Skyrim Pricing

kratos1010

CAGiversary!
Is it just me, is it strange that Skyrim PC is the same cost as the console versions? Usually, PC ports are $10 cheaper, right?

PC games are unfortunately falling in to that trend now, but it was inevitable. Battlefield 3, Call of Duty, RAGE, and many others have been following suit. If that extra $10 is what they need to continue developing great games on the PC, I'll bend over and take it, being the spineless consumer that I am. Especially if it's Skyrim.

I doubt the extra 10 dollars is going to anything that will make a difference in the making of great games for PC unfortunaly, just more companies milking their consumers for all they're worth.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']PC games are unfortunately falling in to that trend now, but it was inevitable. Battlefield 3, Call of Duty, RAGE, and many others have been following suit. If that extra $10 is what they need to continue developing great games on the PC, I'll bend over and take it, being the spineless consumer that I am. Especially if it's Skyrim.[/QUOTE]

But the thing is that extra 10 dollars does NOT go into the games being better.

Will skyrim be better than say oblivion just because its 10 dollars more? No. What about the other dozens of games that came recently on the pc and coming out soon that dont cost 60 dollars that are or look really good also? What about the thousands of games to come out over the past few decades that were awesome without being 60 dollars?

Besides if you wait a month you can get it for 10-15 dollars cheaper and it will still be the exact same game you could have paid 60 for if you didnt just wait a little bit.

Im done paying full price for games. Especially for shit out franchise sequels.

The slightly cheaper price on PC games used to be because there's no licensing costs like there is with consoles. Now it seems to be that publishers are just saying "well, its the same game why shouldn't we charge the same price for it?"

[quote name='gargus']But the thing is that extra 10 dollars does NOT go into the games being better.

Will skyrim be better than say oblivion just because its 10 dollars more? No. What about the other dozens of games that came recently on the pc and coming out soon that dont cost 60 dollars that are or look really good also? What about the thousands of games to come out over the past few decades that were awesome without being 60 dollars?

Besides if you wait a month you can get it for 10-15 dollars cheaper and it will still be the exact same game you could have paid 60 for if you didnt just wait a little bit.

Im done paying full price for games. Especially for shit out franchise sequels.[/QUOTE]

Games have become more expensive because budgets keep getting larger. While higher budget does not always mean better game, it usually means better presentation. So if they said, we need to release at $60 in order to recoup the costs on all those kick-ass graphics, voice actors, orchestras, and level designers that we hired to make the game awesome, I'm cool with that.

And I would hardly call a game 5 1/2 years in the making "shit out." That's fair to say to yearly sequels like the Madden series, but come on. We're talking about Bethesda here.

[quote name='crystalklear64']pretty sure i paid 60$ for warcraft 3[/QUOTE]

That's kinda high. Did you really pay this when it released? I've got two old game boxes lying around for WC3 and Oblivion, both $45 bucks.
In fact, for WC3 we're talking 2002 which was PS2/Gamecube console era. Most games hadn't hit the 60 buck mark until this generation of consoles popped out.

[quote name='driver']That's kinda high. Did you really pay this when it released? I've got two old game boxes lying around for WC3 and Oblivion, both $45 bucks.
In fact, for WC3 we're talking 2002 which was PS2/Gamecube console era. Most games hadn't hit the 60 buck mark until this generation of consoles popped out.[/QUOTE]

There were many games that cost more than $50 at release before this generation. The MSRP for WarCraft 3 at release was indeed, $60. The collectors was $75.

I think that extra $10 goes to Bethesda's awesome marketing campaign.

But let's remember, games have been more expensive than this. I don't remember the exact price, but I know that N64 carts were more expensive than the average cost of games today.

bread's done
Back