Skylanders - Impressions/Should I get it?

Hmm, so far the 3DS is far from a huge success. So, any game released for such a platform will also endure some hardship.
Using such thinking, there's no reason to spend $70.00 on a game that will likely hit the bargain bin shortly. While the other platforms may sell well, I really doubt the 3DS version will sell much at all.

It is the easiest way to get ignitor and the only way to get Dark Spyro.

So you're waiting till it gets bargain binned?

[quote name='ebucel']It is the easiest way to get ignitor and the only way to get Dark Spyro.

So you're waiting till it gets bargain binned?[/QUOTE]

I think you've already answered your own question. Yes, go overpay for it now. I'll wait for under $50.00, which should be happening either before or right after Christmas.

There are several ways to get it much cheaper - for example, this week is B2G1 at Target, and several folks have reported success getting Skylanders stuff to work with it. For sure you should be able to get starter sets included.

I got it at TRU with their B2G1. It's a fun game, so long as you don't mind paying out wads of cash to Activision for all the figures. :D

Please tell me that you only use the portal to initially put the characters in the game and that you don't literally have to keep it tethered to your system the whole time. My son and I are loving the 360 version but I thought this might be fun on the go as well as a way to pick up a few extra characters.

Does anyone know if the action figures work cross platform? So if my son has Skylanders on Xbox but his friend has it for Wii will they be able to play at each other's houses?

[quote name='Javery']Does anyone know if the action figures work cross platform? So if my son has Skylanders on Xbox but his friend has it for Wii will they be able to play at each other's houses?[/QUOTE]

Yes they do. And my understanding is that they will be at the same level when played on a different system, though I haven't had a way to test it myself. But I do know for a fact that they work.

[quote name='chriscolbert']Yes they do. And my understanding is that they will be at the same level when played on a different system, though I haven't had a way to test it myself. But I do know for a fact that they work.[/QUOTE]

Awesome thanks. This is the conversation I had last night:

Wife: "What system did you buy Skylanders for?"
Me: "The 360, why?"
Wife: "Your son's friend is getting it for Wii and I want them to be able to play together."
Me: "Tell his idiot friend's parents to buy a 360."

[quote name='Javery']Awesome thanks. This is the conversation I had last night:

Wife: "What system did you buy Skylanders for?"
Me: "The 360, why?"
Wife: "Your son's friend is getting it for Wii and I want them to be able to play together."
Me: "Tell his idiot friend's parents to buy a 360."[/QUOTE]

:applause:

Well played.

But yeah they will be able to share them across both just fine. My son will be five in April and he absolutely loves watching/playing it. It's pretty much the first game I've let him co-op with me (or play in general for that matter) and he does really well with it. He's only got five figures now but will be getting at least that many more for Christmas.

Good to know. My son will be 5 in July and he is already awesome at video games (I probably started him a little young). We play all the Lego games co-op together and he loves it. He can finish Batman and Pirates by himself now and watching him work the 360 controller is mesmerizing - he never has to look at his hands. We are working on Star Wars and Indiana Jones but I'm getting tired of the Lego theme. This will be really fun to play together and he got so excited trying out the demo at Target a few weeks ago.

[quote name='chriscolbert']Please tell me that you only use the portal to initially put the characters in the game and that you don't literally have to keep it tethered to your system the whole time.[/QUOTE]

This is correct. You use the portal to sync two figures up to the game at once. Then you can just take the 3DS with you and play whenever and wherever with no portal or figures. However, just make sure to sync them back up again before you use those same figures on a different console so you don't lose the experience gained while you were on the go.

Figures gain experience on the 3DS version crazy fast. Even faster if you use the "daily bonus" element figures. You get bonus exp if you are using at least one at the end of each level, more if you have both. The only thing is you don't get money to use to buy upgrades on the console versions with.

Well, I got the Wii version and the 3ds version of this for xmas.

and a Zelda 3DS as well.

Still looking for drill Sargent.

I have the 3ds and ps3 versions. It's a pretty fun platformer. I got lucky and found Drill Sargent, a walmart near me had nothing but him a few weeks back, but I'm still looking for Whirlwind. I'm hoping that Target will get more in soon. I find store exclusives to be rather frustrating at times.
So far my fav characters are probably Drobot and Trigger Happy.

[quote name='ebucel']Well, I got the Wii version and the 3ds version of this for xmas.

and a Zelda 3DS as well.

Still looking for drill Sargent.[/QUOTE]

Walked into a store the other day and they must have had like 15 of them, I'm surprised how these little suckers have left the stores bare when they couldn't leave the store when they were first released.

Anybody know when the next wave comes in?

bread's done
Back