Skyrim Collector's Edition Guide [oos/dead]

[quote name='Izod517']A second edition is exactly the same as a reprint....[/QUOTE]
No it's not

A reprint is taking the original material and making one exactly like it
A second print is when you change the source material and print a run

Two completely different things

[quote name='MochaRaf']Well apparently they are still selling well though. Someone stated earlier they sold their copy for $90, and someone else said they sold theirs for $120. Must have been die hard collector fans, as I personally wouldnt even pay that much for the CE of the game itself. Everyone is different though.[/QUOTE]
The people paying that much probably have no idea there is a 2nd print.

[quote name='Raven6009']The people paying that much probably have no idea there is a 2nd print.[/QUOTE]

I think whomever said they sold it for $120 is exaggerating.
I sold 5 copies on Ebay of the 1st generation for $60-$75. That was the going price for at least 2 months. I sold my last copy maybe a week before Amazon posted this, so I doubt the price went up that much on Ebay.
I don't care for this second guide. I think that the passionate people that wanted a hard copy after all of the stores sold old, already did.

[quote name='Jaysonguy']No it's not

A reprint is taking the original material and making one exactly like it
A second print is when you change the source material and print a run

Two completely different things[/QUOTE]

That depends on how you're taking the word edition. The first reprint of a book is it's second edition. Now if the book is revised then it's an actual revised edition - as in the second edition of a text book - if a book is actually revised 99.9999% of the time ISBN is changed - making it in essence a different book.

The ISBN on this product has not changed, nor has the content according to the vendor.

Edit: Didn't see the changed the cover, very odd for a publisher to do considering they are the same ISBN, although not unheard of. Generally cover changes don't constitute it being an edition change. Edition strictly refers to actual content and requires a new ISBN.

The fact that this is a 'second edition' under the same ISBN is indeed rare.

My favorite example of this is Game of Thrones, which has been the same edition and same ISBN since 1996, despite dozens of reprints, and at least four changes to the boards and dust jacket.

So, the minor changes they made could totally have justified making this a 'Second Printing,' including changing the cover, but making it a second edition is certainly unusual, especially with the ISBN.

However, I think they did so just to make it blatantly obvious for collectors who care about it and had purchased the first edition, first printing already as a collectible rather than as a strategy guide. They left the ISBN the same so you could find and buy it easier, meaning it is really more of a second printing than second edition in fact, if not in name.

It is also possible that the first edition didn't include a number line at all, so making a second edition rather than a shortened number line makes it easier to distinguish.

lmao... after talking to Amazon rep... and getting lower price and free shipping matched... i noticed today that Amazon credited me full amount for guide and debited right away... so basically they gave it to me for freeeeeeeee :)

[quote name='ArthurDayne']However, I think they did so just to make it blatantly obvious for collectors who care about it and had purchased the first edition, first printing already as a collectible rather than as a strategy guide. They left the ISBN the same so you could find and buy it easier, meaning it is really more of a second printing than second edition in fact, if not in name.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'd bet they want to make it clear that this is an "unprecedented" move as they claim, lest they devalue future CE printings of other game guides.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']There are 2 barcodes on the back of mine...the new one. Here they are, not sure which one is the official UPC.

9 78307 891402

0 50694 48711 3 (guessing this one is the UPC)[/QUOTE]

I can't multiquote on my phone but thanks to you and etcrane I appreciate the confirmations.

[quote name='vocoder']lmao... after talking to Amazon rep... and getting lower price and free shipping matched... i noticed today that Amazon credited me full amount for guide and debited right away... so basically they gave it to me for freeeeeeeee :)[/QUOTE]

There's no such thing as free lunch. It's the same concept as cancel and reorder. You get credit back for the original order, but the new charge hasn't been updated yet. You'll get billed one way or another.

As those people complaining about FIRST and SECOND editions, it doesn't matter!!! What matters is how anal you're... You might not be so picky for a game guide, but please don't tell me you don't have other "unusual" demands (like never eat the first or last slice of bread or something). Without those little things, eBay will not be eBay... Just be happy that you're getting a 2nd chance to purchase a beautiful book (and yes, it's a book, I don't see why it's not a book). Who cares what other people prefer...

As for those people buying at premium prices, they're not stupid. First off, they don't have to look at price tags to buy things. Secondly, it's Christmas, they're trying to get a present for someone who appreciate the true value of it. You can't put a value on the genuine smiles for giving out the perfect gift. Why are we so anal for getting the presents wrapped on time? Because the givers want to be appreciated too, after all, Christmas is not about gifts we get, but the kindness of the givers.

[quote name='MSUHitman']As long as your Amazon one is shrinkrapped it would be fine to return no matter if it was first or second version as it's the same SKU.[/QUOTE]

Well that's good to hear. So i guess the question is, for folks that have received their copies already, did they come shrink wrapped? That's the only way i can make my little plan work to have it under the tree for x-mas but still get it at the lower price from Amazon.

to scorpion x no i wasnt exaggerating on the 120$ i sold it the day the reprint was announced.
Item: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Collector's Edition: Prima Official Game Guide...
Condition: New
Condition note: brand new factory sealed. will be shipped well protected in box. if you have any questions at all feel free to ask me.
Listing ID: 1219IXK5XG8
SKU: 77-6MTR-8DQX
Quantity: 1
Order date: 12/19/2011
Buyer's price: $120.00
Amazon commission: -$20.34
Shipping credit: $6.99
Your earnings: $106.65

[quote name='PlayerXXX']Well that's good to hear. So i guess the question is, for folks that have received their copies already, did they come shrink wrapped? That's the only way i can make my little plan work to have it under the tree for x-mas but still get it at the lower price from Amazon.[/QUOTE]

Received mine today. Yes, it's shrink wrapped.

[quote name='Serpentor']There's no such thing as free lunch. It's the same concept as cancel and reorder. You get credit back for the original order, but the new charge hasn't been updated yet. You'll get billed one way or another.[/QUOTE]

I bought it the first time for 26.35. I chatted with Amazon rep to get new 23.99 price and them honor free shipping which he did. Today I noticed on my CC statement that I got credited first for 26.35 and debited 26.35 while amazon invoice still says 23.99, and I got email which says that the item has been shipped which usually means the order has been processed (CC has been charged)

+26.35 (from Amazon) in the morning
-26.35 (to Amazon) around noon
Total: 0.00$ from my pocket lol

p.s. i PM'd almost 2 days ago so i think i got it for free... their mistake

Amazon really needs to reconsider outsourcing their customer service...

*****************Please disregard the previous email********************

Hello,

I'm so sorry that I sent you a email mistakenly.

It was intended for another person. The refunds are irrelevant to your account.

Please ignore the previous mail and I'm truly sorry for any inconvenience this may caused.

***************Message wrongly sent to you is as follows***************************

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear your "Ben-Hur" didn't arrive by the estimated delivery date of December 1.

***************************Please ignore this email********************************

Best regards,
Amazon Rep

Yeah, I didn't order Ben-Hur.

[quote name='vocoder']True CAG never complains about 1st or 2nd edition... only about price match difference

:D[/QUOTE]

you might not want to brag too much, I wouldn't risk having my account closed over a few dollars

[quote name='FranksTheTank']Received mine today. Yes, it's shrink wrapped.[/QUOTE]

well well well, guess what showed up at my doorstep today? And it was shrink wrapped and delivered BEFORE X-Mas. Now I can just return the Gamestop one and not have to worry about it now!

[quote name='addicted2games']Nice sale, gauu. Stuff always sells for more on Amazon than on ebay.[/QUOTE]

thank you. i figured id toss it up for a bs price and it actually sold so i wasnt complaining. i bought 2 2nd editions. so now ill have a sealed 1st,a sealed,2nd and an opened 2nd to read with the game. all in all im happy. i still have one more 1st edition as well that im going to hold onto as future trade bait. i got the collectors set for my bday too so its been a good month for me.

I love it, I had the pdf version. The 1st one of that doesn't have color. The color is DEFINITELY nice, so I'd rather have the second version especially since I got it cheap enough :)

[quote name='PlayerXXX']well well well, guess what showed up at my doorstep today? And it was shrink wrapped and delivered BEFORE X-Mas. Now I can just return the Gamestop one and not have to worry about it now![/QUOTE]

That would be considered fraud by the CAG police:lol:

I honestly was surprised to get my second order today since I cancelled the first one, they literally one day shipped it!!! No a single dent on it, its in superb condition

I got mine yesterday as well and brought it in to work with me today to get a glimpse. It's definitely a beauty and I hope I can absorb some of this as I get ready to start over since I was only like 2 hours in.

saw these in gamestop the other day (i think they're going for $40 there, not sure though). and it reads" second edition " in big letters on the bottom right of the front cover (if i'm remembering right), it was rather noticeable and a bit of a turn off to me, since i'd only buy it for collectors purposes and it stuck out way too much

[quote name='ragingst0rm6']can anyone post pics of the 2nd edition reprint? I'm curious to know how it looks exactly, in particular the "2nd Edition" parts. Thanks![/QUOTE]

If you check the forums and even posts about the 2nd Edition, it is basically the same, except they have corrected a ton of errors.

In the first edition, much of the appendix was a mess

For example,

The Labyrinthian is listed on pages 58, 82-85. 58 is dragon mounds and the others are alchemy details. Page 62 is supposed to detail Side Quest - Blood on the Ice, it is actually the page of available homes for sale. Between pages 5 and 6, some items and figures are missing although called out in the text. There are bunch of spelling errors and there is missing content that some have complained about in the Prima forums. In addition to missing pages and poorly bound books -- some of these issues Prima has handled by sending a second book to those with a problem -- wonder how many end up on eBay.

Many of these issues are suppose to have been addressed. My brother is getting one for xmas so we will have to see after he opens his copy, If you google around you can find various discussions

[quote name='ragingst0rm6']can anyone post pics of the 2nd edition reprint? I'm curious to know how it looks exactly, in particular the "2nd Edition" parts. Thanks![/QUOTE]

Post #66 of this very thread holds the answer for which ye seek...

Heads up: if you still have your 50% off strategy guide coupon from Gamers club unlocked - Best buy locations are starting to get a few 2nd edition Skyrim Hardbound editions. Might be a good way to put that coupon to use and bring the cost down to $20. Cheers!

Go a few pages back, youll see a pic of the cover of the 2nd edition

Yep I saw it at a BB today. I noticed the "Second edition" thing on the bottom and wondered what was up with that.

So... does anyone think they'll put out a hardcover GOTY edition with the release of the GOTY game that will inevitably come? That's what's holding me off for the time being. I am not going to get to the game soon, and probably will hold off buying until the GOTY version comes out, and may as well get the GOTY guide with it.

The thing that troubles me is, will they make one? I think the market has changed in the time between Fallout 3 GOTY and this. They haven't made one (yet) for Fallout:NV, although the GOTY of that is not out either. I guess we'll see if they make one in Feb. when the GOTY of New Vegas comes out.

At any rate, it seems like availability for this guide is assured for quite some time. I don't think this one will sell out again like the "first edition" did. If I see a Fallout NV GOTY hardcover guide, I'll hold off on Skyrim too. If I don't, I might jump in to get one. I immensely enjoyed playing through FO3 with the ability to reference the GOTY guide and the excellent, excellent maps within.

Recieved mine early yesterday from amazon.....looks just like the pic. second edtion printed right on it...very nice book though.

[quote name='MochaRaf']Go a few pages back, youll see a pic of the cover of the 2nd edition[/QUOTE]

[quote name='TurboPascal']If you check the forums and even posts about the 2nd Edition, it is basically the same, except they have corrected a ton of errors.

In the first edition, much of the appendix was a mess

For example,

The Labyrinthian is listed on pages 58, 82-85. 58 is dragon mounds and the others are alchemy details. Page 62 is supposed to detail Side Quest - Blood on the Ice, it is actually the page of available homes for sale. Between pages 5 and 6, some items and figures are missing although called out in the text. There are bunch of spelling errors and there is missing content that some have complained about in the Prima forums. In addition to missing pages and poorly bound books -- some of these issues Prima has handled by sending a second book to those with a problem -- wonder how many end up on eBay.

Many of these issues are suppose to have been addressed. My brother is getting one for xmas so we will have to see after he opens his copy, If you google around you can find various discussions[/QUOTE]

[quote name='chriscolbert']Post #66 of this very thread holds the answer for which ye seek...[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the replies! I was on my phone and must have gotten skipped over the relevant posts. I happened to find a couple of copies at a local Best Buy, and the cover indeed looks exactly as pictured.

For those of you who are anal about having the 1st printing one just ended on ebay for $36, so the release of the 2nd edition has plummeted the price of the 1st one.

bread's done
Back