Skylanders - Toys brought to life, Cross-platform Connectivity *Giants Out Now*

[quote name='caltab']Went to toys r us to pick up the wave 2 figures...they had so many skylanders, literally bins full. I gotta question Activision's decision to flood the market with these things. I think a big reason why they were so popular is because of the collectible aspect. Rarity really added to that IMO. I think the long term viability of the series kind of depends on them being somewhat rare.[/QUOTE]

I agree with the rarity making people want them, at least for me. I bought all of the wave 1 new characters yesterday but if they are available everywhere at any time then I'll probably regret it somewhat.

Having said that, the original Skylanders were a dime a dozen for quite awhile last year up until around Christmas and maybe more so after Christmas. I remember the Legendary TrU exclusive pack filled the shelves for awhile and then suddenly they were rare and going for a hundred dollars + on ebay. Same thing with Whirlwind when he was a timed exclusive to Target. That single one was going for over $150 at one point.

I'm pretty sure there'll be a shortage as we get to the holidays. A lot more people know about the game and Activision just wanted to make sure they have more than enough.

Come back around Christmas if Wave 1/2 characters are still in stores then we have a problem.

[quote name='defpally']Wave 1.

Wave 2 is these:
Hothead
Lightcore Jet Vac
Sprocket
Flashwing
Drill Seargent 2
Hex 2
Gil Grunt 2
Bash 2
Double Trouble 2
Stump Smash 2
Flamslinger 2
Sonic Boom 2

There are also two more triple packs, one with Sprocket/Stump Smash/Sonic Boom and one with Flashwing/Gil Grunt /Double Trouble. The triple packs haven't been seen as far as I know, but the rest are in TRU and some are seeing them elsewhere too. TRU wasn't supposed to put it out until today, but some did with the release yesterday. Mine mistakenly put out Lightcore Jet Vac, but none of the others.

The TRU manager (and the cashier that helped me) at my store were really great, she had seen me at the door when she got in on Sunday (and I had talked to her before) and took my phone number when I asked about Wave 2 (she knew about the boxes, but didn't realize they had new ones in them and honored the label saying to not put them out). She called me a couple hours later and put Sprocket, Flashwing & Hothead in the back for me, and told me they couldn't sell them until this morning. This morning she called again and told me the store opening had been moved up and asked if I wanted her to hold any of the reposes. Let's just saying I filled out the survey on the receipt with a GLOWING review.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Sorry I forgot to mention I only listed only new chars Wave 2. I did get all of them. I took a pic of my haul so far and my god, I'm ashamed to post it because I bought so much! I spent close to $400 already and I'm not even halfway done (I think).

Hm, am I the only one who just bought what I could from TRU online?

I wasn't planning to drive around town looking for stuff, and even with TRU's B1G1 40% off / free ship over $49 and not trying to collect everything, I spent over $100 on characters. :p

[quote name='gunm']Hm, am I the only one who just bought what I could from TRU online?

I wasn't planning to drive around town looking for stuff, and even with TRU's B1G1 40% off / free ship over $49 and not trying to collect everything, I spent over $100 on characters. :p[/QUOTE]

are online returns instore still gc only?

[quote name='superoreo']Thanks. Sorry I forgot to mention I only listed only new chars Wave 2. I did get all of them. I took a pic of my haul so far and my god, I'm ashamed to post it because I bought so much! I spent close to $400 already and I'm not even halfway done (I think).[/QUOTE]

If you bought all of wave 1, wave 2 and a starter set you should have 32 / 48 characters without including any variants.

[quote name='KrayzieKMF']If you bought all of wave 1, wave 2 and a starter set you should have 32 / 48 characters without including any variants.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I feel better. I just counted my pic. I have 37 total with 5 variants (3 pack legendary, L-Bouncer and Granite Crusher), so that makes it 32. I wasn't around during Skylanders launch, but do they really "save" around 16 figures for release later? Is that number big or small?

[quote name='KrayzieKMF']are online returns instore still gc only?[/QUOTE]

No idea. Hopefully, I won't have to do that...

[quote name='skiizim']I don't think Legendary Stealth Elf came out today, I don't even see it on fleabay so I doubt it came out.

Fright Rider came out with wave 1.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Corvin']I didn't see any of wave 2 today and didn't see Legendary Stealth Elf either. Everything else was overflowing in supply. Including the legendary figs/packs.[/QUOTE]

Look for Legendary Stealth Elf on Black Friday. It is in our system with a street date of 11/22.

[quote name='KrayzieKMF']are online returns instore still gc only?[/QUOTE]

The system should have been changed so that if you paid with a credit card, you can get you money back on that same card. If you paid with Pay pal or gift cards, you will still get store credit.

[quote name='superoreo']Thanks! I feel better. I just counted my pic. I have 37 total with 5 variants (3 pack legendary, L-Bouncer and Granite Crusher), so that makes it 32. I wasn't around during Skylanders launch, but do they really "save" around 16 figures for release later? Is that number big or small?[/QUOTE]

If it is like last time, there will be 5 waves total, with Legendary Stealth Elf and Legendary Lightcore Chill (and the other color variants) wedged in there somewhere mid-wave since it is an exclusive. Legendary Trigger Happy showed up between 3 and 4 last February.

Three more waves make sense, since there are 3 giants left - so 1 per wave. Other than that, you have the remaining 10 or so reposes, 4 more Lightcore and 1 more regular to be split among the waves.

Last time we got Wave 2 in November, 3 in January, 4 in March and 5 in April. We already know that 2 was pushed out the door early, supposedly to meet demand for more product on the shelves. It is hard to say, but we may see one more wave prior to Christmas, or they may hold out for the post Christmas money rush. You really can't base it on last year though, because as someone else said earlier, prior to Christmas Skylanders were popular, but weren't selling out, even when Wave 2 hit. Once all of those Christmas presents got opened, kids went nuts and cleaned off the shelves, then the scalpers took notice. This time, demand is in place from Day 1, so Activision doesn't have to suddenly ramp up production, they are in full production mode already.

[quote name='prim4444']The system should have been changed so that if you paid with a credit card, you can get you money back on that same card. If you paid with Pay pal or gift cards, you will still get store credit.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! That means I will be more likely to order online then. I hated how I had to ship items back if I wanted to return something and get my money back.

[quote name='winterlane']Can anyone verify if the BB B2G1 on figures is still active today?[/QUOTE]

Someone on another forum tried today and they say it's dead.

[quote name='shadowkast']my kids can wait til xmas.....my kids can hold out til xmas.....i can hold out til xmas........[/QUOTE]

Heh heh - I couldn't wait. In fact, my 2 boys are playing right now. My kids birthdays work out well, though. Both of them are late Nov/early Dec so what I can do is pick up the wave 2 figs (and some of the wave 1 - got Chill and Fright Rider sitting in a bag in my office) and hold on to those for birthday presents. Then if more come out in December I got stocking stuffers and the like...

[highlight]Can someone remind me which new figures are coming out with lightcore versions?[/highlight] I am not going to buy the regular ones until the lightcores versions release. So I know ShroomBoom is one. I know Jet-Vac is another. Of course I already broke my rule on Jet-Vac since I now have TWO versions of it (regular from the Starter Pack and Legendary from TRU). But I will hold off on the Cannon 3-pack since it has the plain ShroomBoom and wait for the lightcore version to come out. I think they should have put the lightcore one in the 3-pack and then released the normal one separately as that would spur purchases of that overpriced POS 3-pack ;). I know I'm not buying it as it stands now unless I find a great deal (like a B1G1 or something). And it seemed like that's the way the masses have responded, too, as both of the 3-packs with old/usless figures in them were fully-stocked on the TRU shelves while all the new smaller figures sold out quick.

The local TRU was cleaned out of new single-pack characters, but had plenty of plushies, 1st game variants, Giants, and 3-packs. There was a couple there with a cart full of the single pack new characters and they weren't letting anyone else have them. The guy was proudly saying to some ladies that he'd already raided another TRU and all the local Kmarts, and that they were "out of luck" finding the new figures for their kids.

I suggested loudly that they try Gamestop, Target or Best Buy and the guy just about choked, trying to assert that the new figures are Kmart/TRU exclusives. The ladies thanked me and took off. The guy looked miffed for a minute, then called someone on his cellphone.

I then ran over to Best Buy and grabbed the set, the preorder bag/poster/etc, Chill and Pop Fizz. My kids are thrilled. :)

[quote name='KrayzieKMF']Someone on another forum tried today and they say it's dead.[/QUOTE]

I can confirm this. The gal at the register said that it was working yesterday, and tried to run it through for me, but it didn't work on the register. She asked a manager and was told that it was a mistake in the system, but has since been corrected.

Here is a list I got from the darkspyro forums, thanks to bionicle!

Giants
:
• Ninjini (Magic) [Image] [Video] [Figure]
• Scarlet Ninjini (Magic) [Image]
• Crusher (Earth) [Image] [Video] [Figure]
• Granite Crusher (Earth) [Image]
• Thumpback (Water) [Image] [Video] [Figure]
• Hot Head (Fire) [Image] [Video] [Figure]
• Bouncer (Tech) [Image] [Video [Figure]
• Legendary Bouncer [Image] [Video]
• Eye Brawl (Undead) [Image] [Video] [Figure]
• Swarm (Air) [Image] [Video] [Figure]
• Tree Rex (Life) [Image] [Video] [Figure]

New Skylanders:
• Pop Fizz (Magic) [Image] [Video]
• Punch Pop Fizz (Magic) [Image]
• Royal Double Trouble (Magic)
• Flashwing (Earth) [Image][/url][Video]
• Jade Flashwing (Earth)
• Chill (Water) [Image] [Video]
• Legendary Chill (Water) [Image]
• Legendary Slam Bam (Water) [Image]
• Hot Dog (Fire) [Image] [Video
• Molten Hot Dog (Fire)
• Legendary Ignitor (Fire) [Image]
• Fright Rider (Undead) [Image] [Video]
• Sprocket (Tech) [Image] [Video]
• Jet-Vac (Air) [Image] [Video] [Figure]
• Legendary Jet-Vac (Air) [Image]
• Polar Whirlwind [Image]
• Shroomboom (Life) [Image] [Video]
• Legendary Stealth Elf (Life) [Image]

Light Core Skylanders:
• Prism Break (Earth) [Image] [Video]
• Eruptor (Fire) [Image] [Video]
• Drobot (Tech) [Image] [Video]
• Hex (Undead) [Image] [Video]
• Jet-Vac (Air) [Image] [Video]

Series 2:*
• Spyro (Magic) [Image] [Video]
• Wrecking Ball (Magic) [Image] [Video]
• Double Trouble (Magic) [Image] [Video]
• Terrafin (Earth) [Image] [Video]
• Bash (Earth) [Image] [Video]
• Slam Bam (Water) [Image] [Video]
• Zap (Water) [Image] [Video]
• Gill Grunt (Water) [Image] [Video]
• Ignitor (Fire) [Image] [Video]
• Flameslinger (Fire) [Image] [Video]
• Drill Sargent (Tech) [Image] [Video]
• Trigger Happy (Tech) [Image] [Video]
• Cynder (Undead) [Image] [Video]
• Chop Chop (Undead) [Image] [Video]
• Sonic Boom (Air) [Image] [Video]
• Whirlwind (Air) [Image] [Video]
• Lightning Rod (Air) [Image] [Video]
• Stealth Elf (Life) [Image] [Video]
• Zook (Life) [Image] [Video]
• Stump Smash (Life) [Image] [Video]

Sidekicks:
• Mini Jini (Magic)
• Thumpling (Water)
• Eye-Small (Undead)
• Barkley (Life)

Arena Pieces:
• Dragonfire Cannon [Image]
• Scorpion Striker

[quote name='skiizim']Light Core Skylanders:
• Jet-Vac (Air) [Image] [Video]

Arena Pieces:
• Dragonfire Cannon [Image]
• Scorpion Striker[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

D'oh! It figures the lightcores would be made for the earlier new figures - that way people are sure to buy both. So I might return the Chill I bought at Gamestop and wait for the lightcore. I've already given the kids Pop Fizz but that's OK as my 4 year-old knew about that one and really wanted it. So I guess I'll wait for Chill and ShroomBoom and just pass on all the others.

Can someone describe the Arena? Is it the same as the (local) multiplayer battle arena from the first game, or is it something different (and better) this time?

[quote name='nbballard']You play one in game. It appears to be like the challenge rooms from god of war or darksiders.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm - so maybe a little better than the multiplayer arenas like the Volcanic Vault... I may yet get that GS preorder of their "exclusive" battle cannon pack then. Not sure yet...

The cannon itself is pretty neat too. It's a lightcore piece. When you put it on the portal, it shows up like a power-up and follows you around firing cannonballs.

[quote name='skiizim']Here is a list I got from the darkspyro forums, thanks to bionicle!

Giants
:
• Scarlet Ninjini (Magic) [Image]

New Skylanders:
• Jade Flashwing (Earth)
• Legendary Chill (Water) [Image]
• Molten Hot Dog (Fire)
• Legendary Ignitor (Fire) [Image]
• Polar Whirlwind [Image]
• Legendary Stealth Elf (Life) [Image]

Light Core Skylanders:

Sidekicks:
• Mini Jini (Magic)
• Thumpling (Water)
• Eye-Small (Undead)
• Barkley (Life)

Arena Pieces:
• Scorpion Striker[/QUOTE]

Well, guess I'll be waiting on all these before buying anymore regular characters.

Some of those variants aren't going to be accessible in singles. For example, it is already known that Royal Double Trouble is only available in the iOS Starter pack for the Skylanders Battlegrounds game. The new Sidekicks are going to be another Frito-Lay thing. Legendary Ignitor is only in a 3 pack with Legendary Slam Bam and Legendary Jet Vac. Gnarly Tree Rex is only in Wii and PS3 Console Bundles. From what has been seen, they may turn up as incentives for bundles of some sort with other products.

By the way, Legendary Chill is supposedly a Lightcore. It makes sense, TRU would then have a special 3 pack, a special single, a special Giant and a special Lightcore - 1 of each category. Also, Prism Break, Eruptor and Drobot are showing up in a Lightcore 3 pack at Target soon for $29.99. A slight discount if those interest you. it already appears on their website but isn't available yet.

What is sticking out in my mind is how the other Battleground piece is going to be packaged. I am sure it will be with 1 repose and 1 new one. I hope it is Hot Dog, because that is the only new one I do not have and unless the Cannon is spectacular I probably will skip it. I only really got it this time because of Chop Chop (one of my son's favorites) and Shroomboom.

I'm a bit concerned about a drop-off in quality on the Giants figures I've seen so far. Perhaps there were quality issues with the old figures, but I never noticed them as much as I do now with the new ones

I looked at ten different Chills with 10 completely different appearances. Some had blue lips, others had natural colored ones. Some of them had helmets that were so misshapen you couldn't actually see the character's face. I also noticed a lot of poor paintjobs on the Legendary Bouncer and new Hex figures as well. Hex was laughingly bad, as the paint job on the face wasn't lined up properly. One of them had lips painted on the character's nose, and another one had a third eye painted on it below the right one.

I'm actually going to return my Hex until I can find one without any of these issues.

[quote name='roger watersmelon']I'm a bit concerned about a drop-off in quality on the Giants figures I've seen so far. Perhaps there were quality issues with the old figures, but I never noticed them as much as I do now with the new ones

I looked at ten different Chills with 10 completely different appearances. Some had blue lips, others had natural colored ones. Some of them had helmets that were so misshapen you couldn't actually see the character's face. I also noticed a lot of poor paintjobs on the Legendary Bouncer and new Hex figures as well. Hex was laughingly bad, as the paint job on the face wasn't lined up properly. One of them had lips painted on the character's nose, and another one had a third eye painted on it below the right one.

I'm actually going to return my Hex until I can find one without any of these issues.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm. There were a few aberrations during last year's game as well. Taking a quick look at my figures, I see no real problems. Sounds like you got stuck with a reject.

On figure quality, apparently the process for creating the figures changed with this game. For last game, they sent over images and TFB created them based on that. This time, they bought one of those 3D model printer and painted the figure samples to show exactly what they wanted. I personally noticed a lot more small details on the characters this time. Sprocket in particular, she has many very tiny details on her figure. With small details comes more opportunity for abberations.

With the last game, there were lots of reported issues. I saw three different Wham Shells on the shelf with three different sets of detail painting. Everything from gold details being painted differently (or not at all), and those were from the same shipment. The mace was held at different angles in all three, with one not even touching his other hand. I also saw some with appendages not attached, packaged in the wrong package or with the wrong card, etc.

I know it doesn't belong here, but don't want to create a separate thread for it...
Have an extra Granite crusher. Don't feel like returning it right now, so if anybody wants it 'at cost' pm me.
Please note that it will be actual shipping + NY tax, so it may end up being more than what you want to pay.
Don't need anything at the moment, so not looking to trade.

I know that this might sound like a stupid question, but would the xbox 360 portal work on the :3ds:? FYI I have the old one from the first game.

[quote name='jman2avatar']I know that this might sound like a stupid question, but would the xbox 360 portal work on the :3ds:? FYI I have the old one from the first game.[/QUOTE]

Nope. The 3ds portal uses the IR reader on the 3ds, and it's much smaller.
Also, the games couldn't be more different. The 3ds game is nothing more than a platformer that does not allow the same type of character upgrades.

[quote name='defpally']On figure quality, apparently the process for creating the figures changed with this game. For last game, they sent over images and TFB created them based on that. This time, they bought one of those 3D model printer and painted the figure samples to show exactly what they wanted. I personally noticed a lot more small details on the characters this time. Sprocket in particular, she has many very tiny details on her figure. With small details comes more opportunity for abberations.

With the last game, there were lots of reported issues. I saw three different Wham Shells on the shelf with three different sets of detail painting. Everything from gold details being painted differently (or not at all), and those were from the same shipment. The mace was held at different angles in all three, with one not even touching his other hand. I also saw some with appendages not attached, packaged in the wrong package or with the wrong card, etc.[/QUOTE]
This is exactly what I was saying. With any manufacturing process you're going to have quality issues. I believe those problems could be more widespread than they were before, and that figure collectors (or people that don't want their figures to have an extra eye) should be more careful this time around. I didn't think about the figures having additional details and that being the source of the problem, but that makes perfect sense.

On a side note, my Toys R Us got more Claptraps in so the trip wasn't a total wash. I've seen two Hexes on the shelves out of the second shipment, but have yet to see any Sprockets, Hot Heads, or Lightcore Jet-Vacs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stopped by my local TRU with my daughter today and they only had stump smash left from wave 2. It also looks like the wave 1 single packs are selling pretty well. Plenty of Giants and 3 packs left though.

^ Went looking for those at mine, but i didn't see them. All they had was Hex and Stump Smash.

Anyway - Tips&Tricks! It may be obvious, but i've been using my old maxed out Skylanders to buy things at the store. I figure they don't have anymore upgrades coming their way and their money is just going to waste. So every time the shop gets new items, I switch over to one of my S1 starts that has like, 5k in coins and buy up everything.

I went through all of the available heroic challenges for Fright Rider tonight. He is awesome.

[quote name='icpmattj']So how long is wave 2 exclusive to toysrus?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'd like to know this as well. I went to TRU around noon Tuesday and they told me the Wave 2 singles sold out in 20 minutes when they opened on Monday. That's as good as them not being available so I'd like to know when they will be released elsewhere - screw TRU and their exclusives and inconvenient locations :bomb:.

I did go to Kmart and Fred Meyer and they both had plenty of single packs from Wave 1 (Pop Fizz, Chill, Fright Rider that is). And the lightcores don't seem to be selling much at all. Those are piled up everywhere - even TRU.

Yesterday I hit up a Target, WM, BBY and multiple GS's and had no luck with wave 2's. Target's locator says they have Wave 2 3 packs in, but even though the online id is different for each item, the physical locator goes off of the generic sku they use for every 3 pack, so its most likely all going to be Wave 1's

A city 20 miles away got some rare games in and also has a TRU in the mall so I guess i'll be making a trek after work today to see what I can find.

Wave 2 isn't exclusive to TRU, as was originally thought. They just got their "restock" earlier than most other stores. Supposedly TFB were well on their way to ramping up production for Wave 2 figures when they had more demand from retailers for figures. So, Wave 2 shipped early. TRU has a much higher demand than other stores, their displays tend to be much larger, so it was seen there first. Wave 2 has been seen at Walmart, Best Buy and Target - the thing that is probably driving how soon the stores get it is how fast it was anticipated they would go through their stock.

With a huge TRU a few miles away, my Target still had a bunch of figures, including several Granite Crushers as of last night. With the sale at TRU, there is no reason to get anything other than him at Target. I would imagine they will be slow on getting Wave 2.

Okay, so we are just now getting Spryos Adventure, how hard is it gonna be to track down all the characters (regular versions only, may get the legendary triple pack though)? Will they be getting phased out?

[quote name='Only One Haze']Okay, so we are just now getting Spryos Adventure, how hard is it gonna be to track down all the characters (regular versions only, may get the legendary triple pack though)? Will they be getting phased out?[/QUOTE]

Not that bad, given that the reposes will work in the old game too. That means that you can get the new ones which are readily available and use them for both, in fact that would be best given that the new ones also have extra abilities in Giants. Three of the four in each element were reposed. The only ones you may have trouble finding are:

Voodood
Boomer
Ghost Roaster
Camo
Warnado
Dinorang
Sunburn
Wham Shell

because they were the ones not reposed, and won't be getting re-released. Wham Shell came out last and is particularly hard to find. Ghost Roaster and Sunurn come only in Adventure Packs (which work in Giants too).

The only issue you will have is trying to enter the collector game right now, because some likely will not be reprinted. If you just want a version of each character and don't care about variants, you should be ok. The ones listed above are the only old ones to look out for, the rest you have new versions of them to find as well and should be easier to locate.

[quote name='defpally']Not that bad, given that the reposes will work in the old game too. That means that you can get the new ones which are readily available and use them for both, in fact that would be best given that the new ones also have extra abilities in Giants. Three of the four in each element were reposed. The only ones you may have trouble finding are:

Voodood
Boomer
Ghost Roaster
Camo
Warnado
Dinorang
Sunburn
Wham Shell

because they were the ones not reposed, and won't be getting re-released. Wham Shell came out last and is particularly hard to find. Ghost Roaster and Sunurn come only in Adventure Packs (which work in Giants too).

The only issue you will have is trying to enter the collector game right now, because some likely will not be reprinted. If you just want a version of each character and don't care about variants, you should be ok. The ones listed above are the only old ones to look out for, the rest you have new versions of them to find as well and should be easier to locate.[/QUOTE]

That's the thing...we would like to get all the series 1 poses and not bother with series 2. Is that going to an issue you think? Especially if we're not running out to grab all of them at once, I feel like the longer we wait to get them all the less likely it will happen.

Thanks for the insight!

[quote name='Only One Haze']That's the thing...we would like to get all the series 1 poses and not bother with series 2. Is that going to an issue you think? Especially if we're not running out to grab all of them at once, I feel like the longer we wait to get them all the less likely it will happen.

Thanks for the insight![/QUOTE]

Yeah, there are many that won't get made anymore, you will be depending on luck to find the Series 1. Series 1 is inferior to Series 2 since you don't get the extra abilities and both work in both games (except for the new characters), so they do not have incentive to make more. The only reason to get Series 1 is if you prefer those poses, the internals are superior in the Series 2, with no disadvantages. A Series 2 Zook operates as a Series 1 Zook in Spyro's Adventure (although if he has acquired anything in Giants that isn't available in SSA - levels above 10, hats, etc, it will not appear).

[quote name='UncleBob']Supposedly, Wave 2 is TRU exclusive for 30 days.

Supposedly, some folks are finding Wave 2 figures elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

Are you going to try and get all the variants again this time?

[quote name='thelonepig']There is a Giants castle storage case at TRU that advertises a packed-in Wham Shell if anyone is still having difficulty finding him.[/QUOTE]

I can't believe how much trouble this one has given people, I was lucky enough to get it on Amazon but jeez, I've only seen it at the store once but I'm sure it didn't last too long since it was early in the morning.

Any other new characters sell out on amazon ?

Only new one I'm seeing is light core jet vac.
Of course there are series 2 reposes but I'm not interested in those.

Just wondering if I missed any others like sprocket or flash wing

No worries. Flashwing and Sprocket have been MIA. Only have shown up at TRU Monday.

I give it a week and other sites would have them. So much for "30 days exclusivity to TRU". Seeing a wave 2 on amazon has debunked that for me.

bread's done
Back