Skylanders Starter Packs 50% off at Toys R Us!

o0achilles0o

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Title says it all. Brings the starter packs down to $34.98

Great deal for those wanting to get sucked into the best marketing scheme in the history of video games.

This sale started today and I haven't seen it pasted. Don't shoot me if it was posted already, I'm on my iPhone and the mobile site doesn't have a search function.

http://www.toysrus.com/search/index...ylanders+starter&f=Taxonomy/TRUS/2254197&sr=1

Last edited by a moderator:
Kids love it (and i have fun with it too)...really nice because their mom has Wii and i have ps3 (yeah had to buy two games, but the figures transfer)...great game for separate houses...wonder how that ad campaign would go

lol

[quote name='Toss']I bought some NCAA basketball 10 at TRU last week and was told a story by the cashier about some guys who clears out the skylanders. He said he has bought as much as $9000+ worth of gaming stuff on his paypal credit/debit card at once and sells them in the middle east.This is the second time around here, tha I've heard of some guy selling gaming stuff in or to the middle east market. Last time it was at target about a year and a half ago regarding 360s. Gotta be the same guy.[/QUOTE]

Damn...it looks good on their books. Maybe he should make an account on here, and call himself The Transporter.

[quote name='dragonjud']The 'real' game is mostly for the consoles. The 3DS game is a very, very generic platformer. If you want a complete set, then by all means get it, but do not get just the 3ds version.[/QUOTE]

Nah, not looking to play it on 100 different consoles. If that's the case, I'll probably get it for the Wii as it's my second most played. Tho if that's also a bad idea, PS3 it is.

SI

[quote name='confoosious']I liked the 3ds version. I have the xbox version too.[/QUOTE]

Don't know about lugging the portal to play Skylanders on my 3DS.

You don't need to bring the portal with you - you scan two skylanders into the system and they stay there until you are ready to bring in a different one. I found the game on the 3DS very well done and enjoyable. No streetpass though :(

Buy a console version then 2 people can play. The 3ds version is different than the consoles. It almost feels light, like DLC, after completing the ps3 version. The 3ds lacks the theatrics of the main console story. Buy a console version then buy the 3ds and 3ds portal on ebay or amazon for cheap and reuse the powered up characters from the main game.

Has anyone submitted this to amazon? I decided I didn't want to chance them going out of stock, so just ordered it from TRU, but if amazon matches I'll see if I can cancel my TRU order and re-order through amazon for no tax and free shipping. I just submitted it myself.

The only downside of buying the 3ds game and portal alone is that there's no way you'll find the 3 figures that come with the 3DS version for under $35. So you may as well pick up the starter instead of buying it piecemeal. As far as I know, dark spyro will always be exclusive to that pack and the flame dude will be released later and stealth elf is just an awesome character design.

Went to my Sears today and pricematched the 360 and 3DS versions. I was shocked they even had them cuz I've never seen them at Sears before

[quote name='crunchewy']Has anyone submitted this to amazon? I decided I didn't want to chance them going out of stock, so just ordered it from TRU, but if amazon matches I'll see if I can cancel my TRU order and re-order through amazon for no tax and free shipping. I just submitted it myself.[/QUOTE]

I would like to buy skylanders at the tru price from Amazon too. How do you get them to pm?

So, someone who has played multiple versions, can I get a quick little comparison between the following?
3DS
Wii
PS3

Near as I can tell from looking, the 3DS is more of a platformer while the home console versions are dungeon crawlers, sort of.

It looks like the Wii/PS3 are a bit deeper games. The figures you get for the 3DS are better, tho, but not enough to make up for the difference in gameplay.

Can you do 2 player with the Wii/PS3?

I'm not looking to go nuts grabbing all 30 characters but just play with the 3 starters. Is there a difference between experience there on different systems?

SI

[quote name='sterlingice']So, someone who has played multiple versions, can I get a quick little comparison between the following?
3DS
Wii
PS3

Near as I can tell from looking, the 3DS is more of a platformer while the home console versions are dungeon crawlers, sort of.

It looks like the Wii/PS3 are a bit deeper games. The figures you get for the 3DS are better, tho, but not enough to make up for the difference in gameplay.

Can you do 2 player with the Wii/PS3?

I'm not looking to go nuts grabbing all 30 characters but just play with the 3 starters. Is there a difference between experience there on different systems?

SI[/QUOTE]

Let me see:
1. Yes, the Home version is more of a dungeon crawler/collectathon.
2. The figures for the 3DS are not better (just different). There's a single unique figure included in the 3DS that cannot be found anywhere else at the moment (rumored to be released in April as a standalone)
3. Yes, it's a 2 player game for the consoles.
4. You need all 7 elements to see every single area in the game, but it is not necessary to finish the game. A few more characters (beyond the 3) would be slightly useful for the last battle (no spoilers).

[quote name='giggle8803']I would like to buy skylanders at the tru price from Amazon too. How do you get them to pm?[/QUOTE]

It's not exactly a PM. You submit the price and hope they pay attention. LOL. Go to the item on amazon, then scroll down a bit (or search on the page for) the " tell us about a lower price" link. Click it. Fill out the form. Submit.

You'll want to copy the URL of the item on tru.com to paste into that form.

[quote name='sterlingice']I'm not looking to go nuts grabbing all 30 characters but just play with the 3 starters. Is there a difference between experience there on different systems?[/QUOTE]

The 3DS is completely different. It is a single player jumping platformer. Your character levels are all that matter, you gain abilities and more hp by leveling and the level number is all that transfers over. There is a "daily bonus" of experience for finishing a level using a Skylander of one of the two selected elements of the day, you can tell which two it is by the circle at the starting point. It is a lot of fun, but only if you don't mind jumping games. There are crystals that you gather for earning achievements during the levels, like "don't eat food" or "gather XX totems", etc. There are two types of levels, basic get to the end type levels, and challenges where you have to fight in an arena like setting, both types have 5 crystals to gather in various ways. There are 5 hubs, each of a different environment type (ice, forest, etc), each has 3 "get to the end" and 2 "arena" levels. You have to play through each several times to get all of the crystals (although you can earn multiple in 1 trip, it is impossible to do it in less than 2 trips). The last level is a combination of the two types in a single level. Adventure packs open 1 new arena and 1 new scrolling level, with a completely new type of environment (not retreads of the others). Skylanders have different abilities, more self sufficient in nature.

The Wii/PS3/360 version can be most closely compared to a streamlined Diablo. The Wii was the lead platform, but the graphics are a bit sharper on the PS3/360. The Wii version seems to run a bit more smoothly at the cost of lower def, and uses waggling of the remote (the other two just the right stick). You have character levels (which increase hitpoints), abilities (which you buy with gold you collect), a branching skill tree you can choose for each character to focus on one of two specific abilities and special skills for each path, and stats which can be raised by finding hats or doing challenge levels. Normal levels are Diablo type levels, with story points, an occasional puzzle or target shooting section, a few secret items (hats, story scrolls or locked upgrades for each of the 37 characters), and a boss type encounter on some levels. There are 22 standard levels and they are themed, usually two or three levels per theme. The adventure packs unlock 1 new level each using variations on existing themes, but the objectives tend to be a lot different (like world shifting between ghost and real world for Darklight Crypt) and they are quite a bit longer than standard levels. There are some hub level puzzles, as well as access to NPCs that give you access to upgrades/challenge levels/etc. Each Skylander unlocks a challenge level that can be played by any character to augment your stats. Those are single player levels that are usually things like kill XX monsters in XX seconds, or find XX items, etc. You also have player versus player arenas that are a blast, adventure packs open one new arena each.

If you have both the 3DS and a console version you can unlock adventure packs in both. Skylanders can be shared, but only levels transfer into the 3DS since it doesn't use gold. You don't lose gold, it just doesn't show up or do anything in that version - but it will still be there when you go back to console. It is much faster to level in the 3DS, but all that will give you is more HP in the console version - you still have to buy skills. The same hats exist in both versions (and can be earned in either) but do nothing more than looks in the 3DS.

Characters are very different from one another (except for the Legendary/Dark version of others), not simply skins. It takes some practice to get the hang of some of them, but ALL of them have value in certain situations (not essential, but they make certain tasks easier). The console version is great in two player, because some characters are fairly weak solo, but complete monsters when paired with other types. For example Prism Break alone is challenging, but paired with a melee like Chop Chop you can shred legions of enemies.

Stats are stored automatically on console, if you move the character the game pauses until you put it (or another one) back. In the 3DS, you load two in and you have them till you go back to the guy to replace them. You have to reload the same character to "save" earned levels back on the 3DS. If you level a character on the 3DS, then go and play it on console, the level transfers back, but if for some reason the level is out of sync from what you had last time you played the 3DS and when you try to load it again it will assume the higher of the two values. The console takes what is saved as the level. In other words, your 3DS remembers the highest level you have achieved in that version for that character. The console version just knows which ones you have loaded before on the collection list, you can have duplicate of Gil Grunt at level 4, 6 and 8, and loading each will be that level. If Gil Grunt is 8 in the 3DS and you load a level 4 one Gil Grunt will be level 8.

All in all, the games complement each other well, I personally feel it's not an either/or choice. And having both means every character and adventure pack expands TWO games instead of one.

[quote name='sterlingice']Thanks to dragonjud and defpally for the help. However, that makes it even more indecisive for me than ever :)[/QUOTE]

Simple answer: PS3/Wii first, pick the controller you would rather play with and go with that. There is simply more game to it, and the co-op is a blast. If you have money left over, then get the 3DS as well, it's great on the go, but not nearly as meaty. I wouldn't buy the 3DS instead of console unless I only had to play it on the go.

[quote name='sterlingice']Does the classic (or Gamecube) controller work on Wii version? Or does the Wiimote feel natural and not forced?[/QUOTE]

Not sure, but doubt it on the Gamecube controller, since you have to waggle to open chests and do actions (you might use the pointer in the target shooting). I prefer the controller (I have it on XBox, a neighbor on Wii) because it is more of an action game and a traditional controller suits that better and the target shooting areas aren't so challenging that you need pointer accuracy/speed. You still have to "waggle" the right stick to open things.

One other thing, the Wii portal is wireless and uses batteries, the XBox is USB cable. Not sure on the PS3. The 3DS is infared with batteries, you point the back of the system at it to load.

yay, found a tru with the 3ds pack so i went and picked it up.
already found a grandma off cl to buy the game/portal for $20 cuz her grandson has skylanders on wii and so she can play with those figures. woot everyone wins.
now can't wait til 3/21 to pick up cynder, drobot and prism break ;)

/i should start the game sometime...

i just wish the characters/figures were treated more like dlc and included a few trophies. there is no way to really show off your collection as you can get 100% plat with just the starter pack. its also crazy that I wouldnt pay $5 each for these if they were online dlc but people (myself included) pay $10+ for them in the real world. kids make you do crazy stuff :)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='crunchewy']It's not exactly a PM. You submit the price and hope they pay attention. LOL. Go to the item on amazon, then scroll down a bit (or search on the page for) the " tell us about a lower price" link. Click it. Fill out the form. Submit.

You'll want to copy the URL of the item on tru.com to paste into that form.[/QUOTE]

Ooooo that was easy! Did it. Thankyou!

[quote name='defpally']
The Wii/PS3/360 version can be most closely compared to a streamlined Diablo. .[/QUOTE]

Do not even mention this game and compare it to one of the best games of all time. This nothing like diablo.

This is more like a spyro\mario game on the game cube. Dialog that you can not skip and have to see it every time.

It is for kids.

[quote name='BegFourMercy']Do not even mention this game and compare it to one of the best games of all time. [/QUOTE]Settle down, Diablo wasn't even the best game of 96. They're clearly comparing the genre, not quality.

[quote name='mikejenks']Settle down, Diablo wasn't even the best game of 96. They're clearly comparing the genre, not quality.[/QUOTE]

how dare you compare today to 96. 1996 was the best year of all time. 2012 is for kids.

@BegFourMercy - Relax francis. Adults can enjoy these games too.

Stopped at TRU yesterday and saw the Skylanders display. The whole darn thing was cleared out. Nothing on the pegs. They had starter sets, but nothing else. There was a sign telling people to come back on March 21st for more Skylanders. Unbelievable how popular this is.

Love how someone feels threatened by comparing genres together. Skylander, while mainly marketed toward children, can be enjoyed by adults also. It's great for couch co op with a spouse who isn't into the more demanding co op games (which is the sole reason I bought it, apart from collecting the figures). Kirby's Epic Yarn is also another amazing couch co op game btw.

[quote name='BegFourMercy']Do not even mention this game and compare it to one of the best games of all time. This nothing like diablo.

This is more like a spyro\mario game on the game cube. Dialog that you can not skip and have to see it every time.

It is for kids.[/QUOTE]

LOL, because EVERYONE must think exactly the same as you do. If you cannot see the similarity, your own nostalgia is getting in the way.

By the way, you can skip a good bit of the dialog when you go back to the levels, it just makes you watch it the first time. But, you know, un-skippable dialog is the thing that makes or breaks a game. Not gameplay, or graphics, or fun, or something trivial like that.

And I feel sorry for you if you aren't able to enjoy a fun game simply because it is targeted at kids. Mario is for kids too. So is Mario Kart. And Super Smash Bros. And pretty mush every first party Nintendo game. People used to say ALL video games were targeted at kids.

I could see how one could make the arguement that it's a dungeon crawler like Diablo but the feel is so different my brain would never make that connection on it's own. I also don't see how anyone can compare this to Spyro - even though he's in the game - as it isn' ta platformer. There isn't even a jump button unless you get the 3DS version - and that really is an entirely different game, it's all jumping all the time. This game feels and plays a lot like Disney Univserse, only it's good. Really any world wandering game like The INcredibles Rise of th eUnderminer, even Lilo and Stitch on th ePS1 could be compared to this. Doesn't make them th esame though. There aren't too many other games I can think of where you can use 37 different characters at any given point in the game.
And for those who want to label it a "kids" game, well it does seem a bit kiddie, but it i snon-stop violence. I don't think Dr. Spock would approve, or PBS. The final boss is also a bit difficult for kids. If you want a kids game play Dora's Purple Planet or Diego Animal Rescue games - those are kid games. Pokepark 2 is also a kids game, so much so my 7 year old won't even play it, too boring, he'ld rather kill things in Skylanders. My 9 yr. old loves Pokepark but doesn't like Skylanders, too much mindless button mashing for him. They are both boys so it's not a gender issue.

There is a 6 year-old girl I know who was counting pennies to buy the starter set. It broke my heart to tell her that it cost 70 dollars and not 70 cents. She didn't cry but you could tell she working hard not to.

Original Poster, you just made her day. Thank you.

[quote name='sylveranking']Love how someone feels threatened by comparing genres together. Skylander, while mainly marketed toward children, can be enjoyed by adults also. It's great for couch co op with a spouse who isn't into the more demanding co op games (which is the sole reason I bought it, apart from collecting the figures). Kirby's Epic Yarn is also another amazing couch co op game btw.[/QUOTE]

I feel even better about picking up the Wii version now because I was hoping this was a good spouse game

SI

Caved in and bought the last 360 version they had in my TRU. So far a few hours in and the game is pretty enjoyable and the toys look nicely crafted. I totally get now why they want you to buy the other packs, which I'm tempted to now haha.

Got it thank you OP!!! I had been waiting for a price drop. My kids love it and I like it too. Got it for the PS3.

What is this about the 3ds version being $10 on amazon? I would buy it just so I could get Stealth Elf.

Have the prices gone up everywhere for the characters? They used to be $7.99, but it seems most places they are $10.

[quote name='natewaites']Got it thank you OP!!! I had been waiting for a price drop. My kids love it and I like it too. Got it for the PS3.

What is this about the 3ds version being $10 on amazon? I would buy it just so I could get Stealth Elf.

Have the prices gone up everywhere for the characters? They used to be $7.99, but it seems most places they are $10.[/QUOTE]

People are paying around $15 for the 3DS version, but just the game and portal. Resellers are grabbing the full starter pack, pulling out the 3 figures and selling them for ridiculous prices. Stealth elf currently sells for $15 loose, Dark Spyro is $9 and Ignitor is $25 loose ... so for $35 in store, it makes way more sense to just buy a new starter set at TRU unless you really don't like those 3 characters (who imo are cooler than the characters in the console starter sets).

[quote name='natewaites']
What is this about the 3ds version being $10 on amazon? I would buy it just so I could get Stealth Elf. [/QUOTE]

It's not the whole starter pack. Just the portal and the game.

[quote name='zubalove']There is a 6 year-old girl I know who was counting pennies to buy the starter set. It broke my heart to tell her that it cost 70 dollars and not 70 cents. She didn't cry but you could tell she working hard not to.

Original Poster, you just made her day. Thank you.[/QUOTE]

Dang, you about made me cry.

[quote name='zubalove']There is a 6 year-old girl I know who was counting pennies to buy the starter set. It broke my heart to tell her that it cost 70 dollars and not 70 cents. She didn't cry but you could tell she working hard not to.

Original Poster, you just made her day. Thank you.[/QUOTE]

If that six year old girl... you? :cry:

[quote name='confoosious']If that six year old girl... you? :cry:[/QUOTE]

if she is she plays portal so she just might be the coolest 6yr old girl who ever lived.

[quote name='jeebert']Wouldn't you say there's a six year old girl inside all of us?[/QUOTE]

Not if you want to stay out of the sex offender registry :shock:

great, now I'm am owner of skylanders....it's only downhill from here. I'm never gonna be able to say no from here on out when the 5yr I old and I walk through electronics anymore am I?

[quote name='shadowkast']great, now I'm am owner of skylanders....it's only downhill from here. I'm never gonna be able to say no from here on out when the 5yr I old and I walk through electronics anymore am I?[/QUOTE]
Thats right :lol:

bread's done
Back