Skullcandy Gaming Headsets Sale at Best Buy (SLYR and PLYR 1)

Uclagamer_99

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
I noticed that these were on sell today when I was perusing Best Buy.

PLYR 1 $144.99 $35 off, wireless, 7.1 

SLYR $59.99 $20 off white and blue colors, wired, stereo

I know people will see Skullcandy and want to write them off immediately. But I did some research it appears Skullcandy purchased Astro and these apparently are the first gaming headsets from Skullcandy where Astro helped out in the design.

See positive review on head-fi.org (headphone enthusiast site) where they speak highly of the SQ and those guys almost ALWAYS trash the SQ on gaming headsets. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/674772/summer-2013-head-fi-buying-guide-head-fi-tv

http://www.head-fi.org/products/skullcandy-plyr-1-headset-black/reviews/9685

I am intrigued. Anyone have these? And if so how do they compare to similarly priced Turtle Beaches, Trittons, Astros, etc?

Yup. Apparently they have flown under the radar. Skullcandy stopped making gaming headsets for awhile and the Astro line of headsets are still separate.

I can't find very many reviews of them. A few web reviews, a few Youtube reviews/unboxings. Thats about it. 

I have SLYR. They are comfortable, but not as good as the Logitech headset I previously had (isn't made anymore). They have lasted a few months already, so it lasts longer than Turtlebeach headsets.

I have the SLYR, but I'm not an audiophile so I can only say they sound fine to me. My cousin tried them on with his phone and said they didn't have enough bass. I'm not a bass head so I think they're fine for listening when using my iPhone.

It comes with a USB adapter that has 3 settings for Bass so you can actually bump it way up which makes movies and some games sound pretty cool. You do need the Coax AV adapter (the Red and White cables) if you want to connect it to your console and you use HDMI. I haven't had any complaints about the mic from friends when I've used it. If you're using it with XBox to chat too you will have wires everywhere since you need to connect the headphones to the USB adapter then you need to connect another cable to your controller's headset port.

if you do plan on using it for the PC just make sure that you can't have sound coming from your speakers and the headset at the same time (without buying 3rd party software). Just go into your Playback Devices and set the Skullcandy Slayer as Default and sound will go to the headset. Then when you're done playing or whatever just set your regular speakers as Default.

Some cons. I have mine hooked up to my PC + XBox since they next to each other, but I probably use it 99% of the time with my PC. The volume always starts maxed out so I have to remember to turn it down before putting it on. They don't clamp your head too much so if you nod a lot they'll slip off depending on how you position them.

I only paid around $40 for mine so I while I like them a lot I don't know how someone who's paying $20 more would feel. There are a lot of different headsets to choose from at that price.

bread's done
Back