It was fine then. Unless one of the difficulties is the same as the difficulty in the past games? IDK. But hard in the demo, seemed like you could barely get any speed at all.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Does anyone know if you can change the difficulty of skating on the fly? [/QUOTE]

Not sure if you are asking in regards to the demo or the final, but, the short answer here is yes.

The normal setting is the one that most mimics the difficulty of the previous titles.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my copy yesterday from an EA store pre-order. I wasn't sure whether it would seem all that 'new', but overall it's awesome with plenty of new tweaks and modes (and I don't even have xbox live so that whole aspect is out for me). I logged about 3 hours last night, and had to quit as my thumbs were sore.

I hope Amazon cheapass shipping gets this to me before the weekend.

I can't wait to edit some vids and put em up online. I wish they would partner with Youtube and have direct to youtube vid uploads from the game.

[quote name='Super56K']I got my copy yesterday from an EA store pre-order. I wasn't sure whether it would seem all that 'new', but overall it's awesome with plenty of new tweaks and modes (and I don't even have xbox live so that whole aspect is out for me). I logged about 3 hours last night, and had to quit as my thumbs were sore.[/QUOTE]

Really? Ive played about 3-4 hours now and i dunno what to think yet, but im not thrilled with it. Ive done all the mandatory stuff, made a team, my character, and the tutorial challenges. Then i just finished all the hall of meat challenges. Just seems like there is a lack of a story. But ive been warping to each challenge for the hall of meats. Havent really explored the new city yet.

PS there was a code in my game to download the Skate Share Pack. I guess if you buy this game used you will have to buy the Skate Share Pack if you want to share photos, videos, and created parks with people, or download them.

Wow this game froze on me twice now today. Once after i tried to load one of my replays, and i only played maybe 20 minutes before i tried to load the reply. I was trying to load it cos when i made the replay and tried to upload it i got some error so it wouldnt upload it to the site. Anyone have any problems uploading replays?

[quote name='The 7th Number']Really? Ive played about 3-4 hours now and i dunno what to think yet, but im not thrilled with it. Ive done all the mandatory stuff, made a team, my character, and the tutorial challenges. Then i just finished all the hall of meat challenges. Just seems like there is a lack of a story. But ive been warping to each challenge for the hall of meats. Havent really explored the new city yet.

PS there was a code in my game to download the Skate Share Pack. I guess if you buy this game used you will have to buy the Skate Share Pack if you want to share photos, videos, and created parks with people, or download them.

Wow this game froze on me twice now today. Once after i tried to load one of my replays, and i only played maybe 20 minutes before i tried to load the reply. I was trying to load it cos when i made the replay and tried to upload it i got some error so it wouldnt upload it to the site. Anyone have any problems uploading replays?[/QUOTE]

Like all EA games, the servers will barely work for the first week as they 'experience larger than expected demand'. I swear EA's online component is run by goldfish.

Wow this is garbage. I mean their servers. Im trying to upload a graphic i made to the game. A few times it said it was sent, but i dont see it in my game, maybe i dont know where to look? But im trying again and it keeps giving me errors. Also trying to connect to your online profile through the game is very random. Finally got in. Still dont see any graphics i made. Ill probably beat the game before i can make a proper team, with graphic.

EDIT: Wow i got my graphic in my game. So it does work but takes 100 tries.

I dont like the new city much either. Seems like there isnt many good spots or big jumps, there is too much wide open space. Whenever i do new challenges i find myself in the same areas, seems very small. Skate 2 had a better city/spots.

i was debating on wether i wanted to spend the $60 on getting this game or not, do you guys mind helping me out? if i spend the money i won't be getting any more games for a while, or at leasr i'll try not to, but im not looking forward to any of the realeses coming out soon right now.

skate 2 was my favorite game for a while and i loved skating around and finding new spots to skate untill i just about found everything, is the world still as explorable?
hows the skate park maker, that looks really interesting?
only one of my friends plays skate 3 and he doesn't play much so i'll be playing alone most likly, does that make it any less fun?
i put at least 100 hours into skate 2, will this one last just as long for me?

i've been looking forward to this game, but i feel really hesitent to spend $60, especialy since it seems like every new game is droping its price extreamly quick. however i've seen a sale for almost all the new realeases except for this one, so i still don't know what to do. lol @.@

- The world is not as explorable as previous games thanks to them separating each district. You can no longer skate from one end of the map to the other. To get from one district to the next, you have to pause, open up the locations tab and then teleport in. Pretty lame if you ask me.

- The create-a-park feature is awesome. I spend most of my time in it (well, that and filming). It's really fun to just sit down and make a park. However, a lot of the user created parks online suck. Everyone basically makes the game into Tony Hawk with huge ramps and shit, gigantic funboxes, etc... If you're into that, awesome, but finding a good, realistic park for some hardcore street skating can be a pain.

- I enjoy playing alone, but like I mentioned before, I basically only film lines for videos and create parks.

- I played the hell out of Skate 1 and 2, and I feel like I'll do the same with this one. Despite the world not being one cohesive space, there are still tons of spots to skate and cool lines to find, not to mention the create-a-park feature. It shouldn't be too hard to drop many, many hours into this game.

I really liked skate 1 and 2. But skate 3 for me is a step back in the series. The game just doesnt cut it like the first two did. One thing i hate is when i go to the game map in the menu, i cant even see where i am. There is no cursor showing your location. The new city is not very good. It has some good spots, but in general i dont like it. It feels like its small. Every time i did a challenge i would skate off and within seconds im already seeing the same stuff. Plus there is a lot of ground with nothing but space in some areas.

The camera is really annoying. I play with a high camera view, and often after a while it will go automatically to a lower camera. I dont know why it does this, even if i go into the menu and put it to low, and back to high it still keeps doing it when it shouldnt.

The Hall of Meat and Death races are not as fun as past games, since the map isnt that great. I loved death races in Skate 1 and 2. Some of the challenges are annoying because it calls for a specific move, and there are times where i pulled the move off yet the game didnt recognize it. Like do a blunt grind on some sign, and i did it twice, but i didnt get rewarded for it.

There is no story to the game, they just tell you that you are starting a new brand, and you need to sell boards. To sell boards all you have to do is do random photos, challenges, and other missions or play online. Speaking of online, its terrible. Half of the online things like uploading photos, to your online profile, online team profile, and other things wont connect half the time.

Achievements are alright, after five days im only missing two of them. One is being in a free skate session with 5 other guys from your online team. So if you care about achievements and dont have many friends that play this you could miss out on this. I actually got an achievement for uploading 5 photos, 5 videos, and 3 parks when i didnt even do all of that. I was trying to upload a photo that kept giving me an error. Glitchy? There also seems to be an achievement that you unlock after the whole community reaches a certain number of board sales.

Im not trying to bash the game but i just dont like it that much. After 5 days im ready to sell it. I loved Skate 1 and 2, but this game just feels like a step back. Skate 2 was better in every way. The only thing this game does better is its online teams, and online features.... but thats only if the online actually connects.

My diagnosis.... if you still have skate 2, keep playing that. Spend 60 dollars on a game thats more deserving.

thanks a lot! i decided i'd wait till its on sale or around $30 or less. i havn't played skate 1 so i think i may pick that up, and i liked skate 2 a lot and now i want to replay that one and get the achievements im missing. i also don't have any of the dlc for skate 2 so i guess ill get that now as well.

but playing the skate 3 demo i have been able to get a lot of time out of it skating different spots and making stuipid videos, evan though its small. and with the park builder i can create what i want instead of finding it.

also in the demo i had the same problem with the camera, the low one was super annoying so i switched to the high camera, but i just went back to the low one, i was hoping that wouldn't be a problem in the game.

i was never much of a fan of hall of meat in skate 2 because i found doing all the missions (which i'm not done with) hard and sometimes annoying, but i did like the death races.

i also liked the story in skate 2, all the skaters voicing them selves made it fun, so it disapoints me theres not much of a story in the 3rd one.

but the only thing that doesn't bother me is the online problems because i used it like 3 times in skate 2 to put up videos and once to get an icon or something.

but thanks again!

bread's done
Back