Skullcandy or Turtle Beach Stereo Headset for 360?

blankj5

CAG Veteran
I recently found out about these stereo headsets, which allows for gameplay audio and chat audio on the headset. This is perfect for my nighttime gaming, without having to lower the audio to prevent waking up the lady.

So now, I am in the market for a stereo headset and I can't decide. I found a Turtle Beach headset, either x1 or x3, and have read some good reviews. At the same time, I am also looking at the Skullcandy Lowrider for 360, which also looks pretty awesome. Prices are 50-60 for the X1, 99 for X3(wireless), and 50 for lowrider. Prices are kind of the same for the wired versions, though wireless would be kind of cool.

Any help would be great. Thanks!

Skull Candy all the way, they can be pricey but they are worth it. They are really comfortable. Most of the time I forget I'm wearing mine.

although both sets are great, i have to agree with kurokubushi in choosing skullcandy. i use them for my games, and a have a pair of their earbuds for my ipod

If it helps in anyway, I have some Skull Candy in-ear headphones, and it is easily the best headphones I have ever had.

So, I would go with Skull Candy

I originally bought the skull candys since i have a pair for music and I hated them, they were terrible all around to me, I returned them and got the x1's alot of wires but much better overall in my opinion.

On my way home from work yesterday, I decided to check for any good deals at CC. I couldn't find any good games, nor accessories. However, I continued walking around and found a pair of the SkullCandy headsets in the radio section. Yeah, I thought it was weird too, especially when it says "FOR XBOX 360" right on the box. Final price ended up being 32 plus tax. I did test them out right when I got home, and I couldn't hear my buddy in chat. I then changed the Preferences to output using stereo, not headset and it seems to be working ok. My only complaints are that the volume is too low(even at max settings) and that the chat volume is even lower. I'm gonna give them another shot, but they'll probably end up on ebay in a few days. I'll have to give the X1 or X3 a shot.

I work for a headphone and electronics company and we have tested quite a few Skull Candy headphones, and although they look cool and are comfortable, the sound just isn't that great.

Yes, I need the mic on the headphones. I need the chat function for playing Gears. I will be placing the skullcandy set on ebay, or if anyone wants to buy them let me know. You might have better luck than me.

Also, i've tried other skullcandy products, which are pretty good stuff. I just was not satisfied with the "Skullcandy Gaming Series" or "SGS" as it is labeled.

Skullcandy headphones are too Bass-heavy for me, which drowns out voice chat. Great if you're into rap, hiphop, electronica, etc; but I don't think they'll be that great for gaming.

I don't own the 360 phones, but from what I've experienced from their product line, it might be better for you to pick up the Turtle Beach set. I tried on their old 5.1 headphone set a couple of years back, and I really like it (to an extent).

There are actually this ultra-premium "gaming headset" that was given a full backing by CAL, but I don't remember the name of it. All I remember was that it was around $250 and came with some pretty nifty features.

If you don't need a mic, then I agree with the above and go with the Grado, or the Koss PortaPro for cheaper. Best set of headphones you'll ever use (but, the PortaPro is ugly as sin...)

This past weekend, I stopped by Best Buy to pick up the Mad Catz portable drum set for $30, which are pretty cool. When strolling through the game section, I saw the entire line of Turtle Beach headphones, so I picked up the X1 for $60. I have to say that the headphones surpassed my expectations, and I would recommend to anyone looking for a pair of stereo headphones w/mic. Only complaint is that I noticed I have been screaming a lot, since I can't hear how loud I'm talking.

I own a bunch of SkullCandy products (Smokin' Buds, 2 FMJ's, and FMJ for iPhone), but it's not for the sound quality. The sound is always hollow, and the connection is easily succeptable to wear-and-tear degradation.

However, I always rock them for style, and their lifetime guarantee is great.

I would only recommend SkullCandy products if you can find them on the cheap (I got the FMJ's for $20 a pair and the iPhone set for $40 -- half MSRP for those sets). For a gaming headset, I'd suggest going with the Turtle Beach products.

I have the same problem as this guy i want to get a audio headset but i would like one for cheap around 50 bucks are there any suggestions about what to get?

I'm surprised to hear good things about Skullcandy. I've never owned any of their headphones but that's because I just assumed they were crap.

Then again some people use the headphones that come with their iPod and think they are just fine.

[quote name='MarkMan']Tritton. AX180.

Go.[/QUOTE]

That's what I have. Wired, but otherwise great.

I've had 3 pairs of different Skull Candy headphones....and they've all managed to break or stop producing sound in one ear or the other within 6-8 months.

The build quality is crap on their products, and I only bought 3 because they were on the cheap. Never buying their stuff again.

If you have other consoles besides the 360, I suggest the Tritton AXPRO's, if you can find them, since they work with all consoles that have an optical audio cable port.

I have the Sharkoons surround sound headset, which I heard are like the AXPROs but are made in Europe(but work with US Ps3/TV).

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']If you have other consoles besides the 360, I suggest the Tritton AXPRO's, if you can find them, since they work with all consoles that have an optical audio cable port.

I have the Sharkoons surround sound headset, which I heard are like the AXPROs but are made in Europe(but work with US Ps3/TV).[/QUOTE]

Lol...you think Sharkoons are made in Europe? Come on man, wake up. They're ALL made in China! Sharkoon and Tritton both purchase from the same exact manufacturer in China who just makes the two headsets look different. (The Dolby decoder boxes are identical).

As for the Tritton AXPRO, there are much better options out there. The AXPRO uses a 1990's surround sound technology that falls short when compared to the latest Dolby Headphone processing. Tritton's surround sound is extremely limited, and the same goes for Sharkoon.

Regardless, this conversation is for economical headsets. Why even bother bringing up a $170 option?

bread's done
Back