Skylanders - Toys brought to life, Cross-platform Connectivity *Giants Out Now*

[quote name='dragonjud']3. Stopped at Target, and the only thing to note is that the 'Granite' crusher was indeed in smaller quantity than all other figures.[/quote]

I definitely saw the opposite here. I stopped in Target on the way to TRU around 11:00 AM. Unless I missed something, the Giants were not a big deal there. The normal Skylanders area had the same assortment of older singles and 3-packs they had last week (and which looked untouched since then), On one single endcap they had the Starter Packs and one single cardboard tray with the Giants. That consisted of about 3-4 of each type but then 12 or more Granite Crushers. So they probably had more Granite Crushers than all the others combined. And I didn't see any new single figures at all (Series 2, lightcores, or new ones). Maybe I missed something, but if so they designed it badly because I went to the Skylanders section and checked the whole front of the Electronics area (as well as the whole cashier section up front) and never saw them. I was in a hurry, though, since everyone was waiting in the car.

Then at TRU they had 2 sections of Skylanders and at first I was a bit disappointed because while they had Legendary Bouncer, the only other one they had was Crusher and I didn't want to get a second one of those since I just got the Granite Crusher from Target. By the way, for those who don't know, Granite Crusher actually shows up with that name in the game - so it isn't just a paint job on the same figure. That is nice at least.

So, I thought I was out of luck for the B1G1 40% unless I wanted a lightcore or something. But then on the other side I found Swarm. So now I have to return the Swarm, Crusher, and Bouncer I bought at Fred Meyer this morning ;).

But they did not have a single new small figure at TRU. Though perhaps I should have asked - they might simply have not been restocking the shelves enough. It looked like the shelves were full but it was all lightcores and Series 2 figures - so maybe they didn't realize they were out. The only missing spot was where the new Legendary 3-pack had been. So I thought I missed out on those. But while we looked at other stuff, they restocked those so I was able to get that pack. I was actually going to skip it but the kids wanted it once they saw it and seeing it run low made me decide I should probably get it now while I have the chance. Though I can easily see it being as common as the Legendary Trigger Happys which still rot on the racks at every TRU I go to.

[quote name='dragonjud']4. Gamestop had a good selection of figures at regular prices. Of course if your ToysRus has what you need (and you don't live in NYC), then that's the place to buy them this week.
[/QUOTE]

So on the way home I stopped at GS. I probably should have just gone there first. They had Pop Fizz, Fright Rider, and Chill. Sure, they are $10, but I have credit there to burn which is better than the minimal savings (but having to use a credit card) at TRU. All in all I spent over $100 which is in no way being a cheapass. And I didn't even buy any lightcores. I did not pick up my preorder of the GS-exclusive Cannon pack. I want to find out for sure what that piece does - can anyone who has it let us know? If it is really just a multiplayer battle arena skin, then I'll wait for the lightcore ShroomBoom.

But as I've said before, my kids like the figures as toys, too - so it is sort of a win-win there. My two boys are playing the game right now and my 2 year-old daughter is playing with the figures they aren't currently using.

I saw the plush there at TRU and had no idea such a thing even existed. All they had was Eruptor (both small and large). What other ones did they have?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='io']
I saw the plush there at TRU and had no idea such a thing even existed. All they had was Eruptor (both small and large). What other ones did they have?[/QUOTE]

there are 3 lights and sound plushes- trigger happy, spyro and eruptor. They seem like pretty good quality, I gave my daughter spyro to play with and put the other 2 away for Xmas. The horns light up and he talks. It comes with a little mini light up portal that interacts with the toy. If you point at the plush and click the portal it makes spyro light up. The plush has been a bigger hit with my kids then the actual game today, which isnt too surprising. They have always played with the toys more than the actual game, and I only gave them one figure today. The plushes seem to have pretty limited stock compared to the figures and I think they are only available at toys r us.

Yeah, I kind of wish I had picked up that Eruptor while I was there. Oh well...

Oh, and by the way, it seems that Amazon finally has the figures in stock (all normal prices of $14.99/$11.99/$9.99). They seem to have all the wave 1 stuff (Bouncer, Swarm, Crusher Giants; Pop Fizz, Fright Rider, Chill new small figs; Eruptor, Prism Break, Drobot lightcores). Are those all the Wave 1 figs (not counting series 2 poses which I could care less about)? That is all I saw across Fred Meyer/ TRU / Gamestop. I want to be sure I didn't miss anything. Someone earlier mentioned a "gear" figure but I think that is probably Sprocket from Wave 2.

Oh, I should add that TRU was overflowing the new 3-packs (with Pop Fizz and ShroomBoom). It looks like people aren't buying into that $25 for one new figure crap they are trying to pull, which is nice to see ;).

I'm not sure if I'll bother going to TRU tomorrow for the Series 2, especially given how they didn't have the Series 1 in stock at 11:30. Does anyone know when they will show up other places?

I am thrilled by the way the game displays your collection. I know it's an OCD thing, but it shows 6 Skylanders for each element. The 4 original from the 1st game, the new smaller character, and the new Giant. Once you unlock any version of the character, the game show you as having it. If you unlock multiple versions of the same character, then they will show up. I greatly appreciate only having to get 16 more characters in order for the game to feel complete.

The 1st game had 37 unique, in game, figures. Giants has 62 unique, in game, figures. I will never get all 99 so I may as well just pick up my favorite version of each of the 16 new characters. I will likely get a few series 2, but only because I like the Legendaries and Polar Whirlwind looks great.

I don't how I'd get Gnarly Tree Rex without spending a ton, and I won't buy the iOS version for Royal Double Trouble. Who knows how they will release others like Jade Flashwing, Molten Hot Dog and Scarlet Ninjini.

So, I got the "Portal Owners Pack" but then I saw that the new starter pack has a wired portal, anyone know how long the cord is on that thing? We usually sit a few feet away from the ps3 when we play, so the wire would need to stretch pretty far. If it's a decent length I might swap Packs...

If it's anything like the first portal my 360's cable is over 9 feet

[quote name='langdon_alger']So, I got the "Portal Owners Pack" but then I saw that the new starter pack has a wired portal, anyone know how long the cord is on that thing? We usually sit a few feet away from the ps3 when we play, so the wire would need to stretch pretty far. If it's a decent length I might swap Packs...[/QUOTE]

So I just spent the whole day looking for the exclusives, I feel bad for people who don't buy on day 1 if they are looking for Giants sized figures. At each store I think they would run out of the Giant sized figures by the end of the day, plenty of the smaller figures, especially the 2nd gen figs. Hopefully Activision learned and they will send more shipments for everyone to be happy.

1st Target (Daly City, CA) 10AM - They only had 3 Giants, noting else. The clerk said he only got 1 exclusive. As for Starter packs they only had the Portal Edition)
2nd Target (Colma, CA) - they had everything except the light core figures (limit of 4 Skylanders products total), a lot (maybe 20) of the Exclusive Granite Crusher, but they were moving fast. As soon as the clerk filled more in they were going as fast.
Toys R Us (Foster City, CA) 12PM - Buy one get 1 @ 40% off - They had a huge section in the front of the store, They had everything, about 6 Legendary Bouncers by the time I left & 4 Legendary Giants 3 packs. This was the only place that had the 3 light core figures (plenty in stock)
3rd Target (Foster City, CA) - They only had starters and single figures, and a few giants.
Walmart (Mountain View, CA) 1PM - I ended up buying the last 360 Starter pack for the glow in the dark Cynder. They had plenty of Wii and PS3 starter sets left. they had only 4 or so of each of the regular figures (the older 1st gen characters).
Gamestop (Mountain View, CA) - they only had 2 more Golden Cannon Sets - the rest were for preorders

Good luck to everyone else - here's my haul for the day
553627_10151291156709734_23161746_n.jpg

[quote name='langdon_alger']So, I got the "Portal Owners Pack" but then I saw that the new starter pack has a wired portal, anyone know how long the cord is on that thing? We usually sit a few feet away from the ps3 when we play, so the wire would need to stretch pretty far. If it's a decent length I might swap Packs...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I got the PS3 pack and I'd say it is around 9 feet. Ours is 3-4 feet away from the system and there was so much cord left over I had to wrap it up.

Everywhere here is already sold out. Made a second trip wanting lightcores/remolds of old figures -.-

Didn't know an iOS one was coming out, guess I need Skylanders original + Giants on 3DS and the iOS Battlegrounds now. Lovely.

It is so worth grinding the Heroic Challenges. Just with 13 challenges I was able to get a +32 boost to speed (amongst other various stat boosts) to my giant characters. Sadly V1 characters do not unlock challenges so I may need to get those V2 characters after all. The new arena is also a great way to complete some of the character quests as well as gain some money/exp.

[quote name='Bezerker']. Sadly V1 characters do not unlock challenges so I may need to get those V2 characters after all.[/QUOTE]

Even after changing ownership?

georox: Hmmm - it would be interesting to see how stock is this evening compared to noon-ish when I was out earlier. It sure seemed like some places weren't about to run out any time soon. The ones that were abundant by location between 11-2pm - Target: all the Giants (especially Granite Crusher); Gamestop: new smaller figures and Bouncer; Fred Meyer: every non-exclusive; TRU: lightcores, Series 2, Giants minus Swarm, and 3-packs. I'm just talking about Wave 1 of course - I didn't see any Wave 2 figures anywhere.

Went to toysrus,target and walmart today.

Toysrus - Got there about 15 minutes after opening and there was maybe 5 other people in the store but they were all there for skylanders.Plenty of everything in stock.

Target - Went there to try to get the limited giant figure and they were sold out of it.They hardly had anything for skylanders giants and it was just a small endcap a couple aisles down from the video game section.

Walmart - Had plenty of every figure that was available.

Pulled a good haul today..got all three giants, the TRU exclusive giant and legendaries and the Target exclusive giant. Even managed to get a wave 2 figure from TRU (Flashwing), and almost had a Sprocket. Only figure I forgot to nab was Slam-Bam.

The TRU in my neighborhood was amazing. No rushing, people were polite, and they had plenty of stock for everything. I think they put out one box of the Wave 2 by mistake today as I saw a Sprocket and I think S2 Bash get nabbed up.

Just noticed that amazon now has the skylanders giants in stock. Everything that was on sale today it looks like except for the exclusives of course.

[quote name='io']Even after changing ownership?
[/QUOTE]

Nope, unless there is a sub menu for V1 challenges vs V2. I had no problems playing Empire of Ice or the Pirate area (great way to get some +20 hats early) though.

The game just got a huge amount better with the introduction of the skystone game. I hadn't read anything about it so I was extremely pleased to see its basically an easier Triple Triad from FF8 which I spent a few hundred hours playing between the actual games & Questria. Spent an hour playing against the NPC you get in your main hub after chapter 4.

I saw my son playing that - it looked a hell of a lot more interesting than the memory minigame of the last Skylanders!

I went to bestbuy this evening and WOW there sure stocked alot of skylander stuff. There were spread out in 3 different dipaly areas, even some stacked on a roll out cart that looked like it belonged in the back warehouse. The B2g1 was nice , though no exclusives.

I picked up everything that was officially released today other than the 3DS kit. I'll hold off on that and hopefully we will see a sale on it.

[quote name='Toss']The B2g1 was nice , though no exclusives.[/QUOTE]

Wait, what? Why did no one mention this before!? I drove past 2 Best Buys on my way to Target and TRU. I just figured they were full price there since everyone was saying the TRU sale (which only amounts to 20% off) was the best one.

[quote name='io']Wait, what? Why did no one mention this before!? I drove past 2 Best Buys on my way to Target and TRU. I just figured they were full price there since everyone was saying the TRU sale (which only amounts to 20% off) was the best one.[/QUOTE]

Yeah sucks I didn't see this until after I had gotten home from TrU/Target. Could have saved a few bucks, but I'm glad I got the Legendary Bouncer and Granite Crusher exclusives. I guess it was worth spending the extra.

Of course had I known I would have only bought the store exclusives and the starter packs from TrU/Target and gone to Best Buy for the rest of the characters. Oh well.

According to the ad, the Best Buy deal was only on the game itself. That's great if your store honored it for the figures.

I went to Toys'R'Us at opening, was the first in line (I got there early). The line wasn't long, and everything was orderly and polite. I helped a few parents out that had lists find what they wanted to get since I knew quite a bit about it. Overall a very pleasant experience. They had *tons* of everything, every single person seemed to get everything they wanted that was out. They had all of Wave 1, plus Legendary Bouncer and the Legendary triple pack. They also had Wave 2, but unlike a lot of stores held it till this morning, like they were supposed to do. I went by this morning again and got Flashwing, Sprocket, Hothead and reposed Gil Grunt (my son loves Gil Grunt, and his repose is really cool).

Another thing at TRU was the employees let us know that the game itself was Buy 1 get 1 40% off as well, but with other games - not stacking with the figures since they are accessories (which have their own version of the deal). They told the customers to be sure to buy figures in even numbers to get the deal, and were happy to ring them up in a certain order so your discount was maximized. I really considered getting the 3DS one as well, but I figure I'll hold off for now, since my son didn't like that first one on 3DS that much (I liked it), and just got Pokemon Black 2 for him to complete the discount. I might pick it up when it gets dropped later.

TRU still had a lot of stock this morning, with only a few things sold out, really only the ones they didn't get in as many of. If you went in today you would still be able to get almost anything you want.

I was a big collector for the first game, but I'm definitely not going that way for Giants (at least that's my plan). That means just getting the new ones and a few reposes, and not worrying about all the recolors. I went by Target and looked at a Granite Crusher, but they just made the silver areas charcoal colored, and I didn't like it as much so we will stick with the regular one. My son loves the Legendaries though, so I did get Legendary Bouncer instead of the regular one.

At first blush, it sounds like Activision did collectors a favor with releasing in late October. That way all the die hard fans could get what they want before the Christmas crunch. A month from now, I don't think we'll see all of these nice and orderly stories

SI

Just got back from the TRU. Not a huge mess, but they were still opening the boxes. I got all the S2 and new ones I wanted. Wave 2 New are:
- Hot Head
- Sprocket
- Flashwing
- Lightcore Jet Vac

[quote name='jman2avatar']So if I go to TRU tomorrow I should be fine, or will they be out of stock?[/QUOTE]

Definitely try to go today, the earlier the possible. It looked like they had about 30 boxes. Each non giant character has about 1 per box. So I think there are only 30 up for grabs. Stock varies by store, and I'm not sure how busy it is so don't blame me if you don't get what you want :)

So I went to target today and bought the ps3 starter pack, granite crusher (?) and chill. Trying to avoid rebuying figs from the 1st game. Is Shroomboom available as a single, or just in that battle pack?

[quote name='langdon_alger']So I went to target today and bought the ps3 starter pack, granite crusher (?) and chill. Trying to avoid rebuying figs from the 1st game. Is Shroomboom available as a single, or just in that battle pack?[/QUOTE]

battlepack for now. If you're getting one anyway, get the Gamestop Gold cannon pack

[quote name='jman2avatar']I'm going to go to Best Buy and Target today after I'm done with my college class. How rare is the Target exclusive figure?[/QUOTE]

Let's just say all 5 targets around me had none at 9:30am yesterday. I luckily got one that was hiding under a shelf.

[quote name='superoreo']Just got back from the TRU. Not a huge mess, but they were still opening the boxes. I got all the S2 and new ones I wanted. Wave 2 New are:
- Hot Head
- Sprocket
- Flashwing
- Lightcore Jet Vac[/QUOTE]

Don't forget that there are a slew of reposes in Wave 2 as well. Gil Grunt, Bash, Stump Smash, Double Trouble, Sonic Boom, Hex off the top of my head. That may be interesting to make sure you can take advantage of the Buy 1 get 1 40% off, depending on what you want. Jet Vac looks really cool as a Lightcore, both his chest and the end of his gun light up. I really like Prism Break's lighting, but Eruptor was underwhelming, and Drobot they shouldn't have bothered.

Target seems to have more of Granite Crusher than anything else, from what I saw - to be expected as an exclusive (and I am certain they will be getting more over time, why pay for an exclusive if you don't have it to sell?). I'm sure they get boxes of just him, where the others come in mixed boxes. He really doesn't look great to me. The charcoal color just didn't look as good as the silver accents (the regular one still has charcoal in other areas). The regular one looks more detailed, the Granite Crusher just looks all mono-colored (some may prefer that).

The double whammy on the waves is curious, but I don't think it will be a nightmare to find the stuff. Stock is plentiful for the parents to find stuff. Now the Wave 2 is in lesser numbers, since it is something just TRU has for now and they didn't get as many as the initial stuff. When it hits all other stores, it will get better. Keep in mind, the Skylanders craze didn't hit full stride until January, when kids were using Xmas money to fill their collections. Anytime a new wave comes out, there will be a rush to get the new ones, but it settles down quickly. Getting Waves out early now lets the collectors get them, and then in January the kids will be able to find them with their Gift Cards too, which is good for all.

At current, when you factor in the bundles, 7 of the 8 new regular ones are out and 5 of the 8 giants are out. Left for future waves are 1 new regular, 3 giants, 4 Lightcore, over half the reposes and some of the new ones packaged as singles and 3 packs, 2 Legendaries and a few more variants. Lots of stuff for the collectors to go nuts over and anticipate, but for kids they don't worry about things like Jade Flashwing or Cloud Whirlwind. Their main interest are the new 8 regular and 8 giants, and by January almost all of those will be "old news" to the collectors (and scalpers) which is good.

I would much rather have been able to take my son to TRU after Christmas to pick out a new figure than having to stalk the stores for shipments like last year. I'm going to let him pick out and buy with his own money the reposes he wants in addition to the new ones I already bought.

[quote name='anthonyd46']the rarity has died down at least for now could pickup again near xmas like the last one did but many ebay auctions arent getting too high other than some legendary ones like this:[/QUOTE]

The auctions for Legendaries and the Wave 2 will go a bit higher for now, because they are not available in all regions. Some countries don't get Legendaries at all, and there are many areas in the USA that lack a TRU. Wave two is a smaller shipment and only TRU has it right now. EBay is the only option for some people that want those right now.

Legendaries are not in the least bit rare this time, my TRU had whole rows of just the 3 pack and Bouncer and they had special signs for them as an "exclusive" series. It isn't intended to be a "rare" variant that is valuable, it is a special version that gets you to shop in their store. TRU didn't pay a lot of money in order to make people shop on EBay.

[quote name='io']Wait, what? Why did no one mention this before!? I drove past 2 Best Buys on my way to Target and TRU. I just figured they were full price there since everyone was saying the TRU sale (which only amounts to 20% off) was the best one.[/QUOTE]

I posted it in the deals forum at around noon est but it looks like it ended up getting merged into the weekly ad thread after a few hours.

Anyone try the b2g1 at best buy today? I think it's dead due to the original figures no longer being b2g1 on bestbuy.com. That's what originally made me think they screwed up and made Giants figures b2g1.

[quote name='jman2avatar']I'm going to go to Best Buy and Target today after I'm done with my college class. How rare is the Target exclusive figure?[/QUOTE]
I don't think it's that rare. I saw one earlier today at Target and a few last night at another Target. I would imagine it's something they'd restock. They gave it it's own dpci so you can always call and check stock.

Hmm, couldn't find a single flashwing during my lunch trip to ToysRus.
I wouldn't call 'Wave 2', more than a trickle at this point. They definitely focused on reprinting older figures, and selling those first. Found a single 'hot head' at one of the ToysRus, and a couple of 'sprockets'.
By the way that 'Sprocket' has to be the ugliest toy I've ever bought. It seems the designers were bored, and went to a Lady Gaga concert the night before.

Oh, and I stopped at BB for a pickup. Their section seemed a lot smaller than any of the other stores. Even at B2G1F, I wouldn't have gotten what I needed. They definitely made it a point to mix in all their previous S1 figures in an attempt to sell those as well.

[quote name='confoosious']where'd you get the hot head giant? my gf didn't see it at BB[/QUOTE]

It's only available at ToysRus right now. But you have to get relatively lucky, as it seems they printed a relatively small amount of 'Wave 2'. Meaning that 'Sprocket', 'Flash Wing' and 'Hot head' are likely going to be hard to find over the next week (at least).

I wonder if activision and their retailers have learned from the first skylanders. They want they somewhat rare but not to the point where scalpers are making more money than they are.

I didn't see too many boxes for Hot Head, I was the 5th person there a few minutes before the store opened. They had 3 boxes that contained Hot Head, I'm not sure if they had anymore but me and my daughter browsed the store and came back later on. It seemed that people from other stores were rushing there to try and find it.

EDIT: Lightcore Jetvac was another one I didn't see too much of either, I only seen them unpack one box of those.

I didn't see any of wave 2 today and didn't see Legendary Stealth Elf either. Everything else was overflowing in supply. Including the legendary figs/packs.

[quote name='superoreo']Was Fright Rider wave 1 or 2? My toys are at home and I don't have a list yet. If it was Wave 1, I'm sure I have it.[/QUOTE]

Wave 1

I don't think Legendary Stealth Elf came out today, I don't even see it on fleabay so I doubt it came out.

Fright Rider came out with wave 1.

[quote name='superoreo']Was Fright Rider wave 1 or 2? My toys are at home and I don't have a list yet. If it was Wave 1, I'm sure I have it.[/QUOTE]

Wave 1.

Wave 2 is these:
Hothead
Lightcore Jet Vac
Sprocket
Flashwing
Drill Seargent 2
Hex 2
Gil Grunt 2
Bash 2
Double Trouble 2
Stump Smash 2
Flamslinger 2
Sonic Boom 2

There are also two more triple packs, one with Sprocket/Stump Smash/Sonic Boom and one with Flashwing/Gil Grunt /Double Trouble. The triple packs haven't been seen as far as I know, but the rest are in TRU and some are seeing them elsewhere too. TRU wasn't supposed to put it out until today, but some did with the release yesterday. Mine mistakenly put out Lightcore Jet Vac, but none of the others.

The TRU manager (and the cashier that helped me) at my store were really great, she had seen me at the door when she got in on Sunday (and I had talked to her before) and took my phone number when I asked about Wave 2 (she knew about the boxes, but didn't realize they had new ones in them and honored the label saying to not put them out). She called me a couple hours later and put Sprocket, Flashwing & Hothead in the back for me, and told me they couldn't sell them until this morning. This morning she called again and told me the store opening had been moved up and asked if I wanted her to hold any of the reposes. Let's just saying I filled out the survey on the receipt with a GLOWING review.

Anyone have an extra granite crusher?

that was the only one i couldn't find yesterday and it will be next weekend before i can get to a different target to look.

Send me a message if you do.

Went to toys r us to pick up the wave 2 figures...they had so many skylanders, literally bins full. I gotta question Activision's decision to flood the market with these things. I think a big reason why they were so popular is because of the collectible aspect. Rarity really added to that IMO. I think the long term viability of the series kind of depends on them being somewhat rare.

[quote name='caltab']Went to toys r us to pick up the wave 2 figures...they had so many skylanders, literally bins full. I gotta question Activision's decision to flood the market with these things. I think a big reason why they were so popular is because of the collectible aspect. Rarity really added to that IMO. I think the long term viability of the series kind of depends on them being somewhat rare.[/QUOTE]

A distinct possibility. But when has Activision ever been known to not flood the market when they see a profit opportunity? They may end up Guitar Heroing the Skylanders. But, on the other hand, the rarity also had some negative side effects this year. Every single little kid in my neighborhood went bonkers over Skylanders earlier this year. Toys'R'Us is on my way to work, so I helped a few parents get ones they were looking for since they always put new stock out at opening, and they could never get them.

By the time April rolled around and shelves had a reasonable selection again, many of those kids lost interest when they kept finding empty shelves and finally said "screw this" because they couldn't get ANY new figures. I think it will be much better this time, because even if some are hard to find, there will be at least some on the shelves, and remember that most kids aren't in the position where they have everything except the newest wave - most of them have 10 or so and just want something new to spend their allowance/birthday money on. That's part of the reason for my new approach with Giants, I'm getting the new ones and if my sons want certain series 2 ones, they can pick them out themselves with their birthday/allowance money. That wasn't possible last year, at all - if you wanted something other than Boomer, you had to stalk the shipment.

bread's done
Back