Skylanders - Toys brought to life, Cross-platform Connectivity *Giants Out Now*

Not to sound too stupid but what image do you scan?
placeholder%20320x100.png

Does anybody know offhand if the "High Five" Frito Lay bags also come with any coupons for the starter packs like when they did the promo before?

Thanks

Ooh, I found a Skylanders thread finally :)

Waiting for Black Friday or equivalent to get the starter for

Last edited by a moderator:
The local Best Buy had the dark edition mistagged at $74.99. It rang up at $99.99, but the cashier overrode it. After GCU and tax it was $64.

Pretty good deal. Now to wait on a B2G1 deal on figures.

I know I am super behind on everything, I haven't played Skylander's since the first. I have all the games except Trap Team, lots of figures and such, but haven't had time to play. 

Anyhow, I want to get started again after I get Trap Team… I'm really hoping the dark edition has a decent sale this year since it is more widely available.

My question is, do I need a giant for each element for Skylander's Giants? I know the original you needed one of each element to open everything and from what I have heard you need a swappable character and a trap master of each element to unlock every part of their game. So I guess they changed it so that you have to buy the specific characters and can't use the ones you had? However, I never heard if that was the case for the giants because I haven't heard.

So are the locked areas in all the games after the original requiring the game specific character to be unlocked?

I hope that makes sense… I don't know why I can't explain things :p

Thanks!!

You only need 1 giant figure for any area that requires a giant no matter what element it is. I played through Giants and unlocked all areas using Tree Rex that came with the portal owners pack and using all Series 1 regular figures for the areas locked by element.

I know I am super behind on everything, I haven't played Skylander's since the first. I have all the games except Trap Team, lots of figures and such, but haven't had time to play.
You're going to be very happily surprised. Every sequel of the game is better than the previous (I haven't tried Trap Team yet, but re:the first four games it applies). The first one was good, but it had its flaws, most notably unskippable cut scenes when you're trying to get certain achievements that require perfect boss fights.

Speaking of Trap Team, I accidentally bought the game today!!!

TRU has the best deal, giving your choice of any Trap Master for free. I went with the last Wallop left in the store, then I signed up for their credit card to get an instant 15% off the game ($63.74), then they gave me a Legendary Treasure Preorder Edition of the game which had a coupon inside for a free SSA Adventure Pack (says $24.99, but we all know they're only $9.99 now). I'll be picking up the Sunburn pack when I go back again.

If I was planning on buying a Trap Master (which I wasn't at the regular real MSRP $14.99 price), and the Sunburn Pack (which I actually was for $10), then you can CAGify my final cost to be $38.74 + tax, but even $64 base cash is good enough to not wait for Black Friday.

Fantastic, thanks so much for the information! I may ask for a few Giants and Swapforce Characters for Christmas since I am pretty sure they will be cheap by then. Otherwise it is good to know I don't need them for the game.

So did I misread that I need them for Swap Force and Trap Team?

That is good to know Kerig, I hadn't paid much attention. To me it seems like Giants didn't get quite as much love, no adventure packs, etc. so it is good to know the games get better. I loved the first one, I hope I have enough time to actually play it again so I can play the entire series. Trap Team is really killing me cause the game looks amazing. 

Nice job on getting the game, I certainly wouldn't pass up a deal like that either. I got the Wii U and 3DS versions of Swap Force during the pre-Black Friday sales last year for $37. I'm hoping they do something like that again, otherwise I will just keep collecting the figures and traps until I can find a deal on the game, since it will be a while till I can play anyway. I would really like the Dark Edition Kaos, other than that I'm fine with the regular set and prefer food fight in the regular version. But if they have a good deal I might have to get the dark editions once. 

Also, as a side question, has anyone had any great ideas for storing the traps in a unique way. I know they make the boxes, but they are not as nice as I had hoped, so I was hoping for others ideas?

Thanks again!

Also, as a side question, has anyone had any great ideas for storing the traps in a unique way. I know they make the boxes, but they are not as nice as I had hoped, so I was hoping for others ideas?
I picked up an Adventure Time Pencil Case on clearance at TRU for 98cents. It holds my 7 traps perfectly, with room to spare for at least another 7 that I won't be buying. It looks similar to this:

71wJxafFl%2BL._SL1500_.jpg
What time is it? Katamari Adventure Trap Time!

If by store you mean display, the game itself comes with an ok cardboard tray with slots for every trap.

Thanks for the idea. That might work out well since I store all my gaming stuff upstairs in my game room, but have my Wii U on the larger TV downstairs. So sometimes it can be a hassle to move everything. The little cardboard tray they include is nice, but since I will be moving things around it won't work. Something smaller may be nice to move a couple to play with. I do want to get them all, so maybe the $20 boxes will be my only option… I will keep looking!

Thanks again for the idea though…that might be just what I need temporarily. 

For our frozen friends up north:
https://www.ebgames.ca/Wii%20U/Games/712718/biogenik-skylander-character-selector

These are only sold at EBGames in the frozen tundra known as Canada - and they're selling them now at $10 each.

Just got mine in the mail today from an Eskimo friend who shipped me a pair. Very neat item. Works with Wii U (as well as all the other systems listed - 360, PS3, Wii - I assume it works with PS4/XBO). Works with all four games, although the SWAP Force and Trap Team portals are bigger than it is designed for. I came up with a great work around...

20141018_220235_zpsqwzdleuu.jpg

Works perfect if you put the portal under the pad. Obviously, the traps still have to be swapped out and such...

Neat item. Not wholly necessary - but for $10, why not? :D

You're going to be very happily surprised. Every sequel of the game is better than the previous (I haven't tried Trap Team yet, but re:the first four games it applies). The first one was good, but it had its flaws, most notably unskippable cut scenes when you're trying to get certain achievements that require perfect boss fights.

Speaking of Trap Team, I accidentally bought the game today!!!

TRU has the best deal, giving your choice of any Trap Master for free. I went with the last Wallop left in the store, then I signed up for their credit card to get an instant 15% off the game ($63.74), then they gave me a Legendary Treasure Preorder Edition of the game which had a coupon inside for a free SSA Adventure Pack (says $24.99, but we all know they're only $9.99 now). I'll be picking up the Sunburn pack when I go back again.

If I was planning on buying a Trap Master (which I wasn't at the regular real MSRP $14.99 price), and the Sunburn Pack (which I actually was for $10), then you can CAGify my final cost to be $38.74 + tax, but even $64 base cash is good enough to not wait for Black Friday.
Hey Kerig that coupon that came in the Trap Force starter pack for the free SSA Adventure pack did it happen to have an expeiration date on it? We picked this up for one of my sons xmas gifts and they still had some with the Legendary Treasure Editions left.

Thanks

Hey Kerig that coupon that came in the Trap Force starter pack for the free SSA Adventure pack did it happen to have an expiration date on it? We picked this up for one of my sons xmas gifts and they still had some with the Legendary Treasure Editions left.
Yes, it does. I was worried it might have already expired when I bought it since it's technically a pre-order bonus, but it has an expiration sometime in mid-November (21st IIRC). DEFINITELY open it up (just one piece of tape on the box) and redeem the coupon or it'll be worthless.

I was just talking about that to someone the other day, how there will be many disappointed kids/parents who bought the starter with the Legendary Treasure to find that it expired a month before the holidays. I wouldn't be surprised if come January, TRU issues an extension with an apology for it. The coupon is a large postcard found inside the main packaging, should be under the traptanium tray with the poster; it also has a code to use online to enter into the grand prize drawing.

I got some SSA figures at five below today for $5 each. They had Camo, lightning rod, warnado, Dino rang and hex. Most of these I have seen recently at TRU for 10.99 each.

Just out of curiosity… I was at Gamestop the other day and found the E3 life trap. 

So I know it already has the character trapped. Is this a character that can be trapped from the game anyway? I know Target has an exclusive one as well, so I'm not sure if there is any reason to buy these traps over the regular ones?

The life trap seems like the regular version, so i this any better than the regular one?

Anyhow, I want to get started again after I get Trap Team… I'm really hoping the dark edition has a decent sale this year since it is more widely available.

My question is, do I need a giant for each element for Skylander's Giants? I know the original you needed one of each element to open everything and from what I have heard you need a swappable character and a trap master of each element to unlock every part of their game. So I guess they changed it so that you have to buy the specific characters and can't use the ones you had? However, I never heard if that was the case for the giants because I haven't heard.

So are the locked areas in all the games after the original requiring the game specific character to be unlocked?

I hope that makes sense… I don't know why I can't explain things :p

Thanks!!
You can always use the Skylanders you already had, although each game has places where you need the new "gimmick" characters (Giants, Swappers, etc.). In Giants, you need to have, at least, one giant to get 100%. For Swap Force, you don't have to have a swapper of every element, if you know how to get around it. There are dual elemental gates where you have to have both elements to open the gate. Having the swappers of those elements to combine would make it easier, but you can add another player and use two different characters of those elements, then sign the other character out. The main thing you need for Swap Force to get 100% is to have a swapper of every ability (climbing, stealth, etc.) to open up the bonus stages. You don't have to do those to complete the game, but you do to do everything in the game. Trap Team, however, you can only open the elemental gates with a Trap Master of that element. That's really upset a lot of people, so hopefully they'll change that for the next game.

You can always use the Skylanders you already had, although each game has places where you need the new "gimmick" characters (Giants, Swappers, etc.). In Giants, you need to have, at least, one giant to get 100%. For Swap Force, you don't have to have a swapper of every element, if you know how to get around it. There are dual elemental gates where you have to have both elements to open the gate. Having the swappers of those elements to combine would make it easier, but you can add another player and use two different characters of those elements, then sign the other character out. The main thing you need for Swap Force to get 100% is to have a swapper of every ability (climbing, stealth, etc.) to open up the bonus stages. You don't have to do those to complete the game, but you do to do everything in the game. Trap Team, however, you can only open the elemental gates with a Trap Master of that element. That's really upset a lot of people, so hopefully they'll change that for the next game.
Thanks for the info… I never thought of doing that with Swap Force, but that is a great idea. I may still get some swappable characters since they are still hanging around and most of them are dropping in price. Giants are a little harder to find, so my collection may be done with them.

Thanks again!

Trap Team, however, you can only open the elemental gates with a Trap Master of that element. That's really upset a lot of people, so hopefully they'll change that for the next game.
An added slap in the face is that literally the only thing behind any of the Trap Master walls is a hat. That's it. $14.99-$16.99 per figure to unlock a few extra hats. Fortunately, the trap aspect is so cool that it's completely enough to pull all the weight of the game just fine. Being able to instantly switch out a baby level 2 Big Gulp Pop Fizz on his last breath with a Chef Pepper Jack to destroy everyone, grabbing XP for Pop Fizz and keeping him alive at the same time is a game changer.

I posted in the AWD thread, but it'll be better served here: Cheap swappers:

Fire Kraken, Stink Bomb, Doom Stone, Etc. $5-$7.50 each (Amazon)

For those not familiar, Amazon Warehouse Deals like these usually mean brand new items but the packaging is somewhat damaged/missing.

ALSO, now that I've had some time with Trap Team: I really, really miss Giants and the original Skystones game. The new Skystones Blast is awful. Come to think of it, I liked the level design in Giants the most as well. I didn't realize that both Wilikin Village and The Oracle were in Giants until a few days ago, those are the two most memorable levels in the franchise to me. Too bad the Giants characters themselves are so slow and cumbersome...and they can't jump until Swap Force.

EXTRA GRIPE: Why did they bring back character collision in Trap Team???? I can't stand being stuck in a corner because Wallop is blocking my path, Swap Force got rid of it and it felt great. Now we're pushing and shoving each other through some of the tighter levels.

Skystones was pretty much my favorite Skylanders thing ever. My son went so far as to create a paper version. I still think it could work as a standalone game.

Thanks for the info… I never thought of doing that with Swap Force, but that is a great idea. I may still get some swappable characters since they are still hanging around and most of them are dropping in price. Giants are a little harder to find, so my collection may be done with them.

Thanks again!
You can usually find most of the Giants at TRU. The only one that's fairly hard to find is Crusher...maybe Swarm. I know, for sure, Crusher, as I've been there before and had a kid looking for them. My son had an extra that he got for his birthday (we tried to keep him from opening it so he could exchange it for something else, but he didn't listen) that he never played with. We offered to give it to them, but they ended up getting one, somehow, before we could reconnect. I know I've seen plenty of Ninjinis (and remember when those were going for a lot when she first came out :) ). I haven't really been looking closely at them since I got Ninjini (which was right after she came out early last year), so I can't be sure, exactly, how hard each is to find.

Thanks for posting the AWD links. Might pick up a few of those Swap Force characters. Either that or see if there are any upcoming deals for Black Friday. 

Skystones was pretty much my favorite Skylanders thing ever. My son went so far as to create a paper version. I still think it could work as a standalone game.
Skystones would be great as a physical game. You just need double-sided cardboard tiles so that they can be physically flipped from one player to the other. I would buy it. They could even make a starter pack with the board and blind booster packs. Such a missed opportunity.

I read that the new 3DS Trap Team game brought back the old (good) Skystones in that version of the game instead of the new inferior smash.

K-mart has B1G1Free on all Swap Force and Giants figures this week.

If you have used game stores (not Gamestop...yet...) in your area, they most likely have used ones as well. I that's where I bought Boomer for $5 a few weeks ago. They also had Stink Bomb for $40 :oldman: . I straight out asked them what's with their pricing, and all they said was "it's based on supply and demand".

Someone on SD posted that their local FYE stores were clearancing out older Skylanders games and figures for 75% off. Worth checking out if you have one near you. YMMV naturally. Going to check a local store by me in a bit. 

My trip to FYE was a bust - nothing of note there at all between the two stores I stopped by. Hoping for some $5 or less Swap-Able Skylander figures for Black Friday. 

hi all

Was thinking about getting the dark edition for trap team starter for xbox one for my son for xmas at bb (gcu 20% off).

Curious if anyone has seen any deals for the dark edition? I do not see any BF deals.

thanks in advance.

I haven't seen the dark edition in stock at any stores nearby so that limits the deals they will have on it. Best buy or TRU might have a couple copied per store along with GS but if you want the dark edition it looks like you will have to order online.

My local Best Buy had a large display of the Dark Edition, but all the tags showed $74.99. It rang up $99.99, but they honored the shelf price, so $60 after GCU.

It seems to be the easiest of the games thus far. My six-year-old finished it in about 12 hours and has beat it twice since. Guess I need to be on the lookout for the extra levels.

So, from what I can see, the main diff. between the dark and reg. editions (besides the repainted figs.) is the Kaos trap that's included. is that it? I don't have either one, and was planning on waiting for a sale on the dark, but that seems kind of crazy now. 

At the time of release, it was the only way to get the Kaos trap. It's released separately now, not that I've seen it in the wild. It's the only trap that can trap the main villain of the games.

It might be impossible to get a kaos trap, I would just get a dark starter pack to avoid the eBay markup on kaos traps.

FYI you basically NEED a kaos trap to play this game, if you don't have it you will go through the battle with kaos and not be able to capture him. Also you will have to re-do the battle if you eventually find the trap and want to catch him.

I've got a bit limited time on Trap Team, but my six-year-old has beat it twice. I asked and he told me that all villains are trapped when you beat them, whether you have the appropriate trap or not. Then when you do get the trap you can go to an area in the hub world to swap out the baddies into the appropriate traps.

bread's done
Back